Spider identity?

  • cacherats1
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 14, 2013
      Hi!

      We found this spider while out caching today on the Emma Long Trails. I can not determine what it is. Do any of you know? I found the one picture below on a blog from a Houston area cacher. He does not know what it is either.

      http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_My-WlOMmpsY/TBUA5_mwrjI/AAAAAAAABow/BYs8U7h32a4/s1600/BBES-spiders.jpg

      Here is the picture I took today. It is not as clear as the other one.

      http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/7700f694-f1f6-468e-93c6-af78fc2dd87a.jpg

      The web this spider makes is very large and round and the spider hides at the top of it under a leaf where the web attaches to a branch. It is a very large spider. It's body is bigger than a walnut by far. We've been in the woods around Austin many many times and I've never encountered this one. We came across it twice today.

      Thanks!
      Christa
      (Mom of the Cacherats!)
    • Victor Engel
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 14, 2013
        Some species of Araneus.
        http://bugguide.net/node/view/1977/bgpage

        On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 6:35 PM, cacherats1 <cnratcliff@...> wrote:
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

      • Victor Engel

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 14, 2013
            Kind of looks like this one: Tom's nightmare - Araneus bicentenarius - Female

            Russ the Waterweasel

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 15, 2013
              Tom (EWB), some of us arachnophobes would prefer you keep your lucid dreaming to yourself....

              BarbJ = spiders, why'd it have to be spiders = Tygress

[...]

              <zzz!--~-|**|prettyhtmlstart|**|-~-->

              <zzz!--~-|**|prettyhtmlend|**|-~-->
              <zzz!--~-|**|prettyhtmlstart|**|-~--> <zzz!--~-|**|prettyhtmlend|**|-~--> <zzz!-- end="" group="" email="" --="">

              Political system upset?
              Democrats BIG advantage in America about to completely vanish
              stansberryresearch.com
            • Sean C
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 16, 2013
                It's an Orbweaver.

                We had one on our back deck one year. Every night for a week, it came out and made a web that spanned our lower deck to the upper deck and to our oak tree. That is 10 foot tall, and about 15 foot wide (150 sq. foot web). Not what you want to see when you walk out in the middle of the night and spot for the first time...

                -sean / sec-guy
              • Victor Engel
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 16, 2013
                  The most amazing spider web I've ever seen was next to the Pan
                  American Highway in the department of Huehuetenango, Guatemala. There
                  were dozens or maybe hundreds of spiders in the same web. Unlike most
                  communal webs, this was an orb web. Each spider had its own orb about
                  three feet across. They connected to each other end to end so that
                  they tiled a plane that connected the power line to the ground. The
                  webs in each orb were the typical transparent color. The support lines
                  the individual orbs were built on were thick, yellow lines.

                  Victor

                  On 6/16/13, Sean C <sean_curry@...> wrote:
                  > It's an Orbweaver.
                  >
                  > We had one on our back deck one year. Every night for a week, it came out
                  > and made a web that spanned our lower deck to the upper deck and to our oak
                  > tree. That is 10 foot tall, and about 15 foot wide (150 sq. foot web). Not
                  > what you want to see when you walk out in the middle of the night and spot
                  > for the first time...
                  >
                  > -sean / sec-guy

                • Christa Ratcliff
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 17, 2013
                    I have confirmed it to indeed be a Giant Lichen Orbweaver a.k.a  Araneus bicentarius.

                    Waterweasel wins!   Thanks for all the input!

                    Christa
                    (Mom of the Cacherats!)

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 17, 2013
                      Oops!  Sorry, Waterweasel, I missed the post where Victor actually identified the spider.  So, Victor is  the winner of this weeks spider identification!

                      Thanks for all the contributions. I am really fascinated by this spider even though I am an arachnophobe.

                      Christa