AlphaNumeric Cacher Name Challenge (GC3MVZ9)

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2012
      Hi, I don't have GSAK, so there is no easy way (that I know of) for me to find caches hidden by names starting with particular numbers/letters unless I know of them in advance. I don't think the geocaching.com search supports wildcard searches - let me know if there is a way to do that.

      So does anyone know if they are any active caches near Austin hidden by cachers with usernames starting with 0, 6, 8, or Y? These are all that I am missing. I was able to locate a couple of 7s hidden by 74beater near Pflugerville.

      You can see my list at www.mygeocachingprofile.com/userfiles/buckandi.AlphaNumeric.jpg in case any that might be of help to others.

      Thanks, Larry/buckandi
    • Paul Albers
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 13, 2012
        Larry,

        You could likely do some file manipulation on the GPX file you get
        from your PQ. If you aren't able to run PQs, then this will not be
        possible either, but I think he made the cache a premium member
        cache, so assuming you have the ability to run a PQ.

        Once you get the GPX file, you can either use some tool to strip out
        lines with </desc> in them. This will get you the name and who hid the
        cache. This is not perfect, but will get you most of them. You can then
        load the result into Excel, delimit the input on 'by' and then you can
        sort by username. I'm sure you could load the entire file into Excel
        as well and sort it, cut out the lines with </desc> and manipulate them.
        Since I have access to unix, I just do this all via command line to parse
        the data and sort to give me what I need.

        This should at least give you an idea if there are caches that you need
        in the area.

        Closest cacher names that I could find on quick search for the letters
        you need were:

        007Betz
        03BlkZ
        60minuteman
        6 legs, 2 hands, and a tail
        6Shooter
        82ndABN
        YourPath2Fitness
        yeeha53

        You might find something close enough to a future drive in the state to
        grab a hide or two from those above.

        Best Regards,

        -paul
        HiDude_98

        Larry wrote:

        >Hi, I don't have GSAK, so there is no easy way (that I know of) for me to find caches hidden by names starting with particular numbers/letters unless I know of them in advance. I don't think the geocaching.com search supports wildcard searches - let me know if there is a way to do that.
        >
        >So does anyone know if they are any active caches near Austin hidden by cachers with usernames starting with 0, 6, 8, or Y? These are all that I am missing. I was able to locate a couple of 7s hidden by 74beater near Pflugerville.
        >
        >You can see my list at www.mygeocachingprofile.com/userfiles/buckandi.AlphaNumeric.jpg in case any that might be of help to others.
        >
        >Thanks, Larry/buckandi

      • A
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2012
          For those who need a cache hidden by username starting with "Y" check out the new cache GC3NNBZ by "you_celli?" in NW Austin.
          Amy (GS589)