Re: On a day honoring TOLERANCE :(

  • Rachele DiTullio
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 21, 2013
      I went through and read all the logs and the overreaction seems strange to me because all I ever hear from the geocaching community--and I strongly disagree--is you do what you gotta do to get a smiley. If the rules say you can't have date restrictions, it really doesn't matter what the "spirit of the challenge" is OR doing what you think is correct to "respect the CO."

      My main argument to this point would be all the people who use ladders to get caches with 4 and 5 terrain difficulties that clearly state they are meant to be climbed. This whole climbing series here in Austin says it's meant to inspire caching partnerships, yet many people go out and get them solo with the help of tools. This is clearly against the wishes of the CO, but hey, there's no rule saying you can't do it, so it's been deemed by the community as okay.

      If people don't want to follow the rules, they don't have to use geocaching.com or they can petition the governing body to change the time rule back. But it's petty and vindictive to harp on someone for following the rules. As Big Guy stated in her 2013 challenge, she can't make you count caches from only 2013, but it would be nice if you did. Had tfbrown been anything other than FTF, would this conversation be taking place? Probably not. Worse yet is to imply someone was intentionally trying to ruin it for everyone else or cheapen the FTF.

      Sad indeed,
      -Rachele/strontium87
    • Matthew Manning
      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 22, 2013

        This is my last post in this thread for the sake of ending this debacle. Sorry, I've got a lot going on in my life right now so I'm limited on time in which I can respond.

        CO started off just stating that the requirements had not been met but then went back and chimed in their own two cents about two times with everyone else. It was not as belittling as what others had been saying, but it was negative and hurtful as well.

        The last post anyone made before I posted a need archive was about how there were 52ish people watching the cache and that Toni should really be careful about how she 'is antagonizing NTX and trying to force them to cache her way."

        And the only opinion I will offer to this now... good. The best way to move past this in the first way is to do the fair thing, prevent further debate over it, align to what Groundspeak says, and if that means archive the cache, do so.

        On Jan 22, 2013 7:07 PM, "GrnBeret2B" <grn.beret.2b@...> wrote:

        Can someone please point me to yahoogroups functionality, should it exist, that allows me to unsubscribe from a single thread so that I don't have to continue receiving emails that consist of little more than internet arguments (I quit moderating F2P MMO forums for a reason....), but can still receive the emails that contain the quality posts that I know the members of this group are capable of making?

        TIA!

        ~~Nathaniel
        a.k.a. GrnBeret2B

        On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 6:44 PM, Wade Mercer <wade1@...> wrote:

        Well I guess y'all got your wish and the challenge cache has been archived. I hope y'all feel some vindication with your "victory". Apparently Tori's log has been restated too even though she did not complete the challenge.

        What a sad turn of events. It's sad that a group of cachers made such a big deal out of this one simply because their caches with dates restrictions were not approved. This seems to be the real issue.

        As far as I am concerned Tori's log is not valid. It wasn't logged with respect to what the cache was intended or approved. From the messages I have received outside of this list there's lots I could say with respect to this, but it would serve no purpose here.

        Again, congratulations in winning. Apparently its what y'all wanted. Unfortunately it's a loss for the caching community, but I don't think that is, or ever was, a concern.

        Just my two cents worth.

        Wade

        On Jan 21, 2013, at 10:55 AM, "bigguy9211116" <bigguy9211116@...> wrote:

        On a day set aside to honor a man that stood up for tolerance and equality I am saddened by all the hoopla circling around our own tfbrown and a cache in the Dallas area.

        I dont' know how many of you watch the cache GC432W3 - "2013 Geocacheers To Do List" by zeppo!, but maybe you should go there and read the ugly, mean, nasty, and even threatening posts made by so many.

        I am saddened by the whole affair and I can only imagine what tfbrown must be feeling.

        I have tried to make some sense out of the whole thing and have tried very hard not to get involved (except one post in her defense) but I just had to vent somewhere.

        After much reflection, I have come to a realization that Prime Reviewer allowed this cache to be published as a 2013 finds only cache! That must be why the cachers up there are so upset. They are not aware that down here we were not ALLOWED to do that!

        I listed GC4291X - The @#$%& ABC Challenge even before zeppo! did (mine published 12/28/12, his was published 12/31/12) and was explicitly told that this was not allowed by Groundspeak.

        Well, I guess this truly means that we are NOT all equal!

        Please know that I mean no disrespect to anyone involved with this cache. I represent no opinions other than my own and I speak for no one except myself. Thank you for the opporutnity to speak.

        A sad day indeed,

        Esther/ Bigguy In Texas