Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] End of Challenges

  • J Crozier
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
      Seems like to me that if they can recognize their mistake about Challenges, they can do the same thing and recognize their mistake of eliminating virtuals.  There's an awful lot of evidence out there that people really loved them.  Yes, some people DIDN'T like them, but then some people don't like micros, or lamp skirt caches, or puzzles, or WHATEVER.  Give people options and let them choose their own adventures.

      Oh......don't get me started!  :)

      On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 11:58 PM, Joanne Comer <jamico28@...> wrote:

      Hear, hear!

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012
        We loved virtual caches especially when visiting someplace new. They are a great way to learn about a new city or state.
        Cheryl
        1/6th of Team Tracker

        Sent from my iPhone

[...]

      • Dylan Mahan

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012

            I add yet another second to the motion to bring back virtual caches. I enjoy them for the most part and finding them has taken me to some very interesting places and shown me things I would not have noticed otherwise, like this one that I recently found with one of my sons in Virginia: The Lost Day. This is a good example of a virtual that is done well. To claim it you have to notice something that you would probably just overlook under usual circumstances. This cache could not be done in any other way even if it were not located in a national park.

            Another that I enjoyed, located at another national park, is To Bind Up the Nation's Wounds, while not as strong of an argument for virtuals as The Lost Day since it has no logging requirements and the coordinates seem to be a little off, it none the less takes you to a very interesting place, which I might have overlooked had it not been for the cache.

            This virtual, 1886 Turbine, is one of my favorite virtuals because I almost certainly would not have stopped here if the cache had not been here, but I am glad I did. It requires strong investigative skills to determine the answer to one of the logging requirements. Most people will never find out that bit of information unless they are geocachers. Another well done virtual that would be less interesting as any other type of cache.

            While most virtuals are on the low end of the difficulty/terrain spectrum I enjoy finding them because I usually find something that is interesting and worth seeing. However, I understand why some people don’t like them, emailing the answers to the owner can be a pain at times and some of them can be quite lame, fortunately most of the lame ones are now gone. Unfortunately some of the not so lame ones are disappearing too because the owners loose interest and Groundspeak won’t allow them to be adopted or because the owners get fed up with the inability of geocachers to follow instructions as happened recently with two caches on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon see: Cape Royal and Bright Angel Point. These two caches had 15 and 62 favorite points respectively, so they weren’t lame.

            Well, I have ranted on too long so I will stop now.

            Let me close by saying that I hope that Groundspeak comes to their senses and implements virtuals in a format that integrates well with other caches and retains the best characteristics of what the original virtuals were while eliminating the characteristics that caused them to be banned. Maybe the third time will be a charm. They have tried unsuccessfully twice already.

            --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012
              OK. Back out of the shadows again cuz I would really like to see virts back too and we need to build support for the idea...

              If you want your voice to even have a chance of being heard in regards to virtuals, you need to sound off over on the Groundspeak forums. There are a few robust conversations going on over there about them now. It may not do a lick of good, but I'm pretty sure no one from Groundspeak is going to be paying attention to this forum.

              Here's some links to a few thread over there...

              http://tinyurl.com/at8tno2
              http://tinyurl.com/bbdfcp6
              http://tinyurl.com/b4exr7u