Re: Seattle, Salt Lake, or Alaska Bound TBs

  • Indigo Parrish
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 13, 2013
      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Jay Bingham wrote:

      > Charlie,
      >

      > Your comment about caches on Gitmo is funny, but may be slightly
      inaccurate.
      > There are actually 11 caches on the base at Gitmo. All of them placed
      after
      > the base began to be used as a detention facility.

      Those two kayak caches in the bay sure look inviting.
      Can you imagine what a roundabout adventure it must
      be to log those ??

      -Keith (Indigo Parrish)

      P.S. Google Maps shows the GTMO region inside a section labeled
      "United States." So maybe they wouldn't count as finds in Cuba after
      all ?
    • Jay Bingham
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 13, 2013

        Keith,

        I thought of you when I saw those two on the island.

        As far as where they would count as finds, all I know is that Geocaching.com lists their location as Cuba , so I suppose that they would count as finds in Cuba , even though the map shows them as in the US . I suppose what country they are in depends on who you talk to. The Cubans, I assume, feel that the land is theirs and I suppose eventually it will be, since they are not likely to renew the lease on it unless there is a major regime change. Of course right now the only people likely to have access to them are members of the US military who are posted there plus the few other non-military who have reason to be on that base.

        --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX
        |+| Georgetown , TX USA

        > Your comment about caches on Gitmo is funny, but may be slightly
        inaccurate.
        > There are actually 11 caches on the base at Gitmo. All of them placed
        after
        > the base began to be used as a detention facility.

        Those two kayak caches in the bay sure look inviting.
        Can you imagine what a roundabout adventure it must
        be to log those ??

        -Keith (Indigo Parrish)

        P.S. Google Maps shows the GTMO region inside a section labeled
        " United States ." So maybe they wouldn't count as finds in Cuba after
        all ?

      • electric_water_boy
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 14, 2013
          Look at the profile for mightymouse0913. The GTMO caches show as Cuba in the statistics.

          EWB - Tom

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 14, 2013
            Gitmo is technically leased from the Cuban Government, so it is also technically still part of Cuba.

            Russ the Waterweasel