Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Almost the most expensive single cache I ever found

  • J Crozier
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
      Oh gosh, I thought you were going to say you didn't find it, or you stepped on it and broke it under the leaves or something a LOT more expensive!  You got off EASY!  I know the bottom of the San Marcos River holds more than one GPS and what about the ones people left on the hood of their car until it fell off and got run over.  Then there was the one that got caught in the seat sliding mechanism in their car and had the glass broken.  Those aren't MY personal stories, but I know they all happened.

      In MY case, I was traveling to California on business for a week.  Right at the last minute, I checked to make sure my GPS was packed and lo and behold, it wasn't.  I RACED all around the house searching for it.   Finally, I had to leave for the airport, going GPS-less.  OH NO!

      Did I just not get to geocache?????? NO!  I walked into Fry's to buy a new unit, thinking I'd take it back.  The only choice they had (and I confess I'm a GPS snob) was the new (at the time) 60CSx at FULL PRICE (I'd pretty much rather die than pay full price).  Well, I walked out with a new CSx assuming I'd find my other one and could return this one when I got home.

      BUT, how was I going to cache without maps?  I had to load a mapset that set me back some dough.  And once I invested in maps, I was pretty much into this little unit that was proving to be a sweet upgrade to my 60CS that was lost.  Can you believe I actually FOUND that GPS in the side pocket of my backseat on the LAST day of my return for a full refund window???????

      $500 and a mapset later, I had a beautiful new GPS I didn't need but couldn't bear to take back.  THAT was my expensive mistake.

      Cheers,

      Count your blessings and give your GPS a little kiss.

      Cheers,

      On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM, rrohlf_2000 <RRJunk@...> wrote:

      Here's the log I posted after finding EGSG's "Stream" (GC2T7YM).

      Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go find the aspirin.

      Rick
      RickandWyatt

      Oh boy... Where to start?

      I was getting conflicting signals between my GPS and my phone, so I'd put one in my pocket and use the other one for a while. Due to scattered signals, I was searching 25 or 30 feet into the underbrush south of the cache, and about the same distance to either side.

      At one point, I put my Oregon 550 in my pocket and used my phone, with which I eventually found the cache. I signed the log, then reached into my pocket for my Oregon and... it wasn't there. I was looking at an area of about 1250 square feet covered, on average, with several inches of fallen leaves and other decaying vegetation that was almost the same color as my GPS.

      I searched for about an hour when the cache owners came by on their daily constitutional. He asked if I had found the cache and I, barely looking up, said, "Yeah, I found the cache; now I'm looking for my (epithet deleted) GPSR." They came over to help and I introduced myself as I looked at them, only to realize that it was EGSG, whom I have met several times before (my apologies to them for being so distracted that I didn't recognize you right away.)

      They helped me look for another fifteen or twenty minutes until I finally gave up. I went back home, borrowed a neighbor's gas powered leaf blower, and returned to the cache. I used a full tank of gas blowing leaves all over the place with no luck. I walked back to the truck to get the gas can, walked back to the cache area, and started again.

      Getting extremely frustrated after about two hours of this, I decided to keep at it until the gas ran out again. With just a little gas remaining, I finally decided to take one more look at the area near the cache itself. Blowing six to eight inches of leaves takes a while, but I slowly made my way along the area by the path. I passed the cache itself, feeling more and more hopeless as the tank got emptier by the second. About three feet past the cache, as the final layer of leaves got blown away, I thought I saw something. Looking closer, I saw it was the Oregon.

      Then it hit me: did I find the cache and simply put the Oregon down on the ground while I signed the log? I don't think so; I don't think it would be that hard to see from three feet. And EGSG looked over that area too without seeing it, either.

      Whatever the case, I'm just happy to have my Oregon back. I think I'm going to mask off the screen and battery compartment lever and paint the rest of it Hunter's Orange. Maybe attach a bright orange streamer to it while I'm at it...

      Here's hoping such a thing never happens to any of you.

      SL, TFTC.

