Re: Spider identity?

  • Sean C
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 16, 2013
      It's an Orbweaver.

      We had one on our back deck one year. Every night for a week, it came out and made a web that spanned our lower deck to the upper deck and to our oak tree. That is 10 foot tall, and about 15 foot wide (150 sq. foot web). Not what you want to see when you walk out in the middle of the night and spot for the first time...

      -sean / sec-guy
    • Victor Engel
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 16, 2013
        The most amazing spider web I've ever seen was next to the Pan
        American Highway in the department of Huehuetenango, Guatemala. There
        were dozens or maybe hundreds of spiders in the same web. Unlike most
        communal webs, this was an orb web. Each spider had its own orb about
        three feet across. They connected to each other end to end so that
        they tiled a plane that connected the power line to the ground. The
        webs in each orb were the typical transparent color. The support lines
        the individual orbs were built on were thick, yellow lines.

        Victor

        On 6/16/13, Sean C <sean_curry@...> wrote:
        > It's an Orbweaver.
        >
        > We had one on our back deck one year. Every night for a week, it came out
        > and made a web that spanned our lower deck to the upper deck and to our oak
        > tree. That is 10 foot tall, and about 15 foot wide (150 sq. foot web). Not
        > what you want to see when you walk out in the middle of the night and spot
        > for the first time...
        >
        > -sean / sec-guy

      • Christa Ratcliff
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 17, 2013
          I have confirmed it to indeed be a Giant Lichen Orbweaver a.k.a  Araneus bicentarius.

          Waterweasel wins!   Thanks for all the input!

          Christa
          (Mom of the Cacherats!)

          On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 6:35 PM, cacherats1 <cnratcliff@...> wrote:

          Hi!

          We found this spider while out caching today on the Emma Long Trails. I can not determine what it is. Do any of you know? I found the one picture below on a blog from a Houston area cacher. He does not know what it is either.

          http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_My-WlOMmpsY/TBUA5_mwrjI/AAAAAAAABow/BYs8U7h32a4/s1600/BBES-spiders.jpg

          Here is the picture I took today. It is not as clear as the other one.

          http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/7700f694-f1f6-468e-93c6-af78fc2dd87a.jpg

          The web this spider makes is very large and round and the spider hides at the top of it under a leaf where the web attaches to a branch. It is a very large spider. It's body is bigger than a walnut by far. We've been in the woods around Austin many many times and I've never encountered this one. We came across it twice today.

          Thanks!
          Christa
          (Mom of the Cacherats!)

        • Christa Ratcliff
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 17, 2013
            Oops!  Sorry, Waterweasel, I missed the post where Victor actually identified the spider.  So, Victor is  the winner of this weeks spider identification!

            Thanks for all the contributions. I am really fascinated by this spider even though I am an arachnophobe.

            Christa