Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: For GSAK Users....

    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2012
      So, the a function of the first definition of API would have better food but a function of the second definition may be more useful overall?

      Russ the Waterweasel

      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2012

        Basically, the benefit of an API is that you don’t have to rely on “screen scraping” your data from a Groundspeak web page (something they really don’t like you doing).  The API talks directly to their system when performing a function, rather than sort of remote-controlling a web browser to do so.    The widespread use of the API probably won’t be seen, however, as they charge software developers a fee to have the privilege of using the API in their applications.   Many other sites (Google, for one) publishes their API to the world for free.  Groundspeak charges for their API because they also sell an application that uses it, and most likely, a better version of it as well.   I’ve always been in the camp of Groundspeak should be giving their app away for free to Premium members, or at least offering a discount, but I suppose they like to see the revenue coming in.

        Ok, I’m off my soapbox now….