Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Introduce Myself at an Event?

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 15, 2013
      You show up, sign the log book if there is one, discover travellers, eat and visit and even get some phone-a-friends.
      Then you log "Attended" instead of "Found It" like any cache.
      [Most are just parties for/by cachers. Now BigGuyinTexas, she does the whole doorprize thing and really puts on a PARTY... but mostly we just show up, eat, and visit.  Special cases like Flash Mobs and all are... well, special cases.]

      When you're first starting out, Geocaching seems like thriller spy stuff; but what keeps a LOT of us going is the social aspect and the great people involved... met through events.
      That's it. No particular trick beyond attendance. [When you're a premium member of geocaching.com you get the weekly newsie, which lists all the upcoming events and how close they are to your home coordinates -- that and this echo are how I learn about events... other people have savvier, higher tech ways.]

      BarbJ = party on = Tygress

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 15, 2013

        Barb,

        Your message has left me confused, you say that you have to be a premium member to get the weekly newsie (I assume you mean the one from groundspeak like the one I received today with the subject “Celebrate the Geocaching Community's Volunteers” see attachment). My confusion arises from the fact that I have received this missive every week since I registered on the site as a free member back in 2009.

        Premium members have perks (like getting email notices of newly published caches) which the rest of us lowly free members don’t get but I don’t think the weekly newsletter is one of the perks of premium membership.

        --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 16, 2013
          Ah, then I am mistaken.
          I should look things up before I type, shouldn't I?
          A friend of mine who is not a premium member doesn't get the newsie, so I lept to a false contusion.
          =Gilda Radner Voice= Never Mind!
          BarbJ = the weekly e-newsie, however you get it DOES list events and new caches = Tygress
          Your message has left me confused, you say that you have to be a premium member to get the weekly newsie (I assume you mean the one from groundspeak like the one I received today with the subject “Celebrate the Geocaching Community's Volunteers” see attachment). My confusion arises from the fact that I have received this missive every week since I registered on the site as a free member back in 2009.

          Premium members have perks (like getting email notices of newly published caches) which the rest of us lowly free members don’t get but I don’t think the weekly newsletter is one of the perks of premium membership.

          --| Jay /\\ Bing-GTX
          |+| Georgetown, TX USA

          Thanks for the welcome. How exactly does the event work and yours in particular? We are clueless.

          Joe

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ellis  wrote:

          > Welcome!
          >
          >  I will Ditto what Russ and Shawn have already said.
          >
          > Events are a great way to meet others in the obsess...er hobby ;)
          > In fact I am hosting one in a couple weeks on Jan. 26th:
          >
          > GC3EB30
          >
          > You would be most welcomed to attend.
          >
          > Bill - ZionZR2
          >

          > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 12:39 PM, austin_joe1 <19joe84@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Joe and I live in
          > > Pflugerville and just recently discovered Geocaching. I love it a lot but
          > > feel my wife and I are way behind in discovering this. We have been caching
          > > since 1/1/13 and have found 13 so far. Feel free to get in touch and I look
          > > forward to meeting everyone. My handle on Geocaching.com is Austin Joe for
          > > anyone that would like to friend me.
          > >
          > > Thanks!!
          > >

          > --
          > ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
          > Bill
          > a.k.a ZionZR2
          > 512-789-1469
          > <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

          Woman is 53 But Looks 25
          ConsumerLifestyleMag.com

          One Trick to Stay Asleep
          If you struggle to fall asleep, or stay asleep, try this…
          peaklife.com
        • Jay Bingham
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 16, 2013

            Barb,

            Now that I think about it some more there is a dusty old memory way back in the corner of a long forgotten shelf that seems to be saying something about needing to opt in to receiving these missives.

            I could go look but I am busy fighting other alligators.

            --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX