My adventures

  • Jay Bingham
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2012

      Hi all,

      I just wanted to take a few moments and relate some of my adventures in the last month.

      First let me start out by saying that I will be living in Utah until sometime in August so I am going to miss the Awards event this year, bummer.

      On our way to Utah we took the long way around and stopped to visit with our son and his family in Las Vegas, more on that later.

      On our way to Las Vegas we stopped at the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest National Park. When I pulled out my phone to see what caches were in the area imagine my surprise to see that there were two recently placed caches inside the Painted Desert National park, you might think that there is nothing unusual about that and they are probably earthcaches. You would be wrong in thinking that, these are two actual container caches, a small and a regular (GC3F6XD - HistoricAZ66: The Painted Desert and GC3EPH7 - HistoricAZ66: Painted Desert Inn) placed by PEFO Ranger. Does this signal a change in the attitude of the National Park Service about geocaches, or is this just a localized change in attitude? I don’t know the answer to that, but from one of the logs for GC3EPH7 it appears that the staff is well aware of the cache and has no problem with it. We found and logged GC3EPH7, but it was very windy that day (gusts to 50 mph) and my wife was reluctant to take the hike to the other one. Another unusual thing about these caches they are take only caches, you don’t leave any swag but you get to take swag from them.

      Upon arriving in Las Vegas we went with our son and his family to the Clark County Fair which is in Logandale, NV about an hour north of Las Vegas. After spending the day at the fair, my wife and I went to look for a cache so that we could be sure we had at least one cache in Nevada. Imagine my surprise when the cache nearest to the fairgrounds was named Ask Cybercat. We found it and when I logged it I sent a note to the CO asking it the Cybercat for which the cache is named is the one that lives in Central Texas, she replied that indeed it was. When my grandkids found out that we had gone caching they insisted that we do some more so we went out the next day and found a few. My grandson did not want to quit and go home to eat.

      Now as to what I am doing in Utah for the summer. My wife and I will be working at a Boy Scout camp. I will miss the long hot Texas summer and caching there, I am not sure how much time I will have to cache once Camp starts up in June. The area we are in is not as densely populated with caches as the Austin area but there are some that I have already found and there look to be some others that will be fun to do.

      -
       _|_
         Jay -- Bing-GTX
        /\    Mt. Pleasant, UT USA (for awhile)
      . “What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.”

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 29, 2012
        Fun!
        And I believe everything except that bit about missing Texas summers. You seem like a sane person to me, so you must be fibbing. =smile=

        Have fun in Utah!

        BarbJ/Tygress

[...]

        53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
        consumerproducts.com
      • robert
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 29, 2012
          Is there anyone from Fort Hood on this group, or how do I go about finding people that geocache there in Fort Hood or the surrounding area.

          I am about to PCS from Germany and looking for a few people to help me out when I get there.

          Thank you in Advance

          Bob
        • Peter K. Simmang
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30, 2012
            Jay, sounds like fun times!  I see that "PEFO Ranger" is the Park's official GC account--wow, wish they'd had that back when we visited!  (Of course we got the earthcaches, virtuals, and Jr Ranger badges so we've still got Arizona.)

            Have a great summer!

            Peter/pksimmang

            --
            Peter K. Simmang
            Database Development

            (512) 914-4280
            efax (801) 730-4508

          • Jay Bingham
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 30, 2012

              Ok, you caught me, I was fibbing about missing the long hot Texas summers.

              -
               _|_
                 Jay -- Bing-GTX
                /\
                 Georgetown , TX USA

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 30, 2012
                Thought so.
                But we'll take ze leetle white lie. This once.

                Ok, you caught me, I was fibbing about missing the long hot Texas summers.

                -
                 _|_
                   Jay -- Bing-GTX
                  /\\
                   Georgetown, TX USA
                . “What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.”

                And I believe everything except that bit about missing Texas summers. You seem like a sane person to me, so you must be fibbing. =smile=

                Have fun in Utah!

                BarbJ/Tygress

                The New "Skinny" Fruit
                How This Strange 62-Cent African Fruit Is Making Americans Skinny.
                HLifestyles.com