Seattle, Salt Lake, or Alaska Bound TBs

  • origami cacher
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 10, 2013
      Hi all,
      I will be traveling to "the Last Frontier" for the last two weeks in July 2013. If any of you have TBs that list Alaska, Washington State, or Utah as their destinations, you can drop them off at the Travel Bug Motel 6 twenty between now and then and I will be happy to move them along.

      http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d6987091-9806-4f76-87f8-7b76fdb4145c

      I could make the TSA agents scratch their pretty little heads as I jump up in down naked in their full body scanners while my carry on luggage is prompting a closer look and geocaching seminar about those strange little dog tags not associated with military service tucked in my bag. Seriously, I will arrive early enough to stow them in my checked luggage if TSA freaks out, but my original idea could make my layovers a little less boring, don't you think?
    • bcfroma
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 11, 2013
        Be careful about what TBs you have with you. If any of them even slightly
        resemble a weapon, you may be pulled off your flight and detained while the
        TSA, FBI, NSA, and CIA run background checks on you. And if your name comes
        even close to somebody on one of their terrorist lists, you may get an
        extended holiday in Gitmo instead of Alaska. As far as I know, there are no
        geocaches at Gitmo.

        Other than that, have a nice time.

        Cache on,
        Backwards Charlie from Austin
      • Jay Bingham
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 11, 2013

          Charlie,

          Your comment about caches on Gitmo is funny, but may be slightly inaccurate. There are actually 11 caches on the base at Gitmo. All of them placed after the base began to be used as a detention facility.

          Here is the info on them:

          Fav’s

          Type

          Name

          Owner

          GEOcode

          Loc

          D/T

          Size

          Placed

          0

          Traditional

          Two Historical Landing Site

          by jbmontalvo

          GC171M9

          Cuba

          1.5/1.5

          Micro

          10/29/2007

          0

          Traditional

          GTMO-See the Sea

          by stupidcodes

          GCYJ90

          Cuba

          2/1

          Regular

          09/28/2006

          0

          Traditional

          GTMO - Chapel Hill #2

          by curyy4me2

          GC2BAX2

          Cuba

          1.5/1.5

          Small

          07/06/2010

          1

          Traditional

          Glass Beach (GTMO)

          by sportsmanj, GreenMoose22

          GC20NHD

          Cuba

          2.5/3

          Small

          11/05/2009

          1

          Traditional

          Pill on the Hill (GTMO)

          by sportsmanj, GreenMoose22

          GC20N84

          Cuba

          2.5/4.5

          Small

          11/05/2009

          0

          Traditional

          hospital cay#1

          by emtsaxton

          GC207WJ

          Cuba

          1/5

          Regular

          12/20/2008

          0

          Traditional

          GTMO-John Paul Jones Hill

          by ZincChloride and JohnGTMO

          GC1D147

          Cuba

          1.5/1.5

          Small

          06/07/2008

          0

          Traditional

          hospital cay#2

          by emtsaxton

          GC207WX

          Cuba

          1/5

          Regular

          12/20/2008

          0

          Traditional

          Ridgeline Rumble

          by mightymouse0913

          GC3BFC0

          Cuba

          1.5/1.5

          Other

          01/25/2012

          1

          Traditional

          EA1 Ross Pecua Jr. Monument (GTMO) #3?

          by curyy4me2

          GC2BAY0

          Cuba

          1.5/1.5

          Small

          07/06/2010

          0

          Traditional

          GTMO- the other side

          by Carissa

          GCKQCR

          Cuba

          1.5/1

          Regular

          07/17/2004

          However, since none of them appear to be inside the detention areas, in that case you are correct.

          -- Jay /\ Bing-GTX
          + Georgetown , TX USA
          -- “What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.”

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 13, 2013
            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Jay Bingham wrote:

            > Charlie,
            >

            > Your comment about caches on Gitmo is funny, but may be slightly
            inaccurate.
            > There are actually 11 caches on the base at Gitmo. All of them placed
            after
            > the base began to be used as a detention facility.

            Those two kayak caches in the bay sure look inviting.
            Can you imagine what a roundabout adventure it must
            be to log those ??

            -Keith (Indigo Parrish)

            P.S. Google Maps shows the GTMO region inside a section labeled
            "United States." So maybe they wouldn't count as finds in Cuba after
            all ?
          • Jay Bingham
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 13, 2013

              Keith,

              I thought of you when I saw those two on the island.

              As far as where they would count as finds, all I know is that Geocaching.com lists their location as Cuba , so I suppose that they would count as finds in Cuba , even though the map shows them as in the US . I suppose what country they are in depends on who you talk to. The Cubans, I assume, feel that the land is theirs and I suppose eventually it will be, since they are not likely to renew the lease on it unless there is a major regime change. Of course right now the only people likely to have access to them are members of the US military who are posted there plus the few other non-military who have reason to be on that base.

              --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX
              |+| Georgetown , TX USA

              > Your comment about caches on Gitmo is funny, but may be slightly
              inaccurate.
              > There are actually 11 caches on the base at Gitmo. All of them placed
              after
              > the base began to be used as a detention facility.

              Those two kayak caches in the bay sure look inviting.
              Can you imagine what a roundabout adventure it must
              be to log those ??

              -Keith (Indigo Parrish)

              P.S. Google Maps shows the GTMO region inside a section labeled
              " United States ." So maybe they wouldn't count as finds in Cuba after
              all ?

            • electric_water_boy
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 14, 2013
                Look at the profile for mightymouse0913. The GTMO caches show as Cuba in the statistics.

                EWB - Tom

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 14, 2013
                  Gitmo is technically leased from the Cuban Government, so it is also technically still part of Cuba.

                  Russ the Waterweasel