For GSAK Users....

  • Bill Ellis
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 26, 2012
      I just wanted to share with everyone that I have been teaching myself how to write my own GSAK Macros.  I have created a couple to help with what I do with GSAK and I created and posted one to the GSAK Forums That may benefit more users than myself.  So I thought I would share it there and now I am sharing it here.

      You can read about and Download it here: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=22036&view=findpost&p=161515

      As I stated on the Post. I welcome and appreciate any constructive and helpful input.

      Thanks and Enjoy.

      --
      ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
      Bill
      a.k.a ZionZR2
      512-789-1469
      <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
    • Esther Lopez
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 26, 2012
        Bill, I am impressed! And I haven't even opened the macro.
        BGTx

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Apr 26, 2012, at 5:56 PM, Bill Ellis <zionzr2@...> wrote:

        I just wanted to share with everyone that I have been teaching myself how to write my own GSAK Macros.  I have created a couple to help with what I do with GSAK and I created and posted one to the GSAK Forums That may benefit more users than myself.  So I thought I would share it there and now I am sharing it here.

        You can read about and Download it here: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=22036&view=findpost&p=161515

        As I stated on the Post. I welcome and appreciate any constructive and helpful input.

        Thanks and Enjoy.

        --
        ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
        Bill
        a.k.a ZionZR2
        512-789-1469
        <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

        =
      • Matt Wilson
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 26, 2012

          Hehe.  My thoughts exactly!  Way to go!  --Matt / Kemis

          Bill, I am impressed! And I haven't even opened the macro.

          BGTx

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Apr 26, 2012, at 5:56 PM, Bill Ellis <zionzr2@...> wrote:

          I just wanted to share with everyone that I have been teaching myself how to write my own GSAK Macros.  I have created a couple to help with what I do with GSAK and I created and posted one to the GSAK Forums That may benefit more users than myself.  So I thought I would share it there and now I am sharing it here.

          You can read about and Download it here: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=22036&view=findpost&p=161515

          As I stated on the Post. I welcome and appreciate any constructive and helpful input.

          Thanks and Enjoy.

          --
          ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
          Bill
          a.k.a ZionZR2
          512-789-1469
          <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

          =

        • Gary Eckhardt
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 27, 2012

            Very nice!   I don’t have my caches organized that way, but I might now!

            With the new Groundspeak API, does anyone know if they included a “add to bookmark list” or a “delete from bookmark list” function?   I manage my PQ’s with bookmark lists – a “Caches to find” list and a “Found” list.  Whenever I make a find I have to manually add it to the found list and remove it from the caches to find list.   It sure would make things easier, but as far as I saw in GSAK, they didn’t include a function like that.  I didn’t know if that was because they just didn’t do it, or if Groundspeak doesn’t have that in their API.

                         --Gary

            Hehe.  My thoughts exactly!  Way to go!  --Matt / Kemis

            Bill, I am impressed! And I haven't even opened the macro.

            BGTx

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Apr 26, 2012, at 5:56 PM, Bill Ellis <zionzr2@...> wrote:

            I just wanted to share with everyone that I have been teaching myself how to write my own GSAK Macros.  I have created a couple to help with what I do with GSAK and I created and posted one to the GSAK Forums That may benefit more users than myself.  So I thought I would share it there and now I am sharing it here.

            You can read about and Download it here: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=22036&view=findpost&p=161515

            As I stated on the Post. I welcome and appreciate any constructive and helpful input.

            Thanks and Enjoy.

            --
            ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
            Bill
            a.k.a ZionZR2
            512-789-1469
            <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

            =

          • lignumaqua
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 27, 2012
              Groundspeak offers an 'Add to Bookmark' API function - and this is already implemented in GSAK in the 'Geocaching.com access' menu. GSAK allows you to add either the current cache or the current filter to a specified bookmark list.

              However, there are no functions provided to remove caches from bookmark lists. If/when it is added to the API then we'll add it to GSAK.

              FYI - the Help page for all the API functions can be found here:

              https://api.groundspeak.com/LiveV6/geocaching.svc/help

              Mike

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Gary Eckhardt <garynewsmail@...> wrote:

              > Very nice! I don’t have my caches organized that way, but I might now!
              >

              > With the new Groundspeak API, does anyone know if they included a “add to bookmark list” or a “delete from bookmark list” function? I manage my PQ’s with bookmark lists â€" a “Caches to find” list and a “Found” list. Whenever I make a find I have to manually add it to the found list and remove it from the caches to find list. It sure would make things easier, but as far as I saw in GSAK, they didn’t include a function like that. I didn’t know if that was because they just didn’t do it, or if Groundspeak doesn’t have that in their API.
              >

              > --Gary

            • Barbara
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 27, 2012
                I wonder what an "API function" is?

