Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Logging Blunders...???

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 3, 2012
      When I logged the Route 66/ET 2500 one-by-one, apparently I got distracted and felt the need to double log not one, but about 5
      I keep two separate lists -- the geocaching.com version, and one in Excel (yes, I *know* there's a thing called GSAK, but I started with the devil I knew, and continue...) It's kindal like two column accounting -- where the horizontal sums have to equal the vertical....
      So when the counts from the two sources didn't match up... oh.
      It took a while but I found the dups. Some got deleted, some turned to notes. Numbers match. [And, yes, there are ways using GSAK to pick up the dups... just as there are in Excel... more elegant solutions are always available... just not necessarily in the moment. And once you're off down that crazy dirt byway....]

      So, knowing the way I log ... if *I* can double log, ANYBODY can.

      And then there's the mouse slip when the wrong status gets selected. Usually my fellow cachers catch me on that... Or I'll remember to check totals again and go hunting.  Those stand out in the profile better than the double logging. =g=

      When either happens on one of my caches, I'll gently point out the error...

      -B/Tygress

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2012
        Is it a logging blunder when you have to log a find on one of your own hidden caches? Yelp I am guilty, but in my defence I had a couple of out of towners logging they couldn't find it on their cellphone and I was replying and when I realize they were still there and I was only 1 mile away. So met up with them and sure enough the cache was not in it GZ but about 42' from it. Well make a long story short the last cacher thought my gps was way off and moved it to where their gps said it should be.
      • Mrs. Captain Picard
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 3, 2012
          That's more of a FINDING BLUNDER to me!

          LOL!

          Cheers,

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2012
            *SIGH*
            Though some of mine have a grand time going invisible within a 10 foot radius. It's good practice.
            -B/Tygress

            Is it a logging blunder when you have to log a find on one of your own hidden caches? Yelp I am guilty, but in my defence I had a couple of out of towners logging they couldn't find it on their cellphone and I was replying and when I realize they were still there and I was only 1 mile away. So met up with them and sure enough the cache was not in it GZ but about 42' from it. Well make a long story short the last cacher thought my gps was way off and moved it to where their gps said it should be.

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:

            Woman is 53 But Looks 25
            ConsumerLifestyleMag.com
          • Esther Lopez
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2012
              About 2 weeks ago I had to use the PAF option on one of MY OWN CACHES! Yup, they even sent me a picture of where they had found it and I STILL had trouble locating it. I can attest that it was NOT where I had put it! I was so upset and HOT (100 degrees out) that I almost took a smiley for finally finding it!
              Instead I archived the original hide and rehid it in another spot and in a bit different container. I figured why should I be the only one suffering over the cache.
              Now everyone can come back and do it all over again!!!!!!!!

              I know that is not really a logging blunder, but it is one of the MANY reasons that I joined the ISAG (I suck at geocaching!) yahoo group!

              Esther/BGTx

              Is it a logging blunder when you have to log a find on one of your own hidden caches? Yelp I am guilty, but in my defence I had a couple of out of towners logging they couldn't find it on their cellphone and I was replying and when I realize they were still there and I was only 1 mile away. So met up with them and sure enough the cache was not in it GZ but about 42' from it. Well make a long story short the last cacher thought my gps was way off and moved it to where their gps said it should be.

            • Jay Bingham
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 4, 2012

                Now Ester I don’t believe for one minute that you are a bona fide member of ISAG.

                --| Jay /\ Bing-GTX

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 4, 2012
                  Jay, at any moment on any day, we could ALL be bonafided members of ISAG. I think that is one of the many reasons that I love geocaching....sometimes it kicks your butt!