Open Street Maps?

  • J Crozier
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 10, 2013
      Does anyone have a complete US map from Open Streets Maps that they could load to the files of this group?  I haven't been successful getting a full set.  Does anybody have links or tips or ideas for me?

      Open Streets Maps are free routable maps available online, and I'm experimenting.  I was able to get Bermuda maps for our recent trip there, but getting the whole US has been a real challenge.

      HELP!
    • Victor Engel

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 10, 2013
            I do not know the size of the open maps, but the garmin North America maps are just a hair under 2 GB That includes All USA, Canada, Mexico, and a couple of the US Territory islands. a 4GB or 8GB card perferably class 6 or better will be fine for any maps you would want.

            On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM, J Crozier <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:

            I'm going to load it into a GPS.  Since I can buy a chip with a whole map set, I don't see why I won't have the storage for it.  Maybe I'm wrong!  But I've had success with smaller map sets.  The web site I'm using won't let me generate the whole US, but I have a feeling they're out there.  Couldn't hurt to ask!

            On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Victor Engel <brillig@...> wrote:

            Why do you want the whole US? That would be a huge amount of data. Do you even have the storage for it? How will you be using it?

            Victor Engel

            On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM, J Crozier <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:

            Does anyone have a complete US map from Open Streets Maps that they could load to the files of this group?  I haven't been successful getting a full set.  Does anybody have links or tips or ideas for me?

            Open Streets Maps are free routable maps available online, and I'm experimenting.  I was able to get Bermuda maps for our recent trip there, but getting the whole US has been a real challenge.

            HELP!

            ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
            Bill
            a.k.a ZionZR2
            512-789-1469
            <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
          • Victor Engel

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 10, 2013
                Yep!  I have my SD card.  Now I'm looking for the OSM US routable street maps for Garmin as one file.  I found a site that supposedly has a set to download, but when I click the link, the website is unavailable.  I'm working on downloading the torrent version now, but I've never done that, so we'll see what I get.

                On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 6:00 PM, Bill Ellis <zionzr2@...> wrote:

                I do not know the size of the open maps, but the garmin North America maps are just a hair under 2 GB That includes All USA, Canada, Mexico, and a couple of the US Territory islands. a 4GB or 8GB card perferably class 6 or better will be fine for any maps you would want.

                On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM, J Crozier <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:

                I'm going to load it into a GPS.  Since I can buy a chip with a whole map set, I don't see why I won't have the storage for it.  Maybe I'm wrong!  But I've had success with smaller map sets.  The web site I'm using won't let me generate the whole US, but I have a feeling they're out there.  Couldn't hurt to ask!

                On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Victor Engel <brillig@...> wrote:

                Why do you want the whole US? That would be a huge amount of data. Do you even have the storage for it? How will you be using it?

                Victor Engel

                On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM, J Crozier <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:

                Does anyone have a complete US map from Open Streets Maps that they could load to the files of this group?  I haven't been successful getting a full set.  Does anybody have links or tips or ideas for me?

                Open Streets Maps are free routable maps available online, and I'm experimenting.  I was able to get Bermuda maps for our recent trip there, but getting the whole US has been a real challenge.

                HELP!

                ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
                Bill
                a.k.a ZionZR2
                512-789-1469

              • Victor Engel

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 10, 2013
                    Oops. The full file is smaller than I remembered. Here's a document describing the full file.

                    http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Planet.osm

                    For country-specific data, try http://downloads.cloudmade.com/

                    I've not used this service, but it seems like it should get you what you want -- not in a single file, but it a handful of files.

                    Victor Engel