                Barbara ;) GiGi and JoJo

                On Apr 27, 2012, at 9:01 AM, "lignumaqua" <geocaching@...> wrote:

                Groundspeak offers an 'Add to Bookmark' API function - and this is already implemented in GSAK in the 'Geocaching.com access' menu. GSAK allows you to add either the current cache or the current filter to a specified bookmark list.

                However, there are no functions provided to remove caches from bookmark lists. If/when it is added to the API then we'll add it to GSAK.

                FYI - the Help page for all the API functions can be found here:

                https://api.groundspeak.com/LiveV6/geocaching.svc/help

                Mike

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Gary Eckhardt <garynewsmail@...> wrote:

                > Very nice! I don’t have my caches organized that way, but I might now!
                >

                > With the new Groundspeak API, does anyone know if they included a “add to bookmark list” or a “delete from bookmark list” function? I manage my PQ’s with bookmark lists â€" a “Caches to find” list and a “Found” list. Whenever I make a find I have to manually add it to the found list and remove it from the caches to find list. It sure would make things easier, but as far as I saw in GSAK, they didn’t include a function like that. I didn’t know if that was because they just didn’t do it, or if Groundspeak doesn’t have that in their API.
                >

                > --Gary

                =
              • electric_water_boy
                Message 7 of 9 , May 4, 2012
                  In my world API is American Petroleum Institute, but in GSAK world it is Application Programming Interface. From Webopedia:

                  "API, an abbreviation of application program interface, is a set of routines, protocols, and tools for building software applications. A good API makes it easier to develop a program by providing all the building blocks. A programmer then puts the blocks together.

                  Most operating environments, such as MS-Windows, provide an API so that programmers can write applications consistent with the operating environment. Although APIs are designed for programmers, they are ultimately good for users because they guarantee that all programs using a common API will have similar interfaces. This makes it easier for users to learn new programs."

                  EWB - Tom

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 4, 2012
                    So, the a function of the first definition of API would have better food but a function of the second definition may be more useful overall?

                    Russ the Waterweasel

                    In my world API is American Petroleum Institute, but in GSAK world it is Application Programming Interface. From Webopedia:

                    "API, an abbreviation of application program interface, is a set of routines, protocols, and tools for building software applications. A good API makes it easier to develop a program by providing all the building blocks. A programmer then puts the blocks together.

                    Most operating environments, such as MS-Windows, provide an API so that programmers can write applications consistent with the operating environment. Although APIs are designed for programmers, they are ultimately good for users because they guarantee that all programs using a common API will have similar interfaces. This makes it easier for users to learn new programs."

                    EWB - Tom

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Barbara <bjdukette@...> wrote:

                    > I wonder what an "API function" is?
                    >
                    > Barbara ;) GiGi and JoJo
                    >
                    > On Apr 27, 2012, at 9:01 AM, "lignumaqua" <geocaching@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Groundspeak offers an 'Add to Bookmark' API function - and this is already implemented in GSAK in the 'Geocaching.com access' menu. GSAK allows you to add either the current cache or the current filter to a specified bookmark list.
                    > >
                    > > However, there are no functions provided to remove caches from bookmark lists. If/when it is added to the API then we'll add it to GSAK.
                    > >
                    > > FYI - the Help page for all the API functions can be found here:
                    > >
                    > > https://api.groundspeak.com/LiveV6/geocaching.svc/help
                    > >
                    > > Mike
                    > >
                    > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Gary Eckhardt <garynewsmail@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Very nice! I don’t have my caches organized that way, but I might now!
                    > > >

                    > > > With the new Groundspeak API, does anyone know if they included a “add to bookmark list” or a “delete from bookmark list” function? I manage my PQ’s with bookmark lists â€" a “Caches to find” list and a “Found” list. Whenever I make a find I have to manually add it to the found list and remove it from the caches to find list. It sure would make things easier, but as far as I saw in GSAK, they didn’t include a function like that. I didn’t know if that was because they just didn’t do it, or if Groundspeak doesn’t have that in their API.
                    > > >

                    > > > --Gary

                  • Gary Eckhardt
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 4, 2012

                      Basically, the benefit of an API is that you don’t have to rely on “screen scraping” your data from a Groundspeak web page (something they really don’t like you doing).  The API talks directly to their system when performing a function, rather than sort of remote-controlling a web browser to do so.    The widespread use of the API probably won’t be seen, however, as they charge software developers a fee to have the privilege of using the API in their applications.   Many other sites (Google, for one) publishes their API to the world for free.  Groundspeak charges for their API because they also sell an application that uses it, and most likely, a better version of it as well.   I’ve always been in the camp of Groundspeak should be giving their app away for free to Premium members, or at least offering a discount, but I suppose they like to see the revenue coming in.

                      Ok, I’m off my soapbox now….