RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] (unknown)

  • Jay Bingham
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2013

      Another poor practice is having the same password for every site; because once they crack that one password they have the key to all the sites you have accounts with. This provides a big opening for hackers, and is why using facebook credentials to log on to multiple web services is a very poor practice. I cannot believe that sites promote the facebook connection, let alone allow it. This is such a bad idea.

      --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2013
        Not necessarily. Email headers are easily forged; it would be trivial for someone with the right skills to send an email to this list that purported to be from…say…zionzr2@.... The protocol used to send mail (SMTP) has no way of authenticating that the sender is who he claims to be. There are other protocols that do authenticate the sender, but they are not widely used yet.

        Anyway, spammers have been using this security hole for close to a decade now. The way it works is this: computer A gets compromised with a virus/trojan/rootkit/whatever, and the malware harvests the address list. Then it randomly selects one email address from the list and sends email to **all the other addresses in the list** but with the email header spoofed so it looks like the email came from the selected address. The point is that much of the time, if two people are in your address book, they also know each other.

        An example: Alice's computer gets hacked. It sends email to everyone in Alice's address book, but makes it look like that email came from Bob. Then when Charlie gets spam (with a phishing link in it, like the ones that we have seen on our list recently), he recognize's Bob's name and thus thinks the email is safe and is willing to click on the link. Worse still, once he recovers from his machine getting hacked, he calls up Bob and cusses him out for getting hacked…but Bob's machine was not the culprit; it was Alice's all along. When Bob runs his antivirus checker, he comes up clean, and no one thinks to call Alice and ask her about the state of her machine.

        Anyway, I suspect that's what is going on here; someone who has Manny Jimenez and the mailing list in their address book has been hacked, and we're seeing the result. This sort of thing is common outside of mailing lists, but for it to work against a mailing list, both Manny and the mailing list have to be in the victim's address book…a much lower probability occurrence, to be sure.

        Cheers,
        Dave
        Team Landshark

        From: Bill Ellis <zionzr2@...>