Slightly, by not far Off Topic - Mapping GPS Tracks

  • lizeebie
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2013
      Hi all! I am hoping that the vast knowledge base that is the CenTex Geocachers Yahoo group will be able to help out a good friend of mine. Jasmin is an equine endurance rider. She is trying to map her first trail ride on a 1000 acre ranch north of Austin. She's used an app called MapMyRun to map the trails on the ranch, but now needs to combine and manipulate them. Can anyone help her?

      Here is her email to me:

      "I am organizing an equine endurance ride on a 1000 acre ranch. The trail loops will be 10, 15 and 20 miles in length. I have mapped the ranch trails on Mapmyrun. I upgraded to a MVP member in hopes it would give me the ability to manipulate and combine maps into one. Unfortunately it did not. I cannot combine them. I have approximately 13 maps in Mapmyrun of varying lengths that I need to combine and manipulate. There are several trails that are repeated on the maps, but I need to drop & drag trails to create the 10, 15, 20 miles plus I'd like to mark water & gates. I can export the Mapmyrun maps into a GPX or KML file format.

      Is there a software I can purchase that will give me the ability I am looking for? A friend recommended purchasing the Oregon 550t with the topographical maps loaded. I briefly searched the web and it appears I can upload maps (routes to it), but I don't know if I can manipulate and combine the routes after I upload them. Is this the best solution? "

      Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

      Liz
      Lizeebie
    • GrnBeret2B
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2013
        She shouldn't need to buy a GPS to do this.  Have her look into Garmin's Basecamp (http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp).  I'm not entirely sure it can do what she wants, but it's free and buying an Oregon is most definitely not. ;)

        Nathaniel
        a.k.a. Grn Beret 2B

        On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 10:44 AM, lizeebie <lizeebie@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Dave Read
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2013
          Or just google for "KML editing software" and start browsing the buffet of choices. There are many.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 30, 2013
            Thanks Nathaniel! She's checking it out right now!

            liz
            lizeebie