Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Upgrading Garmin GPS Survey

  • Dave Read
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
      I will chime in with similar experiences. I have had a 450 (no 't') for ~2 years. Accuracy is acceptable, battery life fair. The screen is good but they did a lousy job with UI usability, IMO. I have stuffed well over 4k caches onto it at a time, but it gets squirrelly when you do that, and I have had to perform a "field reset" of the unit more than once when it's loaded down like that. Now I never exceed 3k and try to keep it under 2k.

      Like thenkengrene I have seen some unstable behavior when connecting over the USB port. The unit seems to be very sensitive to quality of USB cable, so now I know which cable to use with it and mostly it's OK.

      The Wherigo player is unstable in the extreme, almost to the point of being unusable. I gather Groundspeak and Garmin are no longer on speaking terms, so I doubt this will ever get fixed. :(

      All in all, I'd rate it a 7 out of 10. It's good, but nowhere near perfect.

      On Apr 29, 2013, at 5:00 PM, Bill Ellis <zionzr2@...> wrote:

      I'd have to second John's report on the Oregon 450. I have had mine for a close to a couple years.

      It works great with GSAK. (both loading caches on and logging caches after a run) It will hold well over 3000 caches. (i think they say 5k is the limit) IT will do wherigos and can do wireless transfer of waypoints including caches to similar units.

      Accuracy is pretty good.  some say may not be quite as good as the 60, but that may very depending on all the different variables in accuracy.

      Bill
      a.k.a ZionZR2
      512-789-1469