Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Caching in Italy

  • J Crozier
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24, 2013
      Just goes to show ya, no matter where you go, there's a geocache there!

      We had a similar experience in Israel where we were with a group of non-cachers with no vehicle of our own.  We just kept watching our GPSs, and it seems like every time we stopped at someplace important, there was a geocache we could sneak away quickly and grab.  I just love it when a new country turns red on my map!

      Those Germans are WILD about geocaching. Sometimes, I think, even more than WE are!

      Thanks for sharing your story!
      Cheers,

      On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Hellbringer <subhumank3@...> wrote:

      I haven't posted in the group in ages, but I get the digests and enjoy reading them.

      I thought you guys might like this little adventure I had today...

      I'm currently in Germany for another week before heading back to Central Texas and my group had a weekend trip into Italy. I wanted to geocache like crazy, but I had some noncachers with me, so I had to severely curb my enthusiasm of caching in another country. Thus I only got one cache in Venice. However, I hit three in Verona today, and only expected to get one...

      The first cache was more of a novelty for two people who hung around me during our self-tour of Verona. The second cache though... here's the cache link: http://coord.info/GC3PC0W

      Basically, our group was checking out the backside of the Verona Coliseum when another person and I spotted two people looking for something. After spotting their GPS, I jumped over and asked them if they were looking for a cache. After a couple of seconds, we discovered it together.

      The third cache was one I wasn't even aware to be in the area of where we were eating for lunch: http://coord.info/GC35FY4

      I was wondering around the restaurant and when I returned, I noticed a family looking at metal poles, signs, and anything else metallic. After watching them for a couple of seconds, while trying to look like I was admiring the nearby structures, I asked the adults if they were geocaching. Now, I say that I wasn't aware of the cache's location, but I study all the geocaches in the center of Verona the morning we headed into town. I was not aware of where our restaurant was located because I turned my tablet off; I left my Garmin on my kitchen table back in Texas by accident. I let them know I had to grab my tablet and I would be right back. After a couple of minutes, we found the cache and bid farewell.

      I haven't cached regularly in about two years for personal reasons, but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to cache in another country. Now, I mention the nationalities of the geocachers I met, because like I said, I'm currently in Germany (for some training), and while caching here, I haven't ran into anyone. But I go to Italy, and I run into not one, but two groups of geocachers from the country I'm temporarily staying in.

      This was definitely a fun time, and a good adventure. Just thought I'd share.

      -Will "Mongoosehide"

    • Jay Bingham
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 26, 2013

        How fun for you. I always enjoy meeting cachers on the trail.

        --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX