Re: Question about finding archived caches

  • electric_water_boy
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 14, 2012
      I got an FTF on a cache that was archived because the coordinates were almost 70 miles off. See http://coord.info/GC102Z0

      EWB - Tom

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dave Marquardt <dave.marquardt.tx@...> wrote:

      > So, I found a cache today. After I got home, I discovered why I hadn't
      > noticed when studying a map on geocaching.com, and that was because the
      > cache had been archived. But at some point in the past few weeks it was in
      > one of my pocket queries and then ended up on my GPSr.
      >
      > So, I've logged the cache, and would like to count it, because the cache is
      > still there and I found it. The cache in question is
      > *GC3Y0N3<http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fb1a6786-f20e-47fb-8f0a-cabb0ea7d123>
      > * [image: Traditional Cache] Walnut Creek Achievement Challenge, and was
      > archived by the Prime Reviewer on 11/9/2012.
      >
      > Any thoughts on this? I know we all play the game the way we think is
      > right, and my thought is to go ahead and count this find.
      >
      > -Balde Runner
      > (Dave)

    • Paul Albers
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 14, 2012
        It would appear that Prime thought the cache was now a challenge cache, which it is not. There is
        an additional 'bonus' that is a challenge, but there is no need to do this challenge to claim a smiley
        on the cache. Therefore, this truly isn't an actual challenge cache, just something to help get people
        out into the park to enjoy all the other great hides. The cache owner will add your name to the webpage
        when you complete the challenge, but again it is not required to do so at all to claim a find. You also
        don't get bonus smilies. I don't think Prime actually read the page closely to find this out, just noticed
        the cache page had changed after approval, saw the challenge verbiage, and assumed it was now
        a challenge cache, which is not what he approved. This is not the case, but the page was changed.

        This would make for a great actual challenge cache ( ? puzzle type ), but it would be hard to say if
        Prime would approve. He doesn't like challenge caches that have you finding very specific caches to
        complete the challenge, though there are hundreds of them across the country, including many here
        in Texas that he has approved. It is one of those very subjective rules that plays differently across
        the country.

        Hopefully communication is taking place to get this one activated again. It is not a challenge cache.

        I have other 'ideas' on why this one was snap archived, but I'll keep those to myself.

        -paul
        HiDude_98

        Russ Jernigan wrote:
        I'd count it.  Did Prime say why it was archived?

        Russ the Waterweasel
      • Denise Vajdak
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 14, 2012
          Before logging an archived cache, I would check with the CO first as to why it was archived and if it's okay to log it.

          Maybe it was cross-listed and the duplicate listing was archived.  In that case, I personally would log it on the active listing site only.

          If a cache had been missing and was archived by the owner, they might be excited to know the cache container is still around (and probably got moved), so they might want to put it in another location and create a new smiley opportunity.

          Denise E. Vajdak  ><>  (aka NativTxn)
          http://tx.ag/denise

          AdvoCare Independent Distributor

          Russ Jernigan wrote:
          I'd count it.  Did Prime say why it was archived?

          Russ the Waterweasel

        • Indigo Parrish
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 14, 2012
            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dave Marquardt <dave.marquardt.tx@...> wrote:

            > So, I found a cache today. After I got home, I discovered why I hadn't
            > noticed when studying a map on geocaching.com, and that was because the
            > cache had been archived. But at some point in the past few weeks it was in
            > one of my pocket queries and then ended up on my GPSr.
            >
            > So, I've logged the cache, and would like to count it, because the cache is
            > still there and I found it. The cache in question is
            > *GC3Y0N3<http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fb1a6786-f20e-47fb-8f0a-cabb0ea7d123>
            > * [image: Traditional Cache] Walnut Creek Achievement Challenge, and was
            > archived by the Prime Reviewer on 11/9/2012.
            >
            > Any thoughts on this? I know we all play the game the way we think is
            > right, and my thought is to go ahead and count this find.

            Here are my thoughts --

            If you find a physical cache
            that is still in the wild
            and find it as intended
            and sign the physical log
            and the cache was published online
            and it isn't locked from new logs

            then you post your find even if it's archived.

            Now there aren't very many such caches in the wild, so hunting them is typically a Fool's Errand. But occasionally you'll stumble across them for whatever reason. I have a few finds like this, and they are like finding real buried treasure :)

            -Keith (Indigo Parrish)
          • jdh6603
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 14, 2012
              Sorry if this posts twice...

              It's a long story, but the short is that the cache was archived without notice. The container is still there, while I'm trying to clear up the confusion and understand the reviewers objections. I don't think the cache violates any guidelines and I'm hopeful I can get it un-archived, perhaps with better wording. I have no objection to you logging the find, except that it might be better to wait until after it is active again, so the reviewer doesn't think I'm advocating ignoring his objections.

              If anyone knows a guideline I'm missing, please drop me a hint.

