Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Open Street Maps?

  • Bill Ellis
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 10 4:00 PM
      I do not know the size of the open maps, but the garmin North America maps are just a hair under 2 GB That includes All USA, Canada, Mexico, and a couple of the US Territory islands. a 4GB or 8GB card perferably class 6 or better will be fine for any maps you would want.

      On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM, J Crozier <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:

      I'm going to load it into a GPS.  Since I can buy a chip with a whole map set, I don't see why I won't have the storage for it.  Maybe I'm wrong!  But I've had success with smaller map sets.  The web site I'm using won't let me generate the whole US, but I have a feeling they're out there.  Couldn't hurt to ask!

      On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Victor Engel <brillig@...> wrote:

      Why do you want the whole US? That would be a huge amount of data. Do you even have the storage for it? How will you be using it?

      Victor Engel

      On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM, J Crozier <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:

      Does anyone have a complete US map from Open Streets Maps that they could load to the files of this group?  I haven't been successful getting a full set.  Does anybody have links or tips or ideas for me?

      Open Streets Maps are free routable maps available online, and I'm experimenting.  I was able to get Bermuda maps for our recent trip there, but getting the whole US has been a real challenge.

      HELP!

      ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
      Bill
      a.k.a ZionZR2
      512-789-1469
      <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
    • Victor Engel

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 10 4:15 PM
          Yep!  I have my SD card.  Now I'm looking for the OSM US routable street maps for Garmin as one file.  I found a site that supposedly has a set to download, but when I click the link, the website is unavailable.  I'm working on downloading the torrent version now, but I've never done that, so we'll see what I get.

          On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 6:00 PM, Bill Ellis <zionzr2@...> wrote:

          I do not know the size of the open maps, but the garmin North America maps are just a hair under 2 GB That includes All USA, Canada, Mexico, and a couple of the US Territory islands. a 4GB or 8GB card perferably class 6 or better will be fine for any maps you would want.

          On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM, J Crozier <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:

          I'm going to load it into a GPS.  Since I can buy a chip with a whole map set, I don't see why I won't have the storage for it.  Maybe I'm wrong!  But I've had success with smaller map sets.  The web site I'm using won't let me generate the whole US, but I have a feeling they're out there.  Couldn't hurt to ask!

          On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Victor Engel <brillig@...> wrote:

          Why do you want the whole US? That would be a huge amount of data. Do you even have the storage for it? How will you be using it?

          Victor Engel

          On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM, J Crozier <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:

          Does anyone have a complete US map from Open Streets Maps that they could load to the files of this group?  I haven't been successful getting a full set.  Does anybody have links or tips or ideas for me?

          Open Streets Maps are free routable maps available online, and I'm experimenting.  I was able to get Bermuda maps for our recent trip there, but getting the whole US has been a real challenge.

          HELP!

          ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
          Bill
          a.k.a ZionZR2
          512-789-1469

        • Victor Engel

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 10 4:43 PM
              Oops. The full file is smaller than I remembered. Here's a document describing the full file.

              http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Planet.osm

              For country-specific data, try http://downloads.cloudmade.com/

              I've not used this service, but it seems like it should get you what you want -- not in a single file, but it a handful of files.

              Victor Engel