Re: Upgrading Garmin GPS Survey

  • Matthew A
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29 2:05 PM
      Is anyone using a Magellan eXplorist 510?

      Matthew

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew A" <matthewa625@...> wrote:

      > I have a Garmin 60CSx that I have had since 2007.
      >
      > I am considering upgrading to one of these units: Oregon 450t, 550t, 600t, or 62stc
      >
      > I would like to hear all likes and dislikes of these units from anyone. Things like easy of use, accuracy, loading geocaches, logging multiple finds, will it work with GSAK, etc....
      >
      > Matthew mda_taz

    • Barbara Dukette
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29 2:30 PM
        Matthew, I love my 60csx.  I'm on #2.  Could I buy yours if its still working?

        Barbara Gigi and JoJo

        On Apr 29, 2013, at 4:05 PM, "Matthew A" <matthewa625@...> wrote:

        Is anyone using a Magellan eXplorist 510?

        Matthew

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew A" <matthewa625@...> wrote:

        > I have a Garmin 60CSx that I have had since 2007.
        >
        > I am considering upgrading to one of these units: Oregon 450t, 550t, 600t, or 62stc
        >
        > I would like to hear all likes and dislikes of these units from anyone. Things like easy of use, accuracy, loading geocaches, logging multiple finds, will it work with GSAK, etc....
        >
        > Matthew mda_taz

      • Bill Ellis
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 29 3:00 PM
          I'd have to second John's report on the Oregon 450. I have had mine for a close to a couple years.

          It works great with GSAK. (both loading caches on and logging caches after a run) It will hold well over 3000 caches. (i think they say 5k is the limit) IT will do wherigos and can do wireless transfer of waypoints including caches to similar units.

          Accuracy is pretty good.  some say may not be quite as good as the 60, but that may very depending on all the different variables in accuracy.

          ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
          Bill
          a.k.a ZionZR2
          512-789-1469
          <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
        • Dave Read
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29 3:41 PM
            I will chime in with similar experiences. I have had a 450 (no 't') for ~2 years. Accuracy is acceptable, battery life fair. The screen is good but they did a lousy job with UI usability, IMO. I have stuffed well over 4k caches onto it at a time, but it gets squirrelly when you do that, and I have had to perform a "field reset" of the unit more than once when it's loaded down like that. Now I never exceed 3k and try to keep it under 2k.

            Like thenkengrene I have seen some unstable behavior when connecting over the USB port. The unit seems to be very sensitive to quality of USB cable, so now I know which cable to use with it and mostly it's OK.

            The Wherigo player is unstable in the extreme, almost to the point of being unusable. I gather Groundspeak and Garmin are no longer on speaking terms, so I doubt this will ever get fixed. :(

            All in all, I'd rate it a 7 out of 10. It's good, but nowhere near perfect.

            On Apr 29, 2013, at 5:00 PM, Bill Ellis <zionzr2@...> wrote:

            I'd have to second John's report on the Oregon 450. I have had mine for a close to a couple years.

            It works great with GSAK. (both loading caches on and logging caches after a run) It will hold well over 3000 caches. (i think they say 5k is the limit) IT will do wherigos and can do wireless transfer of waypoints including caches to similar units.

            Accuracy is pretty good.  some say may not be quite as good as the 60, but that may very depending on all the different variables in accuracy.

            ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
            Bill
            a.k.a ZionZR2
            512-789-1469
            <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

          • electric_water_boy
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 30 5:10 AM
              NUrHand in San Antonio has one.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 30 6:01 AM
                I have an Oregon...550? I don't know, I don't track those #s.
                My first unit went back to the shop twice -- technology was but a year or so old -- but since they replaced it (the magical serial # change fix), it's been fine.
                I've gotten used to its 'little ways' -- the interface is enough different from the 60 series that it takes some adjusting. But ultimately I like it better -- the touch screen is slightly quicker and more direct. Or feels that way.
                It got a bit neurotic for a while, but then Melanie/ACCLanMan took it in hand and did that magic voodoo scrubbing thing she does, and it's been champion ever since.
                My only error was not getting an invisishield installed on it -- the screen is slightly roughed up. On the other hand, the unit is in better shape than Waterweasel's year younger 62 (he may be particularly rough on units, however -- I think Mel's and Trey's 62s are holding up fine).
                Battery power (non-rechargable -- I know, I'm awful) lasts about a full day of Power caching. I'd say about the same as the 62.

                The use of a GPS is so idiosyncratic, however, that your mileage would surely vary.
                That said, I would probably replace it in kind when its end days do arrive.
                I really do like the touch-screen navigation.

                (I do NOT, however, use it to take pictures. Sure, it does in a pinch, & they're fine -- but my phone is more familiar, I guess.)

                BarbJ/Tygress

                Matthew, I love my 60csx.  I'm on #2.  Could I buy yours if its still working?

                Barbara Gigi and JoJo

                On Apr 29, 2013, at 4:05 PM, "Matthew A" <matthewa625@...> wrote:

                Is anyone using a Magellan eXplorist 510?

                Matthew

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew A" <matthewa625@...> wrote:

                > I have a Garmin 60CSx that I have had since 2007.
                >
                > I am considering upgrading to one of these units: Oregon 450t, 550t, 600t, or 62stc
                >
                > I would like to hear all likes and dislikes of these units from anyone. Things like easy of use, accuracy, loading geocaches, logging multiple finds, will it work with GSAK, etc....
                >
                > Matthew mda_taz

                How to Sleep Like a Rock
                peaklife.com