RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Almost the most expensive single cache I ever found

  • Matt Wilson
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 9, 2012
      Great story!  Here’s my version of this topic:  http://coord.info/GL5B572X

      It was on Mrs. Captain Picard’s “It’s a Jungle Out There!” (GC5B572X) from 4/3/11:

      Anyone want a FREE Garmin 60CSx GPSr? It’s all yours! All you need to do is paddle out to GZ and search the lake bed 6' from the shore where our canoe CAPSIZED after running into a tree! :-)

      Nak.Muay recently moved to a new place right off the lake. He gets a free canoe as part of his rent. I've always wanted to do this cache, so we grabbed a bunch of easy PNGs to get me up to #599 before seeking out The Jungle!

      We battled head-on winds for 1.5 miles to get there, reaching a top speed of 4.5 mph. Upon approach, we saw three muggles already enjoying the island near the first visible landing area. They told us where the better landing area was, so we circled on around a bit. Unfortunately, we overshot the approach and upon correction, ran straight into a tree. Nak.Muay told me to "grab on to the tree!" as we approached it, but I didn't think it was necessary. I just thought we'd "plow on through". Well, in the course of it all, we toppled over on our left side and plunged into the water. I could touch bottom, but Nak.Muay couldn't due to a sharp drop off. One of the muggles came over to see what was up and helped us pull the canoe up onto the shore to drain it. My camera is dead, but thank goodness the SD card with the pics/videos documenting the trip out there were saved. Unfortunately, my GPSr was not tied to anything, so it's now in the mud somewhere near the dock. I was too shocked and eager to find the cache to look very hard for it.

      Thank goodness I had enough sense to put our phones in a lock-n-lock! We gained our composure and look out the phones to take some photos. Afterward, I looked up the cache and set out for GZ. In the process, I ended up explaining geocaching to the muggles. They “helped” us search for it, but I spotted it first. I do believe they were a little too inebriated to be of much help, anyway. ;-) I kindly asked them to leave the cache alone and not tell anyone about it. They joked about how they'd "probably forget about it" right after we left. Hehe. In any case, I certainly hope they respect my request.

      After SL we explored the island a bit. It's definitely bigger than it looks on the map, but not extremely expansive. I found the tree swing and *seriously* considered going for it since I was already drenched! My more cautious side won, though, and I slowly stepped away from Temptation… We said goodbye to the muggles, gathered our wet belongings, and set off back home. The trip back was a bit more relaxing but still a bit of a challenge since the wind had more died down than help us along as we hoped it would.

      WOO HOO!!! What an adventure! Although a *very* expensive milestone, #600 is under my belt with a crazy experience that will last a lifetime! :-) TFTC! --Matt

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 14, 2012
        Well, it is nice to see you are human Rick. Maybe if you had Wyatt there to keep you organized and focused it would have helped. I will never admit to something like this! Like while on a boat on the River Thames and taking a picture for a fellow tourist (of them and the Bridge in the background) and dropping "MY" camera into the river. I guess it was nice of me to get their picture for them. HMMMM.

        later,
        MO Pirate

        PS, At least I knew where my camera was! LOL