Question about finding archived caches

  • Dave Marquardt
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 13, 2012
      So, I found a cache today.  After I got home, I discovered why I hadn't noticed when studying a map on geocaching.com, and that was because the cache had been archived.  But at some point in the past few weeks it was in one of my pocket queries and then ended up on my GPSr.

      So, I've logged the cache, and would like to count it, because the cache is still there and I found it.  The cache in question is GC3Y0N3 Traditional Cache Walnut Creek Achievement Challenge, and was archived by the Prime Reviewer on 11/9/2012.

      Any thoughts on this?  I know we all play the game the way we think is right, and my thought is to go ahead and count this find.

      -Balde Runner
       (Dave)
    • Shawn Olsen
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 13, 2012
        You found it! Log it!

        My $0.02

        Shawn/ S6sputnik

        On Nov 13, 2012, at 7:15 PM, Dave Marquardt <dave.marquardt.tx@...> wrote:

        So, I found a cache today.  After I got home, I discovered why I hadn't noticed when studying a map on geocaching.com, and that was because the cache had been archived.  But at some point in the past few weeks it was in one of my pocket queries and then ended up on my GPSr.

        So, I've logged the cache, and would like to count it, because the cache is still there and I found it.  The cache in question is GC3Y0N3 Traditional Cache Walnut Creek Achievement Challenge, and was archived by the Prime Reviewer on 11/9/2012.

        Any thoughts on this?  I know we all play the game the way we think is right, and my thought is to go ahead and count this find.

        -Balde Runner
         (Dave)

      • Bill Ellis
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 13, 2012
          If you found a cache at the given cords, even though its archived I say log it. Esp. if the log or container indicate its the same cache.  I have found and logged a couple archived caches.

          However, there are certain challenge caches that may require a certain types of cache be found, you will have had to have found it prior to it being archived for it to count for the challenge.

          But Generally speaking, there is no issues with logging an Archived cache if you have found it.

          --
          ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
          Bill
          a.k.a ZionZR2
          512-789-1469
          <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 13, 2012
            I'm with Bill. You practiced due dilligence...
            BarbJ/Tygress

            If you found a cache at the given cords, even though its archived I say log it. Esp. if the log or container indicate its the same cache.� I have found and logged a couple archived caches.�

            However, there are certain challenge caches that may require a certain types of cache be found, you will have had to have found it prior to it being archived for it to count for the challenge.�

            But Generally speaking, there is no issues with logging an Archived cache if you have found it.

            On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM, Dave Marquardt <dave.marquardt.tx@...> wrote:

            So, I found a cache today.� After I got home, I discovered why I hadn't noticed when studying a map on geocaching.com, and that was because the cache had been archived.� But at some point in the past few weeks it was in one of my pocket queries and then ended up on my GPSr.

            So, I've logged the cache, and would like to count it, because the cache is still there and I found it.� The cache in question is GC3Y0N3 Traditional Cache Walnut Creek Achievement Challenge, and was archived by the Prime Reviewer on 11/9/2012.

            Any thoughts on this?� I know we all play the game the way we think is right, and my thought is to go ahead and count this find.

            -Balde Runner
            �(Dave)

            --
            ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
            Bill
            a.k.a ZionZR2
            512-789-1469
            <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

            Woman is 53 But Looks 25
            ConsumerLifestyleMag.com
          • Mike Detlefsen

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 14, 2012
                I'd count it.  Did Prime say why it was archived?

                Russ the Waterweasel

                So, I found a cache today.  After I got home, I discovered why I hadn't noticed when studying a map on geocaching.com, and that was because the cache had been archived.  But at some point in the past few weeks it was in one of my pocket queries and then ended up on my GPSr.

                So, I've logged the cache, and would like to count it, because the cache is still there and I found it.  The cache in question is GC3Y0N3 Traditional Cache Walnut Creek Achievement Challenge, and was archived by the Prime Reviewer on 11/9/2012.

                Any thoughts on this?  I know we all play the game the way we think is right, and my thought is to go ahead and count this find.

                -Balde Runner
                 (Dave)

              • electric_water_boy
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 14, 2012
                  I got an FTF on a cache that was archived because the coordinates were almost 70 miles off. See http://coord.info/GC102Z0

                  EWB - Tom

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dave Marquardt <dave.marquardt.tx@...> wrote:

                  > So, I found a cache today. After I got home, I discovered why I hadn't
                  > noticed when studying a map on geocaching.com, and that was because the
                  > cache had been archived. But at some point in the past few weeks it was in
                  > one of my pocket queries and then ended up on my GPSr.
                  >
                  > So, I've logged the cache, and would like to count it, because the cache is
                  > still there and I found it. The cache in question is
                  > *GC3Y0N3<http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fb1a6786-f20e-47fb-8f0a-cabb0ea7d123>
                  > * [image: Traditional Cache] Walnut Creek Achievement Challenge, and was
                  > archived by the Prime Reviewer on 11/9/2012.
                  >
                  > Any thoughts on this? I know we all play the game the way we think is
                  > right, and my thought is to go ahead and count this find.
                  >
                  > -Balde Runner
                  > (Dave)

                • Paul Albers
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 14, 2012
                    It would appear that Prime thought the cache was now a challenge cache, which it is not. There is
                    an additional 'bonus' that is a challenge, but there is no need to do this challenge to claim a smiley
                    on the cache. Therefore, this truly isn't an actual challenge cache, just something to help get people
                    out into the park to enjoy all the other great hides. The cache owner will add your name to the webpage
                    when you complete the challenge, but again it is not required to do so at all to claim a find. You also
                    don't get bonus smilies. I don't think Prime actually read the page closely to find this out, just noticed
                    the cache page had changed after approval, saw the challenge verbiage, and assumed it was now
                    a challenge cache, which is not what he approved. This is not the case, but the page was changed.

