annular eclipse

    Message 1 of 5 , May 24, 2012
    Here is a geolog I posted, and some photos

    The sun is a burning thing
    And with the moon makes a fiery ring
    Bound by wild desire
    We chased that ring of fire

    We came chasing a burning ring of fire
    The sun sank down
    And the moon went higher.
    As the earth turns, turns, turns
    'Neath the ring of fire
    That ring of fire.

    To see an eclipse is sweet
    Distant rendezvous to meet
    From Austin, set course to see
    This phenom in totality

    We came chasing a burning ring of fire
    The sun sank down
    And the moon went higher.
    As the earth turns, turns, turns
    'Neath the ring of fire
    That ring of fire.

    Initial target is under cloud
    Hey, God! Is that allowed?
    Reroute both north and west
    As we pray, we'll fulfill our quest

    We came chasing a burning ring of fire
    The sun sank down
    And the moon went higher.
    As the earth turns, turns, turns
    'Neath the ring of fire
    That ring of fire.

    West, and wester, still
    Out in land, with not a hill
    New Mexico, well that will do
    Barely a cloud to obscure the view

    We came chasing a burning ring of fire
    The sun sank down
    And the moon went higher.
    As the earth turns, turns, turns
    'Neath the ring of fire
    That ring of fire.

    Spectacle, to thrill the mind
    Ringside seat, yes we did find
    Enjoyed the show, till sun was set
    No regrets, on that you bet!

    We came chasing a burning ring of fire
    The sun sank down
    And the moon went higher.
    As the earth turns, turns, turns
    'Neath the ring of fire
    That ring of fire.

    Well! That ROCKED! Headed out early from the Austin Metro -- our plan was to rendezvous with the path of totality around Lubbock. Only technology (yay SmartPhones & RADAR sites) said THAT was under cloud cover. Bummmer! So we modified our route further West & North, hoping to, in an anti-storm chaser use of technology, get out from under the front. That meant New Mexico. ALMOST dashed all the way to Roswell (that would have been cool), but the path of totality was North of that trajectory. So we veered up the 206 toward Clovis. Found a wonderful large pull out in Pep, just south of Dora with a half hour to spare. Watched the spectacle with great delight (using pinhole projectors -- 3 hole punch paper made quite a show, and doubled up welder's goggles -- steampunk costumery pays off!) until the last little bit of crescent sun dropped below the horizon.

    Hotel in Lubbock, so away we go. But, WAIT! there's a county to claim betwixt here and there -- and so we pause in the dark of a lonely road to nab this cache. TreyB had it found before the rest of us got our flashlights working. Whooo!

    So a BIG smile to end a fantabulous day. Sweet!

    Team WATT (Waterweasel, ACCLanMan, TreyB, & Tygress) chasing the solar eclipse.... and caches!
  • Esther Lopez
    Message 2 of 5 , May 24, 2012
      Wow! Thanks so much for sharing that very awesome sight!!!!!!

      Esther/BGTx

      Here is a geolog I posted, and some photos

      The sun is a burning thing
      And with the moon makes a fiery ring
      Bound by wild desire
      We chased that ring of fire

      We came chasing a burning ring of fire
      The sun sank down
      And the moon went higher.
      As the earth turns, turns, turns
      'Neath the ring of fire
      That ring of fire.

      To see an eclipse is sweet
      Distant rendezvous to meet
      From Austin, set course to see
      This phenom in totality

      Message 3 of 5 , May 24, 2012
        I've created a flicker set with all the pictures from the eclipse.
        Enjoy!

        53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
        consumerproducts.com
      • Jestr
        Message 4 of 5 , May 24, 2012
          Thanks for sharing Barb, et al. Those were awesome pics, filter and all. I must say though, that the llama was the suspicious one. It didn't have on goggles!!

          Jeri/JestrRulz

          Message 5 of 5 , May 25, 2012
            She watched US not the eclipse.... apparently we're not that bright. (=giggle=)

            BarbJ = can't hide suspicious eyes = Tygress

            Thanks for sharing Barb, et al. Those were awesome pics, filter and all. I must say though, that the llama was the suspicious one. It didn't have on goggles!!

            Jeri/JestrRulz

            On May 24, 2012, at 10:20 PM, "gumbietygress@..." <gumbietygress@...> wrote:

            I've created a flicker set with all the pictures from the eclipse.
            Enjoy!

            Woman is 51 But Looks 25!
            Mom reveals simple wrinkle secret that has angered doctors...
            ConsumerLifestyleMag.com