              Happy Caching,
              John (ATXTracker)

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dave Marquardt <dave.marquardt.tx@...> wrote:

              > So, I found a cache today. After I got home, I discovered why I hadn't
              > noticed when studying a map on geocaching.com, and that was because the
              > cache had been archived. But at some point in the past few weeks it was in
              > one of my pocket queries and then ended up on my GPSr.
              >
              > So, I've logged the cache, and would like to count it, because the cache is
              > still there and I found it. The cache in question is
              > *GC3Y0N3<http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fb1a6786-f20e-47fb-8f0a-cabb0ea7d123>
              > * [image: Traditional Cache] Walnut Creek Achievement Challenge, and was
              > archived by the Prime Reviewer on 11/9/2012.
              >
              > Any thoughts on this? I know we all play the game the way we think is
              > right, and my thought is to go ahead and count this find.
              >
              > -Balde Runner
              > (Dave)

            • semperquestio
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 14, 2012
                Prime's statement is pretty clear. Apparently his position is that it was reviewed as being one type of cache but was then modified into being a challenge cache who's guidelines are different. If it is true or not, I have no idea and I'm not going to try to sit in any kind of judgement over the issue. All I can suggest is to communicate with Prime about getting it reviewed as a challenge and tweak it as he guides you to until it complies with the guidelines in respect to challenge caches and you can get it re-published. If there are any difficulties with the process you can appeal to Groundspeak.

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "jdh6603" <jdh6603@...> wrote:

                > Sorry if this posts twice...
                >
                > It's a long story, but the short is that the cache was archived without notice. The container is still there, while I'm trying to clear up the confusion and understand the reviewers objections. I don't think the cache violates any guidelines and I'm hopeful I can get it un-archived, perhaps with better wording. I have no objection to you logging the find, except that it might be better to wait until after it is active again, so the reviewer doesn't think I'm advocating ignoring his objections.
                >
                > If anyone knows a guideline I'm missing, please drop me a hint.
                >
                > Happy Caching,
                > John (ATXTracker)
                >

                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dave Marquardt <dave.marquardt.tx@> wrote:
                > >
                > > So, I found a cache today. After I got home, I discovered why I hadn't
                > > noticed when studying a map on geocaching.com, and that was because the
                > > cache had been archived. But at some point in the past few weeks it was in
                > > one of my pocket queries and then ended up on my GPSr.
                > >
                > > So, I've logged the cache, and would like to count it, because the cache is
                > > still there and I found it. The cache in question is
                > > *GC3Y0N3<http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fb1a6786-f20e-47fb-8f0a-cabb0ea7d123>
                > > * [image: Traditional Cache] Walnut Creek Achievement Challenge, and was
                > > archived by the Prime Reviewer on 11/9/2012.
                > >
                > > Any thoughts on this? I know we all play the game the way we think is
                > > right, and my thought is to go ahead and count this find.
                > >
                > > -Balde Runner
                > > (Dave)

              • Jay Bingham
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 15, 2012

                  As Keith (Indigo Parish) pointed out, as long as it is not “locked from new logs” it can be logged. However once it has been “locked from new logs” it will not be possible to log it.

                  I do not know the exact mechanism that is employed to lock a cache from new logs, but I know that it does happen. I found a cache that had been archived and had been found and logged by someone else after it was archived by Prime Reviewer but when I attempted to log it I could not because it had been locked from accepting new logs, when I asked Prime Reviewer about letting me log it he said sorry. I know that locking the logs does not occur simultaneously with archiving, but I suspect that the locking of the logs may occur automatically after a specific period of time once a cache is archived (people who found it before it was archived need to be allowed time to log it, right).

                  --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
                    I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.

                    Anybody have any light to shed on this?

                    Mike
                    jmd65
                  • dirich92@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012
                      A friend of a friend lives out in Mason county. There are a few gates on their road, even though it's a public road. That's to keep the cows in. The gates to their house are not locked. But they also told me of neighbors on other roads who do lock their gates, even though it's a public road.

                      Not a spotlight, maybe a candle or two.

                      --Di
                      dirich92

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Detlefsen <mdmeleagro945@...> wrote:

                      > I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.
                      >
                      > Anybody have any light to shed on this?
                      >
                      > Mike
                      > jmd65

                    • Luther Rode
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012

                        I liveGillespie County where all the county roads are paved.  County roads are identified with a green background and white letters sign (meaning go).  Private roads are identified with a red background and white letters sign.

                        I there isn’t cache on a private road my advice is do not go there.

                        Huggy Bear Fbg

                        Luther

                        A friend of a friend lives out in Mason county. There are a few gates on their road, even though it's a public road. That's to keep the cows in. The gates to their house are not locked. But they also told me of neighbors on other roads who do lock their gates, even though it's a public road.

                        Not a spotlight, maybe a candle or two.

                        --Di
                        dirich92

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Detlefsen <mdmeleagro945@...> wrote:

                        > I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.
                        >
                        > Anybody have any light to shed on this?
                        >
                        > Mike
                        > jmd65

                      • Greg Jewett
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 22, 2012
                          All..

                          I would like to post this to the website.  I did not cursory google search and came up with nada.  I admit that I did not dig that well.   If anyone has any solid information, websites, or anything -- please send it to ammocan@....

                          Thanks!

                          From: dirich92@...
                          A friend of a friend lives out in Mason county. There are a few gates on their road, even though it's a public road. That's to keep the cows in. The gates to their house are not locked. But they also told me of neighbors on other roads who do lock their gates, even though it's a public road.

                          In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Detlefsen <mdmeleagro945@...> wrote:
                          I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.

                          Greg Jewett
                          Geocacher Handle:  GeoJewett
                          (512) 627-7290
                          geojewett (at) geocachingaustin.com