                    This would make for a great actual challenge cache ( ? puzzle type ), but it would be hard to say if
                    Prime would approve. He doesn't like challenge caches that have you finding very specific caches to
                    complete the challenge, though there are hundreds of them across the country, including many here
                    in Texas that he has approved. It is one of those very subjective rules that plays differently across
                    the country.

                    Hopefully communication is taking place to get this one activated again. It is not a challenge cache.

                    I have other 'ideas' on why this one was snap archived, but I'll keep those to myself.

                    -paul
                    HiDude_98

                    Russ Jernigan wrote:
                    I'd count it.  Did Prime say why it was archived?

                    Russ the Waterweasel
                  • Denise Vajdak
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 14, 2012
                      Before logging an archived cache, I would check with the CO first as to why it was archived and if it's okay to log it.

                      Maybe it was cross-listed and the duplicate listing was archived.  In that case, I personally would log it on the active listing site only.

                      If a cache had been missing and was archived by the owner, they might be excited to know the cache container is still around (and probably got moved), so they might want to put it in another location and create a new smiley opportunity.

                      Denise E. Vajdak  ><>  (aka NativTxn)
                      http://tx.ag/denise

                      AdvoCare Independent Distributor

                      Russ Jernigan wrote:
                      I'd count it.  Did Prime say why it was archived?

                      Russ the Waterweasel

                    • Indigo Parrish
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 14, 2012
                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dave Marquardt <dave.marquardt.tx@...> wrote:

                        > So, I found a cache today. After I got home, I discovered why I hadn't
                        > noticed when studying a map on geocaching.com, and that was because the
                        > cache had been archived. But at some point in the past few weeks it was in
                        > one of my pocket queries and then ended up on my GPSr.
                        >
                        > So, I've logged the cache, and would like to count it, because the cache is
                        > still there and I found it. The cache in question is
                        > *GC3Y0N3<http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fb1a6786-f20e-47fb-8f0a-cabb0ea7d123>
                        > * [image: Traditional Cache] Walnut Creek Achievement Challenge, and was
                        > archived by the Prime Reviewer on 11/9/2012.
                        >
                        > Any thoughts on this? I know we all play the game the way we think is
                        > right, and my thought is to go ahead and count this find.

                        Here are my thoughts --

                        If you find a physical cache
                        that is still in the wild
                        and find it as intended
                        and sign the physical log
                        and the cache was published online
                        and it isn't locked from new logs

                        then you post your find even if it's archived.

                        Now there aren't very many such caches in the wild, so hunting them is typically a Fool's Errand. But occasionally you'll stumble across them for whatever reason. I have a few finds like this, and they are like finding real buried treasure :)

                        -Keith (Indigo Parrish)
                      • jdh6603
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 14, 2012
                          Sorry if this posts twice...

                          It's a long story, but the short is that the cache was archived without notice. The container is still there, while I'm trying to clear up the confusion and understand the reviewers objections. I don't think the cache violates any guidelines and I'm hopeful I can get it un-archived, perhaps with better wording. I have no objection to you logging the find, except that it might be better to wait until after it is active again, so the reviewer doesn't think I'm advocating ignoring his objections.

                          If anyone knows a guideline I'm missing, please drop me a hint.

                          Happy Caching,
                          John (ATXTracker)

                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dave Marquardt <dave.marquardt.tx@...> wrote:

                          > So, I found a cache today. After I got home, I discovered why I hadn't
                          > noticed when studying a map on geocaching.com, and that was because the
                          > cache had been archived. But at some point in the past few weeks it was in
                          > one of my pocket queries and then ended up on my GPSr.
                          >
                          > So, I've logged the cache, and would like to count it, because the cache is
                          > still there and I found it. The cache in question is
                          > *GC3Y0N3<http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fb1a6786-f20e-47fb-8f0a-cabb0ea7d123>
                          > * [image: Traditional Cache] Walnut Creek Achievement Challenge, and was
                          > archived by the Prime Reviewer on 11/9/2012.
                          >
                          > Any thoughts on this? I know we all play the game the way we think is
                          > right, and my thought is to go ahead and count this find.
                          >
                          > -Balde Runner
                          > (Dave)

                        • semperquestio
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 14, 2012
                            Prime's statement is pretty clear. Apparently his position is that it was reviewed as being one type of cache but was then modified into being a challenge cache who's guidelines are different. If it is true or not, I have no idea and I'm not going to try to sit in any kind of judgement over the issue. All I can suggest is to communicate with Prime about getting it reviewed as a challenge and tweak it as he guides you to until it complies with the guidelines in respect to challenge caches and you can get it re-published. If there are any difficulties with the process you can appeal to Groundspeak.