      Rick
      RickandWyatt

    • lorierhea@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012

        Hi Guys. I'm old but a newbie at Geocaching. Started last Sunday. I only wish I had known about this years ago with all the traveling I've done, but better late than never. I was over next to this cache 'Stream' today finding 'Take Another Letter Maria!!" when I was sitting on a log and looking at all the neat 'toys' in the cache box when I noticed the ground covered in thick leaves when it dawned on me, "What did I do with my phone?"  I realized I would be in more than just 'deep leaves' if I put it down some place as I was several feet from where I found the cache!  This was only my 7th find and with this good scare I very fortunately found it in my back pocket, I've decided to put together a cache survival kit so all my stuff will hopefully remain together!!!. At least this is Plan A.

        Thanks so much for reinforcing how easy it would be to have this great new basically free hobby cost me my phone. Couldn't call to get it replaced first off!!  Wow, that's something to think about.  I've always wondered how the 'Find My Phone" app worked on the phone you lost! Now I need to come up with plan B just in case plan A blows up! If anyone has already experienced this unfortunate predicament, please let me know what you did. I'd rather not re-invent the wheel.  ;))

        LorieRay

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 7, 2012
          Hi!

          Welcome to Geocaching!  I hope that you have as much fun in the sport as I have over the years.

          Russ aka Waterweasel

> [...]

          > Then it hit me: did I find the cache and simply put the Oregon down on the ground while I signed the log? I don't think so; I don't think it would be that hard to see from three feet. And EGSG looked over that area too without seeing it, either.
          >
          > Whatever the case, I'm just happy to have my Oregon back. I think I'm going to mask off the screen and battery compartment lever and paint the rest of it Hunter's Orange. Maybe attach a bright orange streamer to it while I'm at it...
          >
          > Here's hoping such a thing never happens to any of you.

        • Greg Jewett
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 7, 2012
            Sounds like we are on a story telling adventure, so I will add my own GPS mishap.  Ugh!  Some remember my plight from emails I sent out about knowledge of GPSr repair.

            My family and I were going of the US on a Disney cruise, so I know I needed my GPSr if I was going to find the caches on the Disney private island and other ports of call.  I also love to use the device to see where in the huge sea were were located, because it is kinda hard to tell when you are -- looking over starboard, port, stern and bow of the ship and all you can see if water.  One morning, my kids asked where we were - so I pull out the GPSr and powered it up.   It was a very cloudy day and the ship was full of metal -- causing all kinds of interference picking up a signal.  So I wrap the lanyard around a chair and left it on the "patio" of the room with lots of sky.  Finished getting ready and ready to walk out the door to breakfast - looking again -- still very little signal and no location lock.  So grabbed the GPSr, shoved it in my pocket and went to breakfast.  With our bellys' full, I went to grab my GPSr from my pocket to take it out to the deck and see if I could get a lock.  When I pulled it out -- the screen was shattered.  My heart sank.  I could not figure out what happened, it was safely in my pocket.  I must of run into something and it was just enough to hit the glass.  The rest of the trip we were "blind" to where we were until we arrived at port, or if we asked some crew who sometimes knew, other times just guessed.   I was able to find some WIFI on a couple of the islands, found a decent app that would work offline to give me directions to caches.  So I was able to keep the shakes at bay and Geocache while out and about on the islands! :)

            The good news was that after I took it apart, I realized that the broken glass was just the digitizer screen (the touch screen).  The LCD was still in good shape.  WOW!  The unit had two pieces of glass, LCD screen and digitizer screen that there soldered together at the ribbon cable that connected to the rest of the electronics.  This turned out to be to be a blessing and a curse of design when I went to replace it.  I found a colleague at work who knew how to micro-solder and I ordered the new screen from a guy on eBay.  Received the glass, had my friend do the magic on the cable and then tried to put the unit together and over torqued the screws and *snap*, quickly flipping the unit over to find I cracked the digitizer screen again.  I re-assembled it with a single hairline crack in the screen and it was semi-usable.  Proceeded to use it a couple of times and each time, the screen made more cracking sounds and then shattered.  I ordered another screen and had my friend do his magic again, this time spending over 45 minutes putting it back together, and looking at how I made a mistake.  The design of two glass screens was a bad design in respect if you figured out what had to be replaced from the broken one, what had to be kept and how to get the screens to support each other with no air-gap and not even the slightest bow in the digitizer glass.  Say the least, I spent about $120, plus tons of crying, patience, and infuriation with myself to almost want a new unit.  I tried twice through Podcacher to win one of the two units they were giving away, but did not.

