RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] OT: Smartphones

  • Gary Eckhardt
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 17, 2012

      I use my HTC Evo 4G pretty much exclusively when I go Geocaching.  My Garmin is in my bag, but usually only for when the phone is having issues, or I’m out of a service area.

      Here’s an interesting thing about the GPS on a Google phone:  The GPS is accurate in Google maps, but it’s even MORE accurate if you have 4G and Wi-Fi enabled, and you’re in a covered service area.  Google interpolates all three signals to hone your location down even more precisely – and you always wondered what all that hubbub was about when it was revealed that Google was trapping Wi-Fi data along with its Google Street View cameras.   I suspect they figure out what access points they can see and signal strength, and use that along with their Geo-located information database to give you a better bead on where you are.

      Anyhow, HTC has always been good to me, using the c:geo app, but be forewarned that when you’re in the middle of nowhere with no 3G or 4G coverage, it can be tricky.