Texas Challenge 2013 & 2104, and TXGA

  • electric_water_boy
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2013
      For those who haven't heard the results, North Texas won the 2013 Texas Challenge. CenTex came in second. The points difference between 1st, 2nd and 3rd was enough that any scoring errors would not have made a hill of beans difference. The difference between 3rd and 4th was close, and between 4th and 5th even closer. West got 3rd, East got 4th, Southeast 5th, and South got the ammo can with a story behind it for last.

      I can say for me and the people I ran around with, we had a great time.

      I REALLY want to thank Melanie and Trey for stepping up and helping load. Even my cranky GPSr got loaded with no problems! I don't know who all worked on the puzzles, but by the time we needed to leave they had them all solved. Awesome!

      So now we need to start on the ball with 2014.

      For those who are going to play, you'll need to pick a captain. It can't be me, and besides, I've done it enough. It ain't rocket science. You do have to have a place to keep all these ammo cans we keep winning.

      For some that are going to lay, and all those who aren't, I NEED HELP. Yeah, that kind too, but I mean for planning and organizing the Challenge. I have never done such a thing, but work is in progress. Trackable table has a happy leader. Pretty sure I have one for Kiddie Camp. Both will need help. I want to be on the hide team, but I don't want to run it. In fact, I don't want to lead any of the teams. I just want to know that stuff is getting done. More on all this later.

      And lastly, you'll need to start thinking of who you want as your CenTex rep. I won't be running again. I think we had this as part of the bylaw changes - my brain is fried. But I've been there enough. It's time for someone else to take the reigns. I hope who ever takes over gets people in different areas of the region to help with problems. I didn't do that. I also didn't get someone to help with education. I just got certified by TXGA, so the role I want to play in the future in TXGA is with educating new geocachers. I'm looking forward to it.

      I know that's a lot in one post, so feel free to break it up to make this more managable.

      EWB - Tom
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2013
        I want to stand up and applaud and thank Tom for all the hard work he's done for we reprobates over the past years.
        Appreciate it.

        And woo woo CenTex!

        BarbJ/Tygress

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

        How to Sleep Like a Rock
        peaklife.com
      • Paul Albers
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2013
          Absolutely! I second that. I can't even imagine how much time and effort all those tasks took.
          There is no way I could ever take something like that on, so am extremely grateful for your
          willingness to step and do a wonderful job. You have represented CenTex amazingly.

          The fact that you mentioned needing multiple to people to fill the roles you had taken on, says
          a great deal about just how much you did!

          Thank you!!

          -paul
          HiDude_98

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 8, 2013
            Second the motion!

            Russ the Waterweasel

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 8, 2013
              Thanks Tom!

              You have done a great job for CenTex it is too bad you cannot continue...

              Surely we will have another great person amongst us who will step up to the challenge. Our next leader  will have a great group of cachers  to lean on!.

              Cache on EWB

              Shawn/s6sputnik
            • electric_water_boy
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 8, 2013
                I don't want to gove the wrong impression here. The rep role up until now hasn't been all that time consuming. There is a monthly board meeting that we do over the phone that last about an hour, some times a little longer. I did do a rewrite of the bylaws that didn't get voted on at this election, and I was ticked about that for a bit, but I'm not now as I now know more tweaking needs to be done.

                The reason I think there needs to be some help for the Rep is that our area is so big there's no way any of us can know everyone or deal with their issues as they pop up. Even South Texas has the problem. I dealt a couple of times with some South Texas problems because what would have been a 3 hour drive for their rep was 20 minutes for me, if that.

                I'm proof enough that most anyone that reads this could do job. I will say you should have some thick skin, a bad memory (so you won't hold grudges), the ability to play well with others while standing your ground, and be able to stand back and look at all sides of a problem. I won't say I do all those well, but I try. I know that there others out that that are plenty capable. They might just need someone to ask them to do it.