Re: Grabbers

  • Indigo Parrish
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24, 2012
      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Indigo Parrish" <indigo.parrish@...> wrote:

      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Denise Vajdak <denise.vajdak@> wrote:
      > >
      > > If you get the "Gopher" brand (the folding one) at Walmart in the "As Seen
      > > On TV" section, be careful as the suction cups tend to come unscrewed and
      > > fall off and then it just doesn't work at all. I broke two in our first
      > > couple of CITOs at Lake Somerville.
      > >
      > > Harbor Frieght has a straight one for $1.79 and it seems to work well. I
      > > don't know the name, but it's blue. At that price, you can buy several,
      > > but mine is still going strong.
      >
      > Thank you for the Harbor Freight pointer!
      > I'll pick one up on my way to Lake Somerville today.

      Everyone: you MUST get one of these grabbers from Harbor Freight.
      My daughter and I each got one and they worked perfectly at the CITO.

      Note: in Austin the Harbor Freight is in the same strip mall as Fry's.

      -Keith (Indigo Parrish)
    • Dave Read
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 24, 2012

        There is another Harbor Freight location in South Austin, on Lamar just north of 360. It’s in the same corner strip mall as Strait Music….

        Oh hell. What am I doing giving directions to a bunch of geocachers?  Go here: N 30 14.125 W 97 47.494

        > > If you get the "Gopher" brand (the folding one) at Walmart
        in the "As Seen
        > > On TV" section, be careful as the suction cups tend to come
        unscrewed and
        > > fall off and then it just doesn't work at all. I broke two in our
        first
        > > couple of CITOs at Lake Somerville.
        > >
        > > Harbor Frieght has a straight one for $1.79 and it seems to work
        well. I
        > > don't know the name, but it's blue. At that price, you can buy
        several,
        > > but mine is still going strong.
        >
        > Thank you for the Harbor Freight pointer!
        > I'll pick one up on my way to Lake Somerville today.

        Everyone: you MUST get one of these grabbers from Harbor Freight.
        My daughter and I each got one and they worked perfectly at the CITO.

        Note: in Austin the Harbor Freight is in the same strip mall as Fry's.

        -Keith (Indigo Parrish)

      • Bill Ellis
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 24, 2012
          There is also a Harbor Freight in South Austin on S. Lamar & Hwy 290

          --
          ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
          Bill
          a.k.a ZionZR2
          512-789-1469
          <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
        • Greg Jewett
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 25, 2012
            All..

            I have created an article on the website to give people pointers and reviews on "grabbers".
            Please let me know of any other brands you found, where you found them (brick and mortar, website, etc..), and PROs and CONs, etc..

            Input, yes, Input, …more input please!

            Greg Jewett
            Geocacher Handle:  GeoJewett
            (512) 627-7290
            geojewett (at) geocachingaustin.com
            http://geocaching.ejewett.com/

            From: Indigo Parrish <indigo.parrish@...>
            Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:18:25 -0000
            To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>

          • Matthew A
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 27, 2012
              Northern Tool + Equipment
              804 East Braker Lane, Austin, TX at intersection I35

              They have the cheap grabber for $2.99 that folds in half.
              There is also an industrial grabber for $9.99 that is much stronger.

              Matthew mda_taz