Free Garmin Maps

  • J Crozier
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27 7:08 PM
      A month or so ago, I posted a question to the group asking if anyone knew of a source of free routable maps for the entire US for Garmin.  Well, I can now report that there is such a thing, and its simple to get off the internet and works really well in a Garmin 62s!

      These maps are updated frequently!  High level of detail.  Routable. Comes in multiple file formats for loading to different machines.

      If you are traveling internationally and want to pull non-US maps, you can go here:  http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/  and create your own map for the area you're interested in.

      Enjoy!

      Cheers,

    • Dave Read
      Message 2 of 2 , May 28 1:05 PM
        As of about ten minutes ago, I can report that these maps work correctly on a Garmin Oregon 450 as well.

        I had a spare 8 GB SDHC card lying around, so I gave it a shot. No problem at all…it took about half an hour to download the ~2.5 GB zip file over BitTorrent (if you have never done this, it's easy and there are plenty of BT clients available for Windows/Mac/Linux/whatever),  then about 5 minutes for my computer to unzip the thing, and about 5-10 minutes to copy the resulting 3.7 GB file onto the card.

        I fired up the Oregon, zoomed in on my area, and "lo! and behold!" it had my neighborhood's streets exactly right. I tried routing from my house in Oak Hill to my mother's house in Cedar Park, and the route computation was quick and plenty accurate.

        All in all, it works PERFECTLY.

        THANKS Julie for bringing this goodness to my attention!