New Geocaching Social Group

  • chemist_kahuna
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 5, 2012
      Hi Y'all. Actually I think the plural form is all y'all,
      I'm new to the area and didn't know about this discussion group. I started a Meet-up group because where I came from there was a regular group of cachers that met for breakfast on weekends and then went out either on their way or to hit a few caches together. The Meet-up group thing can fill the same function, without setting up an event cache for every meeting, and allowing people to come and go as they see fit. Y'all, collectively and individually, are invited to join. Actually, I'm not the best person to do this because I barely know how to use my GPS and often cant find the haystack, much less the needle. So feel free to drop by and help out, or just pig out, for breakfast. Or suggest other outings.

      http://www.meetup.com/Geocachers-of-Central-Texas/
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 5, 2012
        You're not that new -- I've been admiring your cool sig items for a couple years!
        Great idea... someday I might drop in.
        Don't think yourself snubbed from here -- I really am a drama queen, which means my Saturdays of late have been shot.
        (Speaking of which, last two nights to see The Kitchen Witches -- hey, Travis (Daffy71) & Kim (Haliades) came all the way from Killeen!)

        Good luck, I'm sure this social bunch will rise to the call.

        BarbJ/Tygress

        Hi Y'all.  Actually I think the plural form is all y'all,
        I'm new to the area and didn't know about this discussion group.  I started a Meet-up group because where I came from there was a regular group of cachers that met for breakfast on weekends and then went out either on their way or to hit a few caches together.  The Meet-up group thing can fill the same function, without setting up an event cache for every meeting, and allowing people to come and go as they see fit.  Y'all, collectively and individually, are invited to join.  Actually, I'm not the best person to do this because I barely know how to use my GPS and often cant find the haystack, much less the needle.  So feel free to drop by and help out, or just pig out, for breakfast.  Or suggest other outings.

        http://www.meetup.com/Geocachers-of-Central-Texas/

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

        53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
        consumerproducts.com
      • Jana Iannello

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 5, 2012
            Hi Cybercat...I've been here for a couple years, but not really active in the Geocommunity.  The Meet-up charges organizers a monthly fee to host the webpage, which I paid for three months, but I'd like to recoup rather than footing myself each month.  In practice, I'm in several other groups, some charge, some do not, and there is a loose accounting system.  It's kinda like paying somebody for freeware that you think is worth paying for - if you find yourself using it alot.
            Rick

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 5, 2012
              Yeah, I'm not that new, just haven't been going to any social stuff in the Geocommunity.  I like going out for breakfast, and now I have a reason to combine that with Geocaching.  I like theater too - maybe I'll look up your play.
              Rick

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 5, 2012

                  great..........why is it $10 to join?

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 5, 2012
                    The meet-up site charges organizers a monthly fee to set up any new group.  I paid for three months to see if there was any interest, but I don't want to continue paying the monthly service fee if others don't chip in.  I could carry the cost myself, but I thought I'd ask for the fee to recoup the cost.  My wife advised against it, and I'm on the fence, really, too.  I may stop that if it bugs too many people, but then I'm going to continue paying... so I don't know whats best.
                    Rick

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 5, 2012
                      Howdy Rick!
                      How about a "tip jar" at the event/meet up so that those that come can help out a little.
                      It would be interesting for you to do a little "taste test" so to speak.
                      Make one an event, one not and then change the area of town where it is held and see who shows up. I'm curious about how it goes. Good luck!
                      Esther/BGTx

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 6, 2012
                        You're always welcome to join us -- there's an event at Mesa Rosa tonight (I think the 620 one)  Most of us don't bite. =g=

                        Theatre -- well, can't throw a bison tube without hitting some.
                        Kitchen Witches is a cute show, and folks have been really liking it. If you want to combine caching, there are several around there -- five in Bagdad Cemetery alone!
                        Bigger productions are always happening at The Georgetown Palace (Annie Get Your Gun is the current musical extravaganza). Of course Sam Bass usually has something going. Paradox Players.... well, like I said.

                        If you do make it to KW, be sure to introduce yourself!  Like I said, I've been enjoying your Chemist themed sig items for quite a while -- very clever. And your Phone a Friend redirect will remain a favorite cache memory. [Not just because I didn't kill myself getting to it! LOL.]

                        BarbJ=multipurposing=Tygress

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 6, 2012
                          Tip jar at the meet-up?

                          BarbJ = I hear you. = Tygress

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 6, 2012
                            And don't forget to ask Greg Jewett to cross post on the CenTex GC website!
                            BarbJ=marketing=Tygress

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 6, 2012
                              Where is this place at?

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 6, 2012
                                Jo's Coffee Shop is about one mile from the river on S. Congress, just before you get to the place with all the food trailers, on the west side of the street.  I was planning on coming to the Mesa Rosa event, and maybe to the Kitchen Witches on Saturday....
                                Rick

[...]

                                  ;

                                53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
                                consumerproducts.com

                              • Rick Blevins
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 6, 2012
                                  I like the tip jar idea - it beats having to explain to all the people who think I'm trying to take their money for nothing.  Maybe I should say all profits go to the dying children's make-a-wish fund.   Nah.  I'll go with the tip jar.
                                  Rick
[...]

                                  <*> To unsubscribe from th is group, send an email to:

                                  53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
                                  consumerproducts.com

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 6, 2012
                                    Which? I named 4...

                                    1. The Rumors of our Demise ... (GC3NT2V) on 06 July 2012 by Moosiegirl. Mesa Rosa on 620 -- btn Great Oaks & 45 -- Round Rock. 1.59 mi S. http://coord.info/GC3NT2V

                                    2. Way Off Broadway Community Players -- 11880 W FM 2243 bldg 4 Leander (between 183 & Bagdad Road, across from Bagdad Cemetery... go to www.wobcp.org for better directions  Arrive by 7:45 -- Curtain at 8p.

                                    3. The Georgetown Palace Theater -- 1/2 block off the Courthouse Square - Austin Ave Georgetown

                                    4. Sam Bass Community Theatre -- in the depot in that tiny little park on Brushy Creek just east of I35.

                                    BarbJ =Helping?= Tygress

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 6, 2012
                                      Excellent! Hope you can make them both!

                                      BarbJ/Tygress

[...]

                                      Woman is 57 But Looks 27
                                      ConsumerLifestyles.org
                                    • busybeetoni
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 10, 2012
                                        Like I said on your event page, in the summertime on weekends I am usually already out caching by break of day, if I'm going. I try to get as much in before 11:00ish as possible before it gets hot. I don't always go though and a morning event will let me get my cache in for the day and get home to do chores.