Caching in Italy

  • Hellbringer
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24, 2013
      I haven't posted in the group in ages, but I get the digests and enjoy reading them.

      I thought you guys might like this little adventure I had today...

      I'm currently in Germany for another week before heading back to Central Texas and my group had a weekend trip into Italy. I wanted to geocache like crazy, but I had some noncachers with me, so I had to severely curb my enthusiasm of caching in another country. Thus I only got one cache in Venice. However, I hit three in Verona today, and only expected to get one...

      The first cache was more of a novelty for two people who hung around me during our self-tour of Verona. The second cache though... here's the cache link: http://coord.info/GC3PC0W

      Basically, our group was checking out the backside of the Verona Coliseum when another person and I spotted two people looking for something. After spotting their GPS, I jumped over and asked them if they were looking for a cache. After a couple of seconds, we discovered it together.

      The third cache was one I wasn't even aware to be in the area of where we were eating for lunch: http://coord.info/GC35FY4

      I was wondering around the restaurant and when I returned, I noticed a family looking at metal poles, signs, and anything else metallic. After watching them for a couple of seconds, while trying to look like I was admiring the nearby structures, I asked the adults if they were geocaching. Now, I say that I wasn't aware of the cache's location, but I study all the geocaches in the center of Verona the morning we headed into town. I was not aware of where our restaurant was located because I turned my tablet off; I left my Garmin on my kitchen table back in Texas by accident. I let them know I had to grab my tablet and I would be right back. After a couple of minutes, we found the cache and bid farewell.

      I haven't cached regularly in about two years for personal reasons, but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to cache in another country. Now, I mention the nationalities of the geocachers I met, because like I said, I'm currently in Germany (for some training), and while caching here, I haven't ran into anyone. But I go to Italy, and I run into not one, but two groups of geocachers from the country I'm temporarily staying in.

      This was definitely a fun time, and a good adventure. Just thought I'd share.

      -Will "Mongoosehide"
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 24, 2013
        Waterweasel & I had a fun time with a Czech group in Prague... serendipitiously met. Even though it ended up a DNF (happily, having one who spoke the language confirmed with the tour boat employee dockside, we'd looked in the right spot, but the cache was muggled). Isn't this sport great!?! Congrats on the serendipitous caches!

        BarbJ/Tygress

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

      • J Crozier
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 24, 2013
          Just goes to show ya, no matter where you go, there's a geocache there!

          We had a similar experience in Israel where we were with a group of non-cachers with no vehicle of our own.  We just kept watching our GPSs, and it seems like every time we stopped at someplace important, there was a geocache we could sneak away quickly and grab.  I just love it when a new country turns red on my map!

          Those Germans are WILD about geocaching. Sometimes, I think, even more than WE are!

          Thanks for sharing your story!
          Cheers,

          On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Hellbringer <subhumank3@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Jay Bingham
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 26, 2013

            How fun for you. I always enjoy meeting cachers on the trail.

            --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX