Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] AlphaNumeric Cacher Name Challenge (GC3MV Z9)

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 13, 2012
      hmmmm... correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no geographic parameter (as well as no date parameter) listed on the cache page.... so that opens it up to cachers/caches from everywhere????

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 13, 2012
        Yes, the caches can be from anywhere as far as I can tell, and some in my list are not from this area. I was just hoping to be able to finish quickly close to home, but I guess that was wishful thinking.

        Larry

        > hmmmm... correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no geographic parameter (as well as no date parameter) listed on the cache page.... so that opens it up to cachers/caches from everywhere????

      • lignumaqua
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 13, 2012
          Yes, looks like any cache counts, unlike the other similar challenge cache where Events are excluded. It also requires the Owner Name field to be the one qualifying, not the Placed By field (which is often different).

          I'm also missing owner names beginning with 6 and 8 and there are none anywhere I'm going to be anytime soon. Esther can't bail us all out this time unless she opens a couple of new Geocache accounts called 6BGiT and 8BGiT (Hint Esther!)

          I've posted a macro to the file area that will check your Found database in GSAK to see if you qualify.

          I think Paul may have this one to himself for the moment! :-)

          Mike

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <buckandi@...> wrote:

          > Yes, the caches can be from anywhere as far as I can tell, and some in my list are not from this area. I was just hoping to be able to finish quickly close to home, but I guess that was wishful thinking.
          >
          > Larry
          >
          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "gumbietygress@" <gumbietygress@> wrote:
          > >
          > > hmmmm... correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no geographic parameter (as well as no date parameter) listed on the cache page.... so that opens it up to cachers/caches from everywhere????

        • Esther Lopez
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 13, 2012
            Although I am often available for D/T requests, I draw the line on "sock putter" accounts! Sorry boys (and girls!), you are on your own with this one!!!!!

            Sent from my iPhone

            =
          • Esther Lopez
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 13, 2012
              Darn spell checker on my phone! I meant sock puppet not sock putter!
              Although putting your socks doesn't sound half bad.!

              Sent from my iPhone

              =

              =
            • Matt Wilson
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 14, 2012
                Hello, old friends!  I haven’t been very active lately, but I *have* been lurking!  :-)

                Anything like this that makes me use my PowerShell scripting skills is sure to catch my interest.  Not having the time, but definitely having the intrinsic motivation, I wrote a PowerShell script for this problem (which included some functions that I know I’ll use later on, so this isn’t an entirely “custom” solution to a single problem, but rather the potential start to other PowerShell related commands to work with GPX files.

                Anyway, I’m sorry that I don’t have time to explain this much, but note that the code below is PowerShell code.  PowerShell should exist on any Windows 7 computer.  Just search your Start Menu for “PowerShell” and off you go with what LOOKS like an old-school DOS command line.  However, PowerShell is SO much more.  It’s an object-oriented scripting environment (I know I lost some of you there, but bear with me), that allows for some awesome easy manipulation of almost anything in Windows.

                Below are two custom functions that help with the general problem of Groundspeak GPX files not being 100% XML friendly.  These functions take plain-old GPX files (Pocket Queries) and get the stuff we want out of them.  Just toss all your GPX files in a single folder (C:\Dropbox\GC in my case) and the script will take care of the rest.

                The “$special_regex” line is the key to the original problem here.  Note that I added a “1” to the mix because, otherwise, I’m sorry to report that the answer to your question (at least with MY non-finds PQs!) is that there are no caches that match your requirement.  Adding “1” to the mix of first letter hiders lets me see 1Carlin’s and a few others.  You should definitely re-run this with your own GPX files, though.

                As I said, I really don’t have much time, so I’m hoping the other coders like Paul & Mike can help translate where needed.

                HAPPY POWERSHELLING!  :-)
                Matt / Kemis

                ##################################

                function Get-GCOwner ($wpt) {
                        # The "innerxml" property contains all the "groundspeak:*" xml attributes that I currently don't know how to handle as actual xml
                        # Therefore, let's take that ONE property and do some text manipulation...
                        # Take the single line of text and split it on all "<" (tag openings), then filter out any resulting lines that don't END with a ">"
                        # Finally, filter out any of those that don't match "placed_by" and we should be left with just the owner of the $wpt
                        ($wpt.innerxml.split('<') | ?{$_ -match "placed_by"} | ?{$_ -notmatch [regex]".*>$"}).split('>') | ?{$_ -notmatch "placed_by"}
                }

                function Get-GCCustomWpt ($wpts) {
                        foreach ($wpt in $wpts) {
                                $custom_wpt = "" | Select Name, UrlName, Placed_By
                                $custom_wpt.Name = $wpt.Name
                                $custom_wpt.UrlName = $wpt.UrlName
                                $custom_wpt.Placed_By = Get-GCOwner $wpt
                                $custom_wpt
                        }
                }

                $pq_dir = "C:\dropbox\gc\"
                $gpx_files = Get-ChildItem $pq_dir\*.gpx
                $pq = foreach ($gpx_file in $gpx_files) { ([xml](get-content $gpx_file)).gpx.wpt }

