Re: Question about finding archived caches

  • Indigo Parrish
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 14, 2012
      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dave Marquardt <dave.marquardt.tx@...> wrote:

      > So, I found a cache today. After I got home, I discovered why I hadn't
      > noticed when studying a map on geocaching.com, and that was because the
      > cache had been archived. But at some point in the past few weeks it was in
      > one of my pocket queries and then ended up on my GPSr.
      >
      > So, I've logged the cache, and would like to count it, because the cache is
      > still there and I found it. The cache in question is
      > *GC3Y0N3<http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fb1a6786-f20e-47fb-8f0a-cabb0ea7d123>
      > * [image: Traditional Cache] Walnut Creek Achievement Challenge, and was
      > archived by the Prime Reviewer on 11/9/2012.
      >
      > Any thoughts on this? I know we all play the game the way we think is
      > right, and my thought is to go ahead and count this find.

      Here are my thoughts --

      If you find a physical cache
      that is still in the wild
      and find it as intended
      and sign the physical log
      and the cache was published online
      and it isn't locked from new logs

      then you post your find even if it's archived.

      Now there aren't very many such caches in the wild, so hunting them is typically a Fool's Errand. But occasionally you'll stumble across them for whatever reason. I have a few finds like this, and they are like finding real buried treasure :)

      -Keith (Indigo Parrish)
    • jdh6603
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 14, 2012
        Sorry if this posts twice...

        It's a long story, but the short is that the cache was archived without notice. The container is still there, while I'm trying to clear up the confusion and understand the reviewers objections. I don't think the cache violates any guidelines and I'm hopeful I can get it un-archived, perhaps with better wording. I have no objection to you logging the find, except that it might be better to wait until after it is active again, so the reviewer doesn't think I'm advocating ignoring his objections.

        If anyone knows a guideline I'm missing, please drop me a hint.

        Happy Caching,
        John (ATXTracker)

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dave Marquardt <dave.marquardt.tx@...> wrote:

        > So, I found a cache today. After I got home, I discovered why I hadn't
        > noticed when studying a map on geocaching.com, and that was because the
        > cache had been archived. But at some point in the past few weeks it was in
        > one of my pocket queries and then ended up on my GPSr.
        >
        > So, I've logged the cache, and would like to count it, because the cache is
        > still there and I found it. The cache in question is
        > *GC3Y0N3<http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fb1a6786-f20e-47fb-8f0a-cabb0ea7d123>
        > * [image: Traditional Cache] Walnut Creek Achievement Challenge, and was
        > archived by the Prime Reviewer on 11/9/2012.
        >
        > Any thoughts on this? I know we all play the game the way we think is
        > right, and my thought is to go ahead and count this find.
        >
        > -Balde Runner
        > (Dave)

      • semperquestio
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 14, 2012
          Prime's statement is pretty clear. Apparently his position is that it was reviewed as being one type of cache but was then modified into being a challenge cache who's guidelines are different. If it is true or not, I have no idea and I'm not going to try to sit in any kind of judgement over the issue. All I can suggest is to communicate with Prime about getting it reviewed as a challenge and tweak it as he guides you to until it complies with the guidelines in respect to challenge caches and you can get it re-published. If there are any difficulties with the process you can appeal to Groundspeak.

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "jdh6603" <jdh6603@...> wrote:

          > Sorry if this posts twice...
          >
          > It's a long story, but the short is that the cache was archived without notice. The container is still there, while I'm trying to clear up the confusion and understand the reviewers objections. I don't think the cache violates any guidelines and I'm hopeful I can get it un-archived, perhaps with better wording. I have no objection to you logging the find, except that it might be better to wait until after it is active again, so the reviewer doesn't think I'm advocating ignoring his objections.
          >
          > If anyone knows a guideline I'm missing, please drop me a hint.
          >
          > Happy Caching,
          > John (ATXTracker)
          >

          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dave Marquardt <dave.marquardt.tx@> wrote:
          > >
          > > So, I found a cache today. After I got home, I discovered why I hadn't
          > > noticed when studying a map on geocaching.com, and that was because the
          > > cache had been archived. But at some point in the past few weeks it was in
          > > one of my pocket queries and then ended up on my GPSr.
          > >
          > > So, I've logged the cache, and would like to count it, because the cache is
          > > still there and I found it. The cache in question is
          > > *GC3Y0N3<http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fb1a6786-f20e-47fb-8f0a-cabb0ea7d123>
          > > * [image: Traditional Cache] Walnut Creek Achievement Challenge, and was
          > > archived by the Prime Reviewer on 11/9/2012.
          > >
          > > Any thoughts on this? I know we all play the game the way we think is
          > > right, and my thought is to go ahead and count this find.
          > >
          > > -Balde Runner
          > > (Dave)

        • Jay Bingham
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 15, 2012

            As Keith (Indigo Parish) pointed out, as long as it is not “locked from new logs” it can be logged. However once it has been “locked from new logs” it will not be possible to log it.

            I do not know the exact mechanism that is employed to lock a cache from new logs, but I know that it does happen. I found a cache that had been archived and had been found and logged by someone else after it was archived by Prime Reviewer but when I attempted to log it I could not because it had been locked from accepting new logs, when I asked Prime Reviewer about letting me log it he said sorry. I know that locking the logs does not occur simultaneously with archiving, but I suspect that the locking of the logs may occur automatically after a specific period of time once a cache is archived (people who found it before it was archived need to be allowed time to log it, right).

            --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
              I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.

              Anybody have any light to shed on this?

              Mike
              jmd65
            • dirich92@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012
                A friend of a friend lives out in Mason county. There are a few gates on their road, even though it's a public road. That's to keep the cows in. The gates to their house are not locked. But they also told me of neighbors on other roads who do lock their gates, even though it's a public road.

                Not a spotlight, maybe a candle or two.

                --Di
                dirich92

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Detlefsen <mdmeleagro945@...> wrote:

                > I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.
                >
                > Anybody have any light to shed on this?
                >
                > Mike
                > jmd65

              • Luther Rode
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012

                  I liveGillespie County where all the county roads are paved.  County roads are identified with a green background and white letters sign (meaning go).  Private roads are identified with a red background and white letters sign.

                  I there isn’t cache on a private road my advice is do not go there.

                  Huggy Bear Fbg

                  Luther

                  A friend of a friend lives out in Mason county. There are a few gates on their road, even though it's a public road. That's to keep the cows in. The gates to their house are not locked. But they also told me of neighbors on other roads who do lock their gates, even though it's a public road.

                  Not a spotlight, maybe a candle or two.

                  --Di
                  dirich92

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Detlefsen <mdmeleagro945@...> wrote:

                  > I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.
                  >
                  > Anybody have any light to shed on this?
                  >
                  > Mike
                  > jmd65

                • Greg Jewett
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 22, 2012
                    All..

                    I would like to post this to the website.  I did not cursory google search and came up with nada.  I admit that I did not dig that well.   If anyone has any solid information, websites, or anything -- please send it to ammocan@....

                    Thanks!

                    From: dirich92@...
                    A friend of a friend lives out in Mason county. There are a few gates on their road, even though it's a public road. That's to keep the cows in. The gates to their house are not locked. But they also told me of neighbors on other roads who do lock their gates, even though it's a public road.

                    In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Detlefsen <mdmeleagro945@...> wrote:
                    I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.

                    Greg Jewett
                    Geocacher Handle:  GeoJewett
                    (512) 627-7290
                    geojewett (at) geocachingaustin.com