            I have a working unit now, but yearn for a more rugged and better unit.

            Greg Jewett
            Geocacher Handle:  GeoJewett
            (512) 627-7290
            geojewett (at) geocachingaustin.com
            http://geocaching.ejewett.com/

> [...]

            > Then it hit me: did I find the cache and simply put the Oregon down on the ground while I signed the log? I don't think so; I don't think it would be that hard to see from three feet. And EGSG looked over that area too without seeing it, either.
            >
            > Whatever the case, I'm just happy to have my Oregon back. I think I'm going to mask off the screen and battery compartment lever and paint the rest of it Hunter's Orange. Maybe attach a bright orange streamer to it while I'm at it...
            >
            > Here's hoping such a thing never happens to any of you.

          • Matt Wilson
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 9, 2012
              Great story!  Here’s my version of this topic:  http://coord.info/GL5B572X

              It was on Mrs. Captain Picard’s “It’s a Jungle Out There!” (GC5B572X) from 4/3/11:

              Anyone want a FREE Garmin 60CSx GPSr? It’s all yours! All you need to do is paddle out to GZ and search the lake bed 6' from the shore where our canoe CAPSIZED after running into a tree! :-)

              Nak.Muay recently moved to a new place right off the lake. He gets a free canoe as part of his rent. I've always wanted to do this cache, so we grabbed a bunch of easy PNGs to get me up to #599 before seeking out The Jungle!

              We battled head-on winds for 1.5 miles to get there, reaching a top speed of 4.5 mph. Upon approach, we saw three muggles already enjoying the island near the first visible landing area. They told us where the better landing area was, so we circled on around a bit. Unfortunately, we overshot the approach and upon correction, ran straight into a tree. Nak.Muay told me to "grab on to the tree!" as we approached it, but I didn't think it was necessary. I just thought we'd "plow on through". Well, in the course of it all, we toppled over on our left side and plunged into the water. I could touch bottom, but Nak.Muay couldn't due to a sharp drop off. One of the muggles came over to see what was up and helped us pull the canoe up onto the shore to drain it. My camera is dead, but thank goodness the SD card with the pics/videos documenting the trip out there were saved. Unfortunately, my GPSr was not tied to anything, so it's now in the mud somewhere near the dock. I was too shocked and eager to find the cache to look very hard for it.

              Thank goodness I had enough sense to put our phones in a lock-n-lock! We gained our composure and look out the phones to take some photos. Afterward, I looked up the cache and set out for GZ. In the process, I ended up explaining geocaching to the muggles. They “helped” us search for it, but I spotted it first. I do believe they were a little too inebriated to be of much help, anyway. ;-) I kindly asked them to leave the cache alone and not tell anyone about it. They joked about how they'd "probably forget about it" right after we left. Hehe. In any case, I certainly hope they respect my request.

              After SL we explored the island a bit. It's definitely bigger than it looks on the map, but not extremely expansive. I found the tree swing and *seriously* considered going for it since I was already drenched! My more cautious side won, though, and I slowly stepped away from Temptation… We said goodbye to the muggles, gathered our wet belongings, and set off back home. The trip back was a bit more relaxing but still a bit of a challenge since the wind had more died down than help us along as we hoped it would.

              WOO HOO!!! What an adventure! Although a *very* expensive milestone, #600 is under my belt with a crazy experience that will last a lifetime! :-) TFTC! --Matt

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 14, 2012
                Well, it is nice to see you are human Rick. Maybe if you had Wyatt there to keep you organized and focused it would have helped. I will never admit to something like this! Like while on a boat on the River Thames and taking a picture for a fellow tourist (of them and the Bridge in the background) and dropping "MY" camera into the river. I guess it was nice of me to get their picture for them. HMMMM.

                later,
                MO Pirate

                PS, At least I knew where my camera was! LOL