Roy G. Guerrero Park Bench Donation?

  • dn_shults
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 7, 2012
      So today, I was out volunteering to help with the new Disc Golf Course they are building in Roy G. Guerrero park (It's pretty impressive and I was pretty inspired by the teamwork on display.

      I have been kicking around this idea for a while, but I'll finally throw it out.
      What if we maybe built or donated a simple bench to the park before it opens? Furthermore, what if the bench itself was a cache or discoverable trackable? Or even if it was covered in donated coins and TBs?

      Just an idea. I figure we could use something like kickstarter to raise the money, and make installing it a CITO event?
      I really don't mind being as hands on as needed since I'm not working right now and I'm sorta' a little "in the loop", but I don't need to be in charge or anything since I don't have nice tools or money :)

      Just a dumb idea, to ingratiate us more to the parks dept and community while also raising awareness and possibly making a really memorable cache. I have some ideas for how we could do things somewhat easily, but I bet others here have better ones.

      Donald & Niki Shults (D+N.S)
    • Esther Lopez
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 7, 2012
        Donald,
        That sounds like a great project. Your idea has merit and we should (as a community) look into it. It could have a cache on or near it,  and also have bonus coords for another cache in the park. There are so many possiblilites. How about an event to brainstorm some?  I would love to participate when the time comes.
        Keep us posted,
        Esther/BGTx

        p.s. How much are we talking about for the bench?

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 7, 2012
          As long as I'm supporting not doing =stretched too thin= I think it's a GREAT idea.
          The trackable concept is cool, though building in a place for a cache is cool, too.

          -B/Tygress

[...]

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

          53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
          consumerproducts.com
        • dn_shults
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 7, 2012
            I'm excited about holding an event to brainstorm. I've never done it before though. How far out do you guys like to plan events? I would sort of like to get the bench thing done in a somewhat timely manner since the park isn't fully opened yet, and I'm looking for work... Is a week typically enough time? 2 weeks? 3?

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Esther Lopez <bigguy9211116@...> wrote:

            > Donald,
            > That sounds like a great project. Your idea has merit and we should (as a community) look into it. It could have a cache on or near it,  and also have bonus coords for another cache in the park. There are so many possiblilites. How about an event to brainstorm some?  I would love to participate when the time comes.
            > Keep us posted,
            > Esther/BGTx
            >
            > p.s. How much are we talking about for the bench?
            >

            > ________________________________

          • dn_shults
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 7, 2012
              Oh, and I always forget to put our name

              Donald & Niki (D+N.S)

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 8, 2012
                Takes two weeks to get an event approved.
                Experience suggests a place with room and counter service (which is why there are so many Rudy's and Mighty Fine events), though Catfish Parlour seemed to manage us well.
                My only diss against Rudy's & Mighty Fine is that some of us are vegetarians, so the limited menu isn't entirely fair. Doesn't stop 'em from coming.... but I wish... I wish... that there were such a place with wider variety. Or Freebirds had more seating area.

                Mostly, if you announce it, they will come.

                If they can.

                -BarbJ/Tygress

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 8, 2012
                  As I'm sure someone else has already said, Groundspeak has a 2 week minimum lead time to hold an event.

                  Russ the Waterweasel

                  I'm excited about holding an event to brainstorm. I've never done it before though. How far out do you guys like to plan events? I would sort of like to get the bench thing done in a somewhat timely manner since the park isn't fully opened yet, and I'm looking for work... Is a week typically enough time? 2 weeks? 3?

