Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Multi Caching for Dummies

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 28, 2013
      Hi!

      Yes, with a multi, start at the posted coordinates (unless the cache page specifically says otherwise) and look for what we call a 'redirector'.  A redirector is essentially a cache with another set of coordinates to go to.  Keep it up until you come to the final container.  Most multis will tell you the number of 'legs' you need to complete (ie, 3 legs means 2 redirectors and the final.)

      With a puzzle, you need to read the cache page carefully.  Some are 'solve on site', in which case you go to the posted coordinates and then follow directions.  Some are 'not at the posted coordinates', in which case you'll need to solve the puzzle first to get the correct coordinates.

      BTW, when posting, it helps (for those of us who are name challenged, like myself) to sign with both your real name and your geocaching name.

      Hope that this helps!

      Russ the Waterweasel

      So far I have been sticking with traditional caches. but there is a multi so close to home that I've been thinking about trying. I just don't know where to start. Are the posted coordinates the starting point? Any advice would be great.

    • GrnBeret2B
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 28, 2013
        I think the others have covered the basics of multis, just don't start with MONSTER (http://coord.info/GCKGF2), or you'll never want to go near a multi again!

        ~~Nathaniel
        a.k.a. GrnBeret2B

        On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Craig and Amy <monkey4@...> wrote:

        So far I have been sticking with traditional caches. but there is a multi so close to home that I've been thinking about trying. I just don't know where to start. Are the posted coordinates the starting point? Any advice would be great.

      • Lyn
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 28, 2013
          Yes, the posted coords are the starting point,  and when you find the first stage instead of a logbook you will find the coords for the next stage,  The log will be in the last stage.  I can't speak for the multis in SA, but other places I have cached multis I have found that sometimes all the stages are within a short distance of each other, other times across town from each other, some are 2 stages and other times 6 or 7 stages.  Owners choice. Hope this helps and Happy hunting,

          .Lyn aka 4everlyn

          So far I have been sticking with traditional caches. but there is a multi so close to home that I've been thinking about trying. I just don't know where to start. Are the posted coordinates the starting point? Any advice would be great.

        • Craig and Amy Higgason
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 30, 2013
            Thanks for all the tips regarding multis. I guess I was a little intimidated by them. I am ready to go tackle one to add some variety to my finds.

            Craig the happycampers97