RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Question about finding archived caches

  • Jay Bingham
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 15, 2012

      As Keith (Indigo Parish) pointed out, as long as it is not “locked from new logs” it can be logged. However once it has been “locked from new logs” it will not be possible to log it.

      I do not know the exact mechanism that is employed to lock a cache from new logs, but I know that it does happen. I found a cache that had been archived and had been found and logged by someone else after it was archived by Prime Reviewer but when I attempted to log it I could not because it had been locked from accepting new logs, when I asked Prime Reviewer about letting me log it he said sorry. I know that locking the logs does not occur simultaneously with archiving, but I suspect that the locking of the logs may occur automatically after a specific period of time once a cache is archived (people who found it before it was archived need to be allowed time to log it, right).

      --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
        I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.

        Anybody have any light to shed on this?

        Mike
        jmd65
      • dirich92@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012
          A friend of a friend lives out in Mason county. There are a few gates on their road, even though it's a public road. That's to keep the cows in. The gates to their house are not locked. But they also told me of neighbors on other roads who do lock their gates, even though it's a public road.

          Not a spotlight, maybe a candle or two.

          --Di
          dirich92

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Detlefsen <mdmeleagro945@...> wrote:

          > I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.
          >
          > Anybody have any light to shed on this?
          >
          > Mike
          > jmd65

        • Luther Rode
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012

            I liveGillespie County where all the county roads are paved.  County roads are identified with a green background and white letters sign (meaning go).  Private roads are identified with a red background and white letters sign.

            I there isn’t cache on a private road my advice is do not go there.

            Huggy Bear Fbg

            Luther

            A friend of a friend lives out in Mason county. There are a few gates on their road, even though it's a public road. That's to keep the cows in. The gates to their house are not locked. But they also told me of neighbors on other roads who do lock their gates, even though it's a public road.

            Not a spotlight, maybe a candle or two.

            --Di
            dirich92

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Detlefsen <mdmeleagro945@...> wrote:

            > I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.
            >
            > Anybody have any light to shed on this?
            >
            > Mike
            > jmd65

          • Greg Jewett
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 22, 2012
              All..

              I would like to post this to the website.  I did not cursory google search and came up with nada.  I admit that I did not dig that well.   If anyone has any solid information, websites, or anything -- please send it to ammocan@....

              Thanks!

              From: dirich92@...
              A friend of a friend lives out in Mason county. There are a few gates on their road, even though it's a public road. That's to keep the cows in. The gates to their house are not locked. But they also told me of neighbors on other roads who do lock their gates, even though it's a public road.

              In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Detlefsen <mdmeleagro945@...> wrote:
              I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.

              Greg Jewett
              Geocacher Handle:  GeoJewett
              (512) 627-7290
              geojewett (at) geocachingaustin.com