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Esther Lopez <bigguy9211116@...> wrote:

                  > Donald,
                  > That sounds like a great project. Your idea has merit and we should (as a community) look into it. It could have a cache on or near it,  and also have bonus coords for another cache in the park. There are so many possiblilites. How about an event to brainstorm some?  I would love to participate when the time comes.
                  > Keep us posted,
                  > Esther/BGTx
                  >
                  > p.s. How much are we talking about for the bench?
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • dn_shults
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 8, 2012
                    Alright I'll try the bare minimum and do 2 weeks. My wife and I are vegetarian ourselves, so I understand exactly that concern. I definitely never get too excited at the proposition of eating an expensive salad and french fries as a meal :)

                    Event forthcoming

                    Donald + Niki (D+N.S)

                    > Takes two weeks to get an event approved.Experience suggests a place with room and counter service (which is why there are so many Rudy's and Mighty Fine events), though Catfish Parlour seemed to manage us well.My only diss against Rudy's & Mighty Fine is that some of us are vegetarians, so the limited menu isn't entirely fair. Doesn't stop 'em from coming.... but I wish... I wish... that there were such a place with wider variety. Or Freebirds had more seating area. Mostly, if you announce it, they will come. If they can. -BarbJ/Tygress

                  • Kevin Mefford
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 8, 2012
                      While meals are certainly easy to organize meetings around, it's not required. Austin public libraries have meeting rooms you can reserve.

                      If your purpose is more "meeting" than "socializing", don't feel like you need to center it around any sort of food.

                      Kevin
                      KoosKoos

                      On Apr 8, 2012, at 3:10 PM, "dn_shults" <donald.shults@...> wrote:

                      Alright I'll try the bare minimum and do 2 weeks. My wife and I are vegetarian ourselves, so I understand exactly that concern. I definitely never get too excited at the proposition of eating an expensive salad and french fries as a meal :)

                      Event forthcoming

                      Donald + Niki (D+N.S)

                      > Takes two weeks to get an event approved.Experience suggests a place with room and counter service (which is why there are so many Rudy's and Mighty Fine events), though Catfish Parlour seemed to manage us well.My only diss against Rudy's & Mighty Fine is that some of us are vegetarians, so the limited menu isn't entirely fair. Doesn't stop 'em from coming.... but I wish... I wish... that there were such a place with wider variety. Or Freebirds had more seating area. Mostly, if you announce it, they will come. If they can. -BarbJ/Tygress

                    • Mrs. Captain Picard

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 8, 2012
                          Of course! :)
                          I was planning on doing that, sorry that I didn't express that very well. I'm currently involved in a volunteer project at the park, so getting in touch with the right people shouldn't be too hard. Especially since there are other interesting benches in the park as it is.
                          The event won't happen until I check that stuff out I suppose. You're right that we shouldn't assume it can even happen. Easter is probably a bad day for getting that info however. I was just trying to gauge interest.

                          -Donald (D+N.S)

                          > One thing that you might want to do as a first step is to contact the Parks
                          > Department and make sure that a "creative" park bench would be allowed and
                          > what sort of permission, design approvals, fees, construction standards,
                          > etc. etc. are involved so we know what we're getting into before we start
                          > making plans and raising money.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > Julie
                          > Mrs. Captain Picard
                          >
                          > On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM, dn_shults <donald.shults@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > **
                          > >

                          > > So today, I was out volunteering to help with the new Disc Golf Course
                          > > they are building in Roy G. Guerrero park (It's pretty impressive and I was
                          > > pretty inspired by the teamwork on display.
                          > >
                          > > I have been kicking around this idea for a while, but I'll finally throw
                          > > it out.
                          > > What if we maybe built or donated a simple bench to the park before it
                          > > opens? Furthermore, what if the bench itself was a cache or discoverable
                          > > trackable? Or even if it was covered in donated coins and TBs?
                          > >
                          > > Just an idea. I figure we could use something like kickstarter to raise
                          > > the money, and make installing it a CITO event?
                          > > I really don't mind being as hands on as needed since I'm not working
                          > > right now and I'm sorta' a little "in the loop", but I don't need to be in
                          > > charge or anything since I don't have nice tools or money :)
                          > >
                          > > Just a dumb idea, to ingratiate us more to the parks dept and community
                          > > while also raising awareness and possibly making a really memorable cache.
                          > > I have some ideas for how we could do things somewhat easily, but I bet
                          > > others here have better ones.
                          > >
                          > > Donald & Niki Shults (D+N.S)

                        • dn_shults
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 8, 2012
                            This is a good call!
                            The meal portion might mostly be distracting anyway, although it would be nice to keep things fairly upbeat and fun. Good feedback, thanks.

