Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Anybody up for a little CITO Event?

  • Esther Lopez
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 30, 2012
      OC,

      It is my experience that if you post it, they will come!
      If I can, I will be there!

      Esther

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2012
        If we need private land-owner permission to clean up the site, did the cache placer get permission originally to place the cache there? If so, does anyone know who the landowner is or how to get in touch with them?

        Did all the whoevers who tossed their crap there get permission first? I CITO every cache I am on and have yet to be confronted about removing litter and waste carelessly tossed there by someone else. Yeh, I know one man's trash is another man's treasure, but we're talkin' real disgusting treasure here that seems to be attracting more of the same.

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "semperquestio" <sqcaching@...> wrote:

        > When I found that cache I was a bit concerned that it was on privately owned property. You may want to check on that before organizing an event to clean it up.
      • semperquestio
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2012
          Red herrings.

          Permission should always be obtained before placing a cache on private property. Since placing a cache involves indicating compliance with the guidelines, said permission is implied. As for the trash, how it got there is beside the point. Heck, the landowner may use it as a dump for all we know.

          I merely suggested that if you are considering hosting an event there, then you should consider the land ownership as any cache placer should. Just because a landowner is OK with a cache there does not mean they would be OK with a bunch of folks there for an event, regardless of the good intentions.

          And this reminds me why I disappeared off the boards for a while.

          Back to the shadows.

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "origami cacher" <aprennace@...> wrote:

          > If we need private land-owner permission to clean up the site, did the cache placer get permission originally to place the cache there? If so, does anyone know who the landowner is or how to get in touch with them?
          >
          > Did all the whoevers who tossed their crap there get permission first? I CITO every cache I am on and have yet to be confronted about removing litter and waste carelessly tossed there by someone else. Yeh, I know one man's trash is another man's treasure, but we're talkin' real disgusting treasure here that seems to be attracting more of the same.
          >
          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "semperquestio" <sqcaching@> wrote:
          > >
          > > When I found that cache I was a bit concerned that it was on privately owned property. You may want to check on that before organizing an event to clean it up.

        • greg
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2012
            I'll put my 2 cents worth in.   It appears on google maps the path to the cache from the cross street to Mays is the ROW for the contiuation of the street that was never built, it connects to the ROW on Mays.  There is private property on either side of the 50 foot ROW.  It appears the cache is about 25 into the private property on one side. You could probably find out from the city of Round Rock if that actually is a ROW, and wether they would mind if we cleaned it up. Just my observation.

            Greg Shumaker
            shumaker

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2012
              semperquestio
              I am sorry if I offended you in any way. Sometimes my sarcasm bites more than I intend it to. I see your point and I will make an attempt to find out who owns this lot and whether they have any objections to our cleaning it up a little with an event. Thanks for your couragious feedback despite my insensitivity.
              Art

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 1, 2012
                For what it's worth... that was a trashy site when Russ & I found it many, many years ago.
                Sounds like nothing's changed.

                To echo, a little, what Howard said: the owner may not know about the cache -- people tend to assume anything without a fence is public property and free for caches. [Ain't so, but we get away with it -- and wonder why muggles get grumpy.] Owner would definitely notice an event, however. I'd be hostile if folks just showed up on my property... it's not the good intentions, it's the liability. And, well, what's mine is mine, even if it does collect detritus.

                -B/Tygress

                If we need private land-owner permission to clean up the site, did the cache placer get permission originally to place the cache there? If so, does anyone know who the landowner is or how to get in touch with them?

                Did all the whoevers who tossed their crap there get permission first? I CITO every cache I am on and have yet to be confronted about removing litter and waste carelessly tossed there by someone else. Yeh, I know one man's trash is another man's treasure, but we're talkin' real disgusting treasure here that seems to be attracting more of the same.

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "semperquestio" <sqcaching@...> wrote:

                > When I found that cache I was a bit concerned that it was on privately owned property.  You may want to check on that before organizing an event to clean it up.

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:

                Woman is 53 But Looks 25
                ConsumerLifestyleMag.com
              • GrnBeret2B
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 3, 2012
                  Can I also point out - by holding a CITO at, or near, GZ, you are revealing the final location of a puzzle cache, which I'm sure wouldn't please Prime.

                  I'm going to say no, this CITO isn't a good idea because:
                  1. There's question as to legality of the placement of the cache itself (I don't have the final coords, my hastily done solution doesn't feel right, and I don't really have the time to put into a proper solution, so I'm not going to even try to make a definitive statement either way)
                    • Those who have the coords could check out the Williamson County GIS map if they so desire (https://gis.wilco.org/countymap/).  I have used GIS maps to identify Private/Public properties in the past, but it's been a while since I used Williamson County's, so I don't have helpful pointers as to how to use it.
                  2. I personally don't agree with having an event that reveals, or even hints at, the final location of a puzzle cache.

                  Nathaniel/Grn Beret 2B

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 12, 2012
                    Thanks for all of the feedback and ideas on my question. I have decided
                    not to host a CITO event at the Hugo Site, but will continue to CITO on
                    my own every time I am out geocaching.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 13, 2012
                      That said, do consider organizing a CITO to assist a city, regional park, or other organization where the lines of responsibility aren't so murky.

                      Best,

                      Russ the Waterweasel