Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Spider identity?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 14, 2013
      Kind of looks like this one: Tom's nightmare - Araneus bicentenarius - Female

      Russ the Waterweasel

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 15, 2013
        Tom (EWB), some of us arachnophobes would prefer you keep your lucid dreaming to yourself....

        BarbJ = spiders, why'd it have to be spiders = Tygress

[...]

        <zzz!--~-|**|prettyhtmlstart|**|-~-->

        <zzz!--~-|**|prettyhtmlend|**|-~-->
        <zzz!--~-|**|prettyhtmlstart|**|-~--> <zzz!--~-|**|prettyhtmlend|**|-~--> <zzz!-- end="" group="" email="" --="">

        Political system upset?
        Democrats BIG advantage in America about to completely vanish
        stansberryresearch.com
      • Sean C
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 16, 2013
          It's an Orbweaver.

          We had one on our back deck one year. Every night for a week, it came out and made a web that spanned our lower deck to the upper deck and to our oak tree. That is 10 foot tall, and about 15 foot wide (150 sq. foot web). Not what you want to see when you walk out in the middle of the night and spot for the first time...

          -sean / sec-guy
        • Victor Engel
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 16, 2013
            The most amazing spider web I've ever seen was next to the Pan
            American Highway in the department of Huehuetenango, Guatemala. There
            were dozens or maybe hundreds of spiders in the same web. Unlike most
            communal webs, this was an orb web. Each spider had its own orb about
            three feet across. They connected to each other end to end so that
            they tiled a plane that connected the power line to the ground. The
            webs in each orb were the typical transparent color. The support lines
            the individual orbs were built on were thick, yellow lines.

            Victor

            On 6/16/13, Sean C <sean_curry@...> wrote:
            > It's an Orbweaver.
            >
            > We had one on our back deck one year. Every night for a week, it came out
            > and made a web that spanned our lower deck to the upper deck and to our oak
            > tree. That is 10 foot tall, and about 15 foot wide (150 sq. foot web). Not
            > what you want to see when you walk out in the middle of the night and spot
            > for the first time...
            >
            > -sean / sec-guy

          • Christa Ratcliff
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 17, 2013
              I have confirmed it to indeed be a Giant Lichen Orbweaver a.k.a  Araneus bicentarius.

              Waterweasel wins!   Thanks for all the input!

              Christa
              (Mom of the Cacherats!)

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 17, 2013
                Oops!  Sorry, Waterweasel, I missed the post where Victor actually identified the spider.  So, Victor is  the winner of this weeks spider identification!

                Thanks for all the contributions. I am really fascinated by this spider even though I am an arachnophobe.

                Christa