Re: Favorite Earthcaches

  • arnaud.geo
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 15, 2012
      Angelika,

      One of the key aspect to understand is that an Earthcache is about *geology*, not biology. You can talk about the biology if it relates to the geology.

      So in the Wildlife Refuge, you will need to focus on the geological features of the park first.

      Ideally, you want to find some measurable items for the verification questions.

      I would be happy to give you feedback on specific ideas before you spend too much time writing the description.

      Arnaud - SoaringEagle.

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 15, 2012
        RussJ/Waterweasel writes the best earthcaches I've ever done. And that's not just being partial.
        Track Meet? is a LOT of fun to do ... especially the inventive ways people have measured the strides (in GPS units, paper, etc.)
        Take a look at his ... and, remember, he's a professional Geologist as well as past professor -- I'm sure he could also pitch in on content.

        BarbJ =mine are more PhD level questions, I'm told=Tygress

        One of the key aspect to understand is that an Earthcache is about *geology*, not biology.  You can talk about the biology if it relates to the geology.

        So in the Wildlife Refuge, you will need to focus on the geological features of the park first.

        Ideally, you want to find some measurable items for the verification questions.

        I would be happy to give you feedback on specific ideas before you spend too much time writing the description.

        Arnaud - SoaringEagle.

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "angelikafuller" <angelika.fuller@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > Today I was asked to help the San Bernard National Wildlife Refuge develop some earthcaches.  As physical containers are generally prohibited on US Fish and Wildlife Service land, this is a great opportunity for geocachers to earn their smilies and learn about this awesome refuge!
        >
        > I've never created an earthcache before, so I wanted some input.  We want to do something hands-on and fun as well as educational.  What are some of your favorite earthcaches?  I could use some inspiration :)
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Bicycle_Junkie
        > Angelika

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

        Woman is 53 But Looks 25
        ConsumerLifestyleMag.com
      • J Crozier
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 16, 2012
          Hi Jay!
          For the Limestone Manifold, you need a thermometer.  Most people don't know that there is a permanent pool thermometer that you can use.  Find it tied to the leg of the lifeguard chair at the bottom of the stairs coming down from the ticket booth.
          Have fun!

          On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:54 PM, Jay Bingham <binghamjc@...> wrote:

          For hands on I am going to have to say that GC1RZM5 - Track Meet? would have to be my favorite. I have not done it yet, but GC17XNX - The Limestone Manifold at Barton Springs that is pretty hands on as well and requires some tools.

          --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 16, 2012

            Julie you are a fountain of knowledge. I just wish that I had known that when I was down there a couple of years ago with my family.

            --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 19, 2012
              Thanks everyone for the feedback!

              Angelika/Bicycle_Junkie