                            -Donald (D+N.S)

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 17, 2012
                              FYI I'm waiting on a reply to some e-mails, but I'll report back with some info on this.

                              -Donald (D+N.S)

                              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dn_shults" <donald.shults@...> wrote:

                              > So today, I was out volunteering to help with the new Disc Golf Course they are building in Roy G. Guerrero park (It's pretty impressive and I was pretty inspired by the teamwork on display.
                              >
                              > I have been kicking around this idea for a while, but I'll finally throw it out.
                              > What if we maybe built or donated a simple bench to the park before it opens? Furthermore, what if the bench itself was a cache or discoverable trackable? Or even if it was covered in donated coins and TBs?
                              >
                              > Just an idea. I figure we could use something like kickstarter to raise the money, and make installing it a CITO event?
                              > I really don't mind being as hands on as needed since I'm not working right now and I'm sorta' a little "in the loop", but I don't need to be in charge or anything since I don't have nice tools or money :)
                              >
                              > Just a dumb idea, to ingratiate us more to the parks dept and community while also raising awareness and possibly making a really memorable cache. I have some ideas for how we could do things somewhat easily, but I bet others here have better ones.
                              >
                              > Donald & Niki Shults (D+N.S)

                            • dn_shults
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 18, 2012
                                Okay,
                                So I got in touch with the right person and he told me this:

                                "Hi Donald,

                                Thanks so much for your interest in donating a bench to an Austin Park. We really appreciate it.

                                The two main options for donating a bench are:

                                1.) Donate a standard park bench from the park amenity catalog (Recycled Plastic Model is $650 plus shipping and install, Metal Bench is $1,800 plus shipping and install). The standard benches do not include any type of marker or plaque.
                                2.) Donate a memorial bench that comes with a dedication plaque ($2,400)

                                Unfortunately, the Parks Department cannot accept most homemade benches made from wood and similar materials. It is possible to consider a custom bench built by a craftsperson or artisan as long as the bench is of a comparable quality of construction to the standard benches and is made of similar durable and sustainable materials. Also, the bench could not include any markers or messaging or promote a particular hobby. This would be the exception to the standard benches and the design, materials and builder would need to be reviewed and approved in advance.

                                An artist designed and built item would be coordinated by the City's Art in Public Places Program.

                                Please let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything else you need."

                                And I asked this:
                                "I have a few more questions before I come back to the group with this. Forgive me if they are a little dumb:)
                                What sort of info can be put on a memorial bench? For example could it simply say

                                "Donated By:
                                Central TX Geocachers Assoc
                                Date - ##/##/####
                                TB#xxxxxxxxxx"

                                Or is that even too personalized (the number on the bottom is something geocachers could use to mark a "visit" the bench) of info?

                                Also, if a custom bench were created and approved as a piece of art, is there a possibility of still marking it with a "memorial plaque" if the $2,400 was paid?

                                Do you have any alternative ideas for things that could be possibly donated that we have maybe not considered.

                                I really appreciate your response and time. I hope we're not being too much of a bother.

                                Thank You,
                                Donald Shults"

                                Finally, he replied with this:
                                "Hi Donald,

                                These are good questions! No bother at all.

                                The memorial bench plaque has three lines of text. I don't see why we couldn't have the geocaching # on the plaque. We don't do company names or any type of advertising or cause marketing on the plaques, but any type of neutral message is ok. The main challenge is trying to make everything fit. Each line is approx 25-30 characters. This seems like a good option to me.

                                The only option for the plaque in the park is through the bench program.

                                I think this may be the best option to meet your needs for a donated item that includes the dedication language and the TB#. "

                                Is this worth having an event and discussing further, or should I drop it?