Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Clearing the Needs Maintenance Icon

  • Barbara
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2012
      Thanks for the great info!

      Barbara ;)

      On May 3, 2012, at 11:30 AM, "semperquestio" <sqcaching@...> wrote:

      Hi Gang,

      It came to my attention recently that some folks around here don't know how to clear the Needs Maintenance (NM) icon from their caches, so I thought I'd come on here and address this for others who may not know about it.

      Just to be clear on what I am talking about, the NM icon is that little icon that shows up on lists and your cache page attributes that is a white cross on a red background. It is placed there when someone posts a "Needs Maintenance" log on your cache.

      When one of these logs is posted, the attribute is added to the cache listing and, of course, the posting is emailed to the cache owner (CO) and anyone watching hte cache either via the watchlist or bookmark features. The email is not sent to Groundspeak or a reviewer unless, of course, the reviewer is watching the cache.

      OK. So why does this matter? Very simply, because many folks filter out caches that have this NM attribute. I have seen many cases where a problem has been fixed, but the NM attribute has never been cleared so the cache will still not be seen by those that do this. So if you want you cache to get maximum visibility, you need to clear this attribute as soon as you address whatever problem the cache may have.

      Fortunately, clearing the attribute is VERY easy. All you, the CO, must do is go to your cache listing and write an "Owner Maintenance" log. You do this just like any other log. Go to the "Log you visit" link at the top of the right sidebar, click that, and post your log. This will remove the attribute.

      Just to be clear, there is no other way to clear it. Writing a note, deleting the any NM logs, etc. will not get it done. You MUST post an OM log to clear the attribute.

      That's all there is to it.

      HW/SQ

      =
    • Bill Ellis
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2012
        Great Tip!!!

        I'd like to offer a second way to clear it as well you can click on  "Edit Attributes" and remove the "Needs Maintenance" Icon.

        --
        ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
        Bill
        a.k.a ZionZR2
        512-789-1469
        <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
      • semperquestio
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2012
          That works now? It didn't use to. Good to know! Thanks!

          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2012
            Worked as long as I've been maintaining caches.

            But there have been so many software upgrades.
            An OM log in response to a NM log is a good thing, anyway, imho.

            BarbJ =many routes to an end=Tygress

            That works now?  It didn't use to.  Good to know!  Thanks!

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ellis <zionzr2@...> wrote:

            > Great Tip!!!
            >
            > I'd like to offer a second way to clear it as well you can click on  "Edit
            > Attributes" and remove the "Needs Maintenance" Icon.
            >

            > On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:30 AM, semperquestio <sqcaching@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Hi Gang,
            > >
            > > It came to my attention recently that some folks around here don't know
            > > how to clear the Needs Maintenance (NM) icon from their caches, so I
            > > thought I'd come on here and address this for others who may not know about
            > > it.
            > >
            > > Just to be clear on what I am talking about, the NM icon is that little
            > > icon that shows up on lists and your cache page attributes that is a white
            > > cross on a red background. It is placed there when someone posts a "Needs
            > > Maintenance" log on your cache.
            > >
            > > When one of these logs is posted, the attribute is added to the cache
            > > listing and, of course, the posting is emailed to the cache owner (CO) and
            > > anyone watching hte cache either via the watchlist or bookmark features.
            > > The email is not sent to Groundspeak or a reviewer unless, of course, the
            > > reviewer is watching the cache.
            > >
            > > OK. So why does this matter? Very simply, because many folks filter out
            > > caches that have this NM attribute. I have seen many cases where a problem
            > > has been fixed, but the NM attribute has never been cleared so the cache
            > > will still not be seen by those that do this. So if you want you cache to
            > > get maximum visibility, you need to clear this attribute as soon as you
            > > address whatever problem the cache may have.
            > >
            > > Fortunately, clearing the attribute is VERY easy. All you, the CO, must do
            > > is go to your cache listing and write an "Owner Maintenance" log. You do
            > > this just like any other log. Go to the "Log you visit" link at the top of
            > > the right sidebar, click that, and post your log. This will remove the
            > > attribute.
            > >
            > > Just to be clear, there is no other way to clear it. Writing a note,
            > > deleting the any NM logs, etc. will not get it done. You MUST post an OM
            > > log to clear the attribute.
            > >
            > > That's all there is to it.
            > >
            > > HW/SQ
            > >

            > --