                $custom_wpts = Get-GCCustomWpt $pq
                $special_regex = [regex]"^[0168Yy].*"
                $custom_wpts | ?{$_.placed_by -match $special_regex}

                ####################

                OUTPUT:

                Name    UrlName                                        Placed_By
                ----    -------                                        ---------
                GC20E0P View                                           1Carlin
                GC20EN7 Cactus                                         1Carlin
                GC20ENG Mesa                                           1Carlin
                GC20EME Arcadia                                        1Carlin
                GC29X7T Y.A.R.N. 5000                                  1Carlin
                GC23AWB Quixotic, For the Birds                        1Carlin
                GC23AWM Xenium,  For the Birds                         1Carlin
                GC25KW2 It's a Park and Grab                           1Carlin
                GC25KVP Swimming Hole                                  1Carlin
                GC25KV9 You Can't Go In There, For the Birds           1Carlin
                GC20EMY Lighthouse                                     1Carlin
                GC23ANA Zi's Neighborhood                              1Carlin
                GC2E9JB Perdy: Waterfront Property                     1Carlin
                GC35556 Stir Fry                                       1Carlin
                GC2NN49 Herbert E. Butt #2                             1Carlin
                GC32RHG I just couldn't Resist!                        1Carlin
                GC32RDW August in Austin: Braving the Elements         1Carlin
                GC2PV1B Speed Trap                                     1Carlin
                GC2PV22 Real Estate: For the Birds                     1Carlin
                GC2PV2M Massive Fencing: For the Birds                 1Carlin
                GC2PV3J No Bicycles Allowed: For the Birds             1Carlin
                GC2T1KG Aww this SUCKS!                                1Carlin
                GC2PPTJ Posted: For the Birds                          1Carlin
                GC2PPRG ORDER UP!                                      1Carlin
                GC2P3FT Y.A.R.N. Low Man                               1Carlin
                GC2P3HX Cheers!...... to the Cro's Hall of Fame Series 1Carlin
                GC34J1K Lundelius Watershed                            112DOC
                GC34J1Z Cache in the Bank                              112DOC
                GC38301 The Root of the Matter                         112DOC
                GC36ZTD Keychain Kache                                 112DOC
                GC35QE4 Oops!...I did it again...                      112DOC
                GC346X5 Y.A.R.Nish...                                  112DOC
                GC2XPF1 Manchaca Fire Hall                             112DOC
                GC3KCHN Enchanted                                      1Carlin
                GC3EH2M Go ahead. Stick your hand in there. (YAPIDKA)  112DOC
                GC3EH34 "Y" @ Oak Hill (YAPIDKA)                       112DOC
                GC3EH0W Indian Grass Prairie (YAPIDKA)                 112DOC

                Yes, looks like any cache counts, unlike the other similar challenge cache where Events are excluded. It also requires the Owner Name field to be the one qualifying, not the Placed By field (which is often different).

                I'm also missing owner names beginning with 6 and 8 and there are none anywhere I'm going to be anytime soon. Esther can't bail us all out this time unless she opens a couple of new Geocache accounts called 6BGiT and 8BGiT (Hint Esther!)

                I've posted a macro to the file area that will check your Found database in GSAK to see if you qualify.

                I think Paul may have this one to himself for the moment! :-)

                Mike

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <buckandi@...> wrote:

                > Yes, the caches can be from anywhere as far as I can tell, and some in my list are not from this area. I was just hoping to be able to finish quickly close to home, but I guess that was wishful thinking.
                >
                > Larry
                >
                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "gumbietygress@" <gumbietygress@> wrote:
                > >
                > > hmmmm... correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no geographic parameter (as well as no date parameter) listed on the cache page.... so that opens it up to cachers/caches from everywhere????

              • cradixus
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 14, 2012
                  Well, my original post via e-mail appears to have not gone through, so I'm resending this one via the Web page... The formatting is definitely not as intended, but hopefully it goes through this time...

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "lignumaqua" <geocaching@...> wrote:

                  > Yes, looks like any cache counts, unlike the other similar challenge cache where Events are excluded. It also requires the Owner Name field to be the one qualifying, not the Placed By field (which is often different).
                  >
                  > I'm also missing owner names beginning with 6 and 8 and there are none anywhere I'm going to be anytime soon. Esther can't bail us all out this time unless she opens a couple of new Geocache accounts called 6BGiT and 8BGiT (Hint Esther!)
                  >
                  > I've posted a macro to the file area that will check your Found database in GSAK to see if you qualify.
                  >
                  > I think Paul may have this one to himself for the moment! :-)
                  >
                  > Mike
                  >
                  > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" buckandi@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Yes, the caches can be from anywhere as far as I can tell, and some in my list are not from this area. I was just hoping to be able to finish quickly close to home, but I guess that was wishful thinking.
                  > >
                  > > Larry
                  > >
                  > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "gumbietygress@" <gumbietygress@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > hmmmm... correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no geographic parameter (as well as no date parameter) listed on the cache page.... so that opens it up to cachers/caches from everywhere????

                • Matt Wilson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 14, 2012
                    Testing, testing, 1..2..3…  Just a quick response to see if my longer one is getting filtered due to the code I’m trying to send though, or if my responses are no longer posted as soon as I’m used to…

                    Matt / Kemis