Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] AJW's Initial Cache archived!?

  • Dave Read
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 13, 2012
      I had the same thought about the property owner's motivation. Of course, given the proximity of the property to public park space, it's surprising that the property owner didn't have "Private Property" signs all over the place anyway.

      The only beef I had with the property owner and Prime is that they did not just contact the CO and ask him to remove the cache…

      Dave
      Team Landshark

      From: Jay Bingham <binghamjc@...>
      Date: Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:25 AM
      To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] AJW's Initial Cache archived!?

      So sad to see that one go. Yes, Barb/Tygress, there are lots of places for caches most of them mundane, there are far fewer exceptional places for caches and that one was an exceptional place. I wondered when I found it if it was not on private property. Given the terrain rating I can see why a property owner would not want to have the liability if something happened there.

      --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 13, 2012
        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Matt Wilson <matt@...> wrote:

        > Holy cow!! Was AJW (GC2YVT7<http://coord.info/GC2YVT7>) really on private property? I somehow doubt it. Sounds like last finders just "poked" around too far.
        >
        > Nonetheless, while I certainly agree that caches shouldn't exist near places that cause any major amount of alarm or discomfort that would bring Geocaching a bad name, this sudden and brutal Prime Reviewer archive log makes me pretty sad.
        >
        > Also, I vaguely remember not being able to log an archived cache, but I also know for a fact that I've logged at least a couple that were archived, but still there. Thoughts?

        Greetings all, As the placer of the cache, I do agree that the tax records do show the cache was on private property. This is my mistake; I'm sorry for the trouble I caused the land owner.

        Side Note: There are other maps (http://dgcoursemaps.com/CourseMaps/Print/RiveryPark.jpg) that are not so clear and show green space on the far side of the river. Ironically this map is posted on a big sign in the park itself. I am not disputing the archival, only noting that it was not intentional. There were no private property signs (at the time) or fences, and the posted map appears to be wrong.

        Advanced notification of the archival would have been nice, but I don't feel like it is owed to me, as I am the one who made the error.

        My main reason for posting is to let everyone know that the PowerRiddle Series is still in play, and has been updated to remove the dependence on AJW. I am working on a replacement, but it is not ready yet.

        Happy Caching,
        John
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 13, 2012
          Thanks John!

          We enjoyed doing the Power Riddle series early this year, so I'm glad it is still available.

          Russ the Waterweasel

          > Nonetheless, while I certainly agree that caches shouldn't exist near places that cause any major amount of alarm or discomfort that would bring Geocaching a bad name, this sudden and brutal Prime Reviewer archive log makes me pretty sad.
          >
          > Also, I vaguely remember not being able to log an archived cache, but I also know for a fact that I've logged at least a couple that were archived, but still there. Thoughts?

          Greetings all, As the placer of the cache, I do agree that the tax records do show the cache was on private property. This is my mistake; I'm sorry for the trouble I caused the land owner.

          Side Note: There are other maps (http://dgcoursemaps.com/CourseMaps/Print/RiveryPark.jpg) that are not so clear and show green space on the far side of the river. Ironically this map is posted on a big sign in the park itself. I am not disputing the archival, only noting that it was not intentional. There were no private property signs (at the time) or fences, and the posted map appears to be wrong.

          Advanced notification of the archival would have been nice, but I don't feel like it is owed to me, as I am the one who made the error.

          My main reason for posting is to let everyone know that the PowerRiddle Series is still in play, and has been updated to remove the dependence on AJW. I am working on a replacement, but it is not ready yet.

          Happy Caching,
          John

        • alan_tagit
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 14, 2012
            Glad to see PR is still in play. We did get this several months ago and between trying to solve the riddle and making a few bad assumptions we're looking forward to finding the gutta-percha.

            Thanks John,
            Tom and Julie
            TandJ1120

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "atxtracker" <truck@...> wrote:

            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Matt Wilson <matt@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Holy cow!! Was AJW (GC2YVT7<http://coord.info/GC2YVT7>) really on private property? I somehow doubt it. Sounds like last finders just "poked" around too far.
            > >
            > > Nonetheless, while I certainly agree that caches shouldn't exist near places that cause any major amount of alarm or discomfort that would bring Geocaching a bad name, this sudden and brutal Prime Reviewer archive log makes me pretty sad.
            > >
            > > Also, I vaguely remember not being able to log an archived cache, but I also know for a fact that I've logged at least a couple that were archived, but still there. Thoughts?
            > >

            > Greetings all, As the placer of the cache, I do agree that the tax records do show the cache was on private property. This is my mistake; I'm sorry for the trouble I caused the land owner.
            >
            > Side Note: There are other maps (http://dgcoursemaps.com/CourseMaps/Print/RiveryPark.jpg) that are not so clear and show green space on the far side of the river. Ironically this map is posted on a big sign in the park itself. I am not disputing the archival, only noting that it was not intentional. There were no private property signs (at the time) or fences, and the posted map appears to be wrong.
            >
            > Advanced notification of the archival would have been nice, but I don't feel like it is owed to me, as I am the one who made the error.
            >
            > My main reason for posting is to let everyone know that the PowerRiddle Series is still in play, and has been updated to remove the dependence on AJW. I am working on a replacement, but it is not ready yet.
            >
            > Happy Caching,
            > John

          • Jay Bingham
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 14, 2012

              I have mentioned this before, but I think that it bears mentioning again.