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "jdh6603" <jdh6603@...> wrote:

                            > Sorry if this posts twice...
                            >
                            > It's a long story, but the short is that the cache was archived without notice. The container is still there, while I'm trying to clear up the confusion and understand the reviewers objections. I don't think the cache violates any guidelines and I'm hopeful I can get it un-archived, perhaps with better wording. I have no objection to you logging the find, except that it might be better to wait until after it is active again, so the reviewer doesn't think I'm advocating ignoring his objections.
                            >
                            > If anyone knows a guideline I'm missing, please drop me a hint.
                            >
                            > Happy Caching,
                            > John (ATXTracker)
                            >

                            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dave Marquardt <dave.marquardt.tx@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > So, I found a cache today. After I got home, I discovered why I hadn't
                            > > noticed when studying a map on geocaching.com, and that was because the
                            > > cache had been archived. But at some point in the past few weeks it was in
                            > > one of my pocket queries and then ended up on my GPSr.
                            > >
                            > > So, I've logged the cache, and would like to count it, because the cache is
                            > > still there and I found it. The cache in question is
                            > > *GC3Y0N3<http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fb1a6786-f20e-47fb-8f0a-cabb0ea7d123>
                            > > * [image: Traditional Cache] Walnut Creek Achievement Challenge, and was
                            > > archived by the Prime Reviewer on 11/9/2012.
                            > >
                            > > Any thoughts on this? I know we all play the game the way we think is
                            > > right, and my thought is to go ahead and count this find.
                            > >
                            > > -Balde Runner
                            > > (Dave)

                          • Jay Bingham
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 15, 2012

                              As Keith (Indigo Parish) pointed out, as long as it is not “locked from new logs” it can be logged. However once it has been “locked from new logs” it will not be possible to log it.

                              I do not know the exact mechanism that is employed to lock a cache from new logs, but I know that it does happen. I found a cache that had been archived and had been found and logged by someone else after it was archived by Prime Reviewer but when I attempted to log it I could not because it had been locked from accepting new logs, when I asked Prime Reviewer about letting me log it he said sorry. I know that locking the logs does not occur simultaneously with archiving, but I suspect that the locking of the logs may occur automatically after a specific period of time once a cache is archived (people who found it before it was archived need to be allowed time to log it, right).

                              --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
                                I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.

                                Anybody have any light to shed on this?

                                Mike
                                jmd65
                              • dirich92@gmail.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012
                                  A friend of a friend lives out in Mason county. There are a few gates on their road, even though it's a public road. That's to keep the cows in. The gates to their house are not locked. But they also told me of neighbors on other roads who do lock their gates, even though it's a public road.

                                  Not a spotlight, maybe a candle or two.

                                  --Di
                                  dirich92

                                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Detlefsen <mdmeleagro945@...> wrote:

                                  > I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.
                                  >
                                  > Anybody have any light to shed on this?
                                  >
                                  > Mike
                                  > jmd65

                                • Luther Rode
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012

                                    I liveGillespie County where all the county roads are paved.  County roads are identified with a green background and white letters sign (meaning go).  Private roads are identified with a red background and white letters sign.

                                    I there isn’t cache on a private road my advice is do not go there.

                                    Huggy Bear Fbg

                                    Luther

                                    A friend of a friend lives out in Mason county. There are a few gates on their road, even though it's a public road. That's to keep the cows in. The gates to their house are not locked. But they also told me of neighbors on other roads who do lock their gates, even though it's a public road.

                                    Not a spotlight, maybe a candle or two.

                                    --Di
                                    dirich92

                                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Detlefsen <mdmeleagro945@...> wrote:

                                    > I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.
                                    >
                                    > Anybody have any light to shed on this?
                                    >
                                    > Mike
                                    > jmd65

                                  • Greg Jewett
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 22, 2012
                                      All..

                                      I would like to post this to the website.  I did not cursory google search and came up with nada.  I admit that I did not dig that well.   If anyone has any solid information, websites, or anything -- please send it to ammocan@....

                                      Thanks!

                                      From: dirich92@...
                                      A friend of a friend lives out in Mason county. There are a few gates on their road, even though it's a public road. That's to keep the cows in. The gates to their house are not locked. But they also told me of neighbors on other roads who do lock their gates, even though it's a public road.

                                      In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Detlefsen <mdmeleagro945@...> wrote:
                                      I've been roaming around to find some places for new caches the last few weeks, and I have seen more than a few gravel roads branching off paved routes that are marked as County Roads on my maps (phone/tablet apps from several sources), but they have gates that are closed and padlocked. I would have thought that county roads would have public access. Granted that the maps I'm using could be in error on some of these, but some have physical signs posted identifying them.

                                      Greg Jewett
                                      Geocacher Handle:  GeoJewett
                                      (512) 627-7290
                                      geojewett (at) geocachingaustin.com