Warning - DO NOT Download StegDetect

  • iris9
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
      We were having a wonderful time today solving puzzles for our trip later this year. Then we came up with one that was a blue square that we though had something hidden in it be we couldn't see anything. So I started searching internet for something that would help. I found the website http://www.winterdragon.org/index.php?page=puzzle-sites which said it had links to puzzle solving tools. I found a link for StegDetect on that page. I showed it to Glenn and he decided to download it. When he clicked on the link there it opened AnySendsetup.exe. Double clicking on that installed some malware which included something that prevents you from uninstalling any program using the Windows control panel. Something called Delta Search was installed on his Internet browser and takes over any new tab you open and attempts to get you to download and buy a program to improve your computer.

      So the rest of the day was spent trying to get that off his computer, but so far nothing has worked. So it looks like trying to solve a puzzle has cost him a computer. I'm really sorry I found that site. I wanted to warn everyone else about this site and program.
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2013
        BUMMER!
        =hugs=
        -BarbJ/Tygress

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

        Woman is 55, But Looks 27
        2013's No. 1 Cream. Mom is Wrinkle Free Thanks to Doctor's Secret!
        ConsumerLifestyles.net
      • Pam Tobias
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2013
          Oh that sucks. I'm sure he's very frustrated and has tried everything, but the IT geek in me has to ask has he tried booting in safe mode? And then running something like the free MalwareBytes program to get rid of nastiness like this? Email me if you want to talk more about it. If he hasn't already put his fist through the screen.

          Pam/pblt

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2013
            Thanks for the offer Pam. Everything is OK now, we think! After many rebootings, downloading many tools from our browser, etc, about midnight he finally got control of everything again. It was just a long day that we had planned to use solving CACHE puzzles, NOT Malware puzzle problems !!!
            Iris / Lyni9

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Pam Tobias <geopblt@...> wrote:

            > Oh that sucks. I'm sure he's very frustrated and has tried everything, but the IT geek in me has to ask has he tried booting in safe mode? And then running something like the free MalwareBytes program to get rid of nastiness like this? Email me if you want to talk more about it. If he hasn't already put his fist through the screen.
            >
            > Pam/pblt
            >
            > On Mar 1, 2013, at 10:19 PM, iris9 wrote:
            >
            > > We were having a wonderful time today solving puzzles for our trip later this year. Then we came up with one that was a blue square that we though had something hidden in it be we couldn't see anything. So I started searching internet for something that would help. I found the website http://www.winterdragon.org/index.php?page=puzzle-sites which said it had links to puzzle solving tools. I found a link for StegDetect on that page. I showed it to Glenn and he decided to download it. When he clicked on the link there it opened AnySendsetup.exe. Double clicking on that installed some malware which included something that prevents you from uninstalling any program using the Windows control panel. Something called Delta Search was installed on his Internet browser and takes over any new tab you open and attempts to get you to download and buy a program to improve your computer.
            > >
            > > So the rest of the day was spent trying to get that off his computer, but so far nothing has worked. So it looks like trying to solve a puzzle has cost him a computer. I'm really sorry I found that site. I wanted to warn everyone else about this site and program.

          • al_allen327
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2013
              Well, what a surprise this post was!! I actually know Winterdragon and have called him to let him know of your experience, Iris & Glenn. He found your experience disturbing and will update his Puzzle Solving page as soon as possible to warn about the Malware.
              He's a good guy and would never want to cause anyone harm. Apologies coming from the land down under!

              As for the rest of Adrian's site it's a treasure trove of resource. Where he can't prevent the malware stuff he WILL take things down if he learns of cases like these -- please feel free to send him a note to report any further compilcations with links he has suggested.

              Wow! What a small world!

              Cheers,
              Audra/semik

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "iris9" <iris9@...> wrote:

              > We were having a wonderful time today solving puzzles for our trip later this year. Then we came up with one that was a blue square that we though had something hidden in it be we couldn't see anything. So I started searching internet for something that would help. I found the website http://www.winterdragon.org/index.php?page=puzzle-sites which said it had links to puzzle solving tools. I found a link for StegDetect on that page. I showed it to Glenn and he decided to download it. When he clicked on the link there it opened AnySendsetup.exe. Double clicking on that installed some malware which included something that prevents you from uninstalling any program using the Windows control panel. Something called Delta Search was installed on his Internet browser and takes over any new tab you open and attempts to get you to download and buy a program to improve your computer.
              >
              > So the rest of the day was spent trying to get that off his computer, but so far nothing has worked. So it looks like trying to solve a puzzle has cost him a computer. I'm really sorry I found that site. I wanted to warn everyone else about this site and program.

            • bushman_family
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2013
                In the future try YouTube. There is a video for just about anything. I've seen many on the blue puzzle box.
              • Pam Tobias
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
                  Glad you're back in business!! Cache on!

                  Pam/pblt

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Pam Tobias wrote:

                  > Oh that sucks. I'm sure he's very frustrated and has tried everything, but the IT geek in me has to ask has he tried booting in safe mode? And then running something like the free MalwareBytes program to get rid of nastiness like this? Email me if you want to talk more about it. If he hasn't already put his fist through the screen.
                  >
                  > Pam/pblt
                  >
                  > On Mar 1, 2013, at 10:19 PM, iris9 wrote:
                  >
                  > > We were having a wonderful time today solving puzzles for our trip later this year. Then we came up with one that was a blue square that we though had something hidden in it be we couldn't see anything. So I started searching internet for something that would help. I found the website http://www.winterdragon.org/index.php?page=puzzle-sites which said it had links to puzzle solving tools. I found a link for StegDetect on that page. I showed it to Glenn and he decided to download it. When he clicked on the link there it opened AnySendsetup.exe. Double clicking on that installed some malware which included something that prevents you from uninstalling any program using the Windows control panel. Something called Delta Search was installed on his Internet browser and takes over any new tab you open and attempts to get you to download and buy a program to improve your computer.
                  > >
                  > > So the rest of the day was spent trying to get that off his computer, but so far nothing has worked. So it looks like trying to solve a puzzle has cost him a computer. I'm really sorry I found that site. I wanted to warn everyone else about this site and program.

                • Shawn Olsen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
                    There is a special place for creators of malware!

                    S6sputnik/Shawn