              The Williamson County Appraisal District (WCAD) has an online GIS map application that shows property lines relative to streets and natural features such as rivers. This application has the ability to show coordinates for where the mouse is on the map, unfortunately they are not in any geographic coordinate format that I recognize. The coordinates for the center of the intersection of FM1460 and Industrial Ave. near the WCAD office are given as -10873237.694606127 3483863.831888059, which is obviously not degrees. Using the GPS Coordinate Converter, Maps and Info web site (http://boulter.com/gps/) and clicking on approximately the same location I get 30.622821228814843 -97.67601415514946 (or 30.622821 -97.676014 with less precision, N 30 37.369 W 97 40.561 in the format that we all know and love). It would be grand to know what system they are using for their coordinates and if it can be converted into something useful to us geocachers because then you could be much more precise about public vs private property. I looked on the website and could not find any reference to what coordinate system it is. By moving the cursor around I determined that the first number is the longitude component while the second is the latitude component. The coordinates for the border between Texas & Mexico and the Gulf of Mexico are -10814171.25258265 2993834.94189093, while the coordinates for the point of land at the mouth of the Sabine River are -10445927.791121159 3462221.2266417574. A little more fooling around and I find that the 0 point for east west is the prime meridian that runs through Greenwich, England and the 0 point for north and south is the equator.

              However, even without that ability it is possible to get a fairly good idea of whether the place you are about to put a cache is private property or not and if it is private property who owns it. In the case under discussion it appears rather obvious, at least to me, that the location of the cache was well within the property line, provided that the map shows the correct location of the river, which it may not.

              It would be wonderful if all counties had online maps such as this, last time I looked Travis County did not and I am pretty sure that some of the less populated counties in the area do not either. The WCAD GIS map application has undergone several revisions over the past 5 years and is now much faster and easier to use than it was in the past.

              --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX
              |+| Georgetown , TX USA

              really on private property? I somehow doubt it. Sounds like last finders just "poked" around too far.

              > Nonetheless, while I certainly agree that caches shouldn't exist near
              places that cause any major amount of alarm or discomfort that would bring Geocaching a bad name, this sudden and brutal Prime Reviewer archive log makes me pretty sad.

              > Also, I vaguely remember not being able to log an archived cache, but I
              also know for a fact that I've logged at least a couple that were archived, but still there. Thoughts?

              Greetings all, As the placer of the cache, I do agree that the tax records do show the cache was on private property. This is my mistake; I'm sorry for the trouble I caused the land owner.

              Side Note: There are other maps (http://dgcoursemaps.com/CourseMaps/Print/RiveryPark.jpg) that are not so clear and show green space on the far side of the river. Ironically this map is posted on a big sign in the park itself. I am not disputing the archival, only noting that it was not intentional. There were no private property signs (at the time) or fences, and the posted map appears to be wrong.

              Advanced notification of the archival would have been nice, but I don't feel like it is owed to me, as I am the one who made the error.

              My main reason for posting is to let everyone know that the PowerRiddle Series is still in play, and has been updated to remove the dependence on AJW. I am working on a replacement, but it is not ready yet.

              Happy Caching,
              John

            • John Grubbs
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 15, 2012
                The City of Austin has a GIS program that is useful for checking the ownership status of a potential cache site as well. Some layers even add aerial photography. One caveat,  the photographic images may not line up perfectly with the other GIS information so that if you are placing a cache near a particular tree or something, the GIS image may show it incorrectly in relation to the property line.

                cheers, Anne

> [...]

                Side Note: There are other maps (http://dgcoursemaps.com/CourseMaps/Print/RiveryPark.jpg) that are not so clear and show green space on the far side of the river. Ironically this map is posted on a big sign in the park itself. I am not disputing the archival, only noting that it was not intentional. There were no private property signs (at the time) or fences, and the posted map appears to be wrong.

                Advanced notification of the archival would have been nice, but I don't feel like it is owed to me, as I am the one who made the error.

                My main reason for posting is to let everyone know that the PowerRiddle Series is still in play, and has been updated to remove the dependence on AJW. I am working on a replacement, but it is not ready yet.

              • Mary Beth Booth
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 1, 2013
                  Almost all appraisal districts in Texas use the State Plane coordinate system used by surveyors. So chances are that the WCAD maps are in State Plane Central Texas (NAD1983) coordinate system. I'll email one of my former students who works for Wilco to make sure

                  Mary Beth
                  Emmy-n-Sapphie

> [...]

                  Side Note: There are other maps (http://dgcoursemaps.com/CourseMaps/Print/RiveryPark.jpg) that are not so clear and show green space on the far side of the river. Ironically this map is posted on a big sign in the park itself. I am not disputing the archival, only noting that it was not intentional. There were no private property signs (at the time) or fences, and the posted map appears to be wrong.

                  Advanced notification of the archival would have been nice, but I don't feel like it is owed to me, as I am the one who made the error.

                  My main reason for posting is to let everyone know that the PowerRiddle Series is still in play, and has been updated to remove the dependence on AJW. I am working on a replacement, but it is not ready yet.

                • Anne Thayer
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 1, 2013
                    I am pretty sure you are correct, Mary Beth.

                    Anne (totavi)

                    Sent from my iPad