County roads

  • Mike Detlefsen
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
      I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.

      Anybody have any light to shed on this?

      Mike
      jmd65
    • dirich92@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012
        A friend of a friend lives out in Mason county. There are a few gates on their road, even though it's a public road. That's to keep the cows in. The gates to their house are not locked. But they also told me of neighbors on other roads who do lock their gates, even though it's a public road.

        Not a spotlight, maybe a candle or two.

        --Di
        dirich92

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Detlefsen <mdmeleagro945@...> wrote:

        > I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.
        >
        > Anybody have any light to shed on this?
        >
        > Mike
        > jmd65

      • Luther Rode
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012

          I liveGillespie County where all the county roads are paved.  County roads are identified with a green background and white letters sign (meaning go).  Private roads are identified with a red background and white letters sign.

          I there isn’t cache on a private road my advice is do not go there.

          Huggy Bear Fbg

          Luther

          A friend of a friend lives out in Mason county. There are a few gates on their road, even though it's a public road. That's to keep the cows in. The gates to their house are not locked. But they also told me of neighbors on other roads who do lock their gates, even though it's a public road.

          Not a spotlight, maybe a candle or two.

          --Di
          dirich92

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Detlefsen <mdmeleagro945@...> wrote:

          > I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.
          >
          > Anybody have any light to shed on this?
          >
          > Mike
          > jmd65

        • Greg Jewett
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 22, 2012
            All..

            I would like to post this to the website.  I did not cursory google search and came up with nada.  I admit that I did not dig that well.   If anyone has any solid information, websites, or anything -- please send it to ammocan@....

            Thanks!

            From: dirich92@...
            A friend of a friend lives out in Mason county. There are a few gates on their road, even though it's a public road. That's to keep the cows in. The gates to their house are not locked. But they also told me of neighbors on other roads who do lock their gates, even though it's a public road.

            In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Detlefsen <mdmeleagro945@...> wrote:
            I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.

            Greg Jewett
            Geocacher Handle:  GeoJewett
            (512) 627-7290
            geojewett (at) geocachingaustin.com