Texas Challenge 2014 Location Ideas

  • electric_water_boy
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 8, 2012
      I would sure love to say at the 2013 Challenge where the 2014 Challenge will be, which doesn't give us much time. I've been thinking for months where we should have it and I keep going back to Inks Lake. We've already had one there, so I'm not sure we should do a repeat. If you've got a good place in mind, post up!

      EWB - Tom
    • Jana Fite
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8, 2012
        On 8/8/2012 11:08 AM, electric_water_boy wrote:

        what's wrong with a repeat location?  Inks Lake was a good spot......

        I would sure love to say at the 2013 Challenge where the 2014 Challenge will be, which doesn't give us much time. I've been thinking for months where we should have it and I keep going back to Inks Lake. We've already had one there, so I'm not sure we should do a repeat. If you've got a good place in mind, post up!

        EWB - Tom

      • Mrs. Captain Picard

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 9, 2012
            I agree with Julie.

            We have to be mindful of a place that can handle a swarm.

            Of course, I may be prejudiced, but the Fredericksburg format was still my favorite evah.... apparently it didn't float with the other regions, though....

            -B/Tygress

[...]

            Woman is 57 But Looks 27
            ConsumerLifestyles.org
          • electric_water_boy
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 9, 2012
              I'm on the same page with you their Julie. It'd be one thing if we had a state park that could meet every need, but we're limited there. I liked TC2009, which is why I ad suggested taking over a town to South Texas. What they're planning isn't exactly what I had in mind, but I think it would work better than my idea. Of course that may all change when we find out what the hide team has done.

              Anyway, I'm all for trying something new. Playing the same game on a very different playground could make the game a whole lot more interesting!

              EWB - Tom

              > Inks simply doesn't have the infrastructure to host a mega event. We
              > struggled to host 250 people the last time we were there in 2006. There
              > are no parking spaces, and no pavilions. I love Inks, but I think we've
              > outgrown them.
              >
              > Let's not limit ourselves to state parks! The 2009 Challenge was based at
              > the city park in Fredericksburg, with events staged out at Enchanted Rock
              > and around town. I felt like that was pretty successful. We need to
              > consider large recreation centers, fairgrounds, churches, schools, etc.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Julie
              > Mrs. Captain Picard
              >
              > On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Jana Fite <cybercat@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > On 8/8/2012 11:08 AM, electric_water_boy wrote:
              > >
              > > what's wrong with a repeat location? Inks Lake was a good spot......
              > >

              > > I would sure love to say at the 2013 Challenge where the 2014 Challenge
              > > will be, which doesn't give us much time. I've been thinking for months
              > > where we should have it and I keep going back to Inks Lake. We've already
              > > had one there, so I'm not sure we should do a repeat. If you've got a good
              > > place in mind, post up!
              > >
              > > EWB - Tom

            • Jestr
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 9, 2012
                What's the harm in having something different every 4-5 years, eh? Takes people out of their comfort zone and highlights new stuff!!

                Jeri / JestrRulz

                On Aug 9, 2012, at 12:01 PM, "gumbietygress@..." <gumbietygress@...> wrote:

                I agree with Julie.

                We
                Of course, I may be prejudiced, but the Fredericksburg format was still my favorite evah.... apparently it didn't float with the other regions, though....

                -B/Tygress

              • Kevin (KoosKoos)
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 12, 2012
                  If you're determined to have it at a state park, I'd suggest calling one of the TXGA contacts at Parks and Wildlife to ask for suggestions.  At Inks Lake, we got the feeling that while they welcomed us, they didn't need our help to sell out their park on a weekend, so they weren't as open to working with us as some locations might be.  And while Bastrop could sure use the revenue and awareness, I'm not sure they'd want hundreds of geocachers running rampant through the park as it's recovering from the fires.

                  TPWD could tell you which parks might need a boost in publicity and which ones might best fit our needs when it comes to facilities and available space.  In our region, I don't know if there are any parks that need our help to fill up or can easily handle 500+ cachers for the weekend (assuming you think it'd go mega again).

                  As Julie pointed out, you could always branch out and look at county fairgrounds, private campgrounds, or other city facilities for camping/hosting.  Depending on the area, you can have people camping in one location and play the game in another as we did in 2009.

                  Kevin
                  KoosKoos