Map enhancements

  • Jay Bingham
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2012

      A while ago I posted a message on this forum extolling the virtues of an Greasemonkey script called Geocaching Map Enhancements (GME).

      At the time I said that I did not think that there were any conflicts between that script and another script that I had recommended even longer ago called GS little helper (GClh).

      I have since learned that there are a couple of minor conflicts between them, these are:

      Both these scripts have the capability to specify a default map. If a different default map is specified in each there is a slight delay when you switch to the map page and a slightly strange looking sequence of events as first one default map is displayed then the other is displayed. On my system it appears that the GClh script runs last so that it is the one that has the final say on the default map. The delay and the redrawing of the map can be avoided by specifying the same default map in both scripts. Unfortunately this means that the default map must be one that both scripts support.

      The second compatibility issue has to do with the configuration of maps that appear on the map selection menu at the top right corner of the map page when the both scripts are enabled. Since both scripts have the capability to display the standard Google street map, when the GME configuration menu is displayed there will be two Google Maps items in the menu of available maps. In order to have Google Maps appear in the dropdown menu of available maps that appears at the top right corner of the map page both of the Google Maps items in the GME configuration menu must be selected. (Even though both have the capability to display Google Satellite and Google Terrain maps the menu items are different and there is not an issue with only choosing only one of the pair for either of those).

      These are both minor annoyances, IMHO, and as long as you understand what is going on can both be worked around. I still recommend both of these scripts as they both provide some very nice tools.

      I have submitted a request to the author of the GClh script to add the capability to disable the default map functionality in his script, we will see what happens.

      --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX