Re: Re[2]: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Segment of River Place Nature Trail C LOSED - Affects some caches

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2012
      Incorrigible
      Do not corrige

      ---------- Original Message ----------
      From: "John Daleske" <john@...>
      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re[2]: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Segment of River Place Nature Trail C LOSED - Affects some caches
      Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 10:20:57 -0500

      So, Tygress, how do you *really* feel?     ;-)

      On 3/24/2012 at 10:03:39 AM, <gumbietygress@...> wrote:

      I guess what particularly cheeses me off is how wrong headed it is.
      Keep a steady group of people going along a trail -- nature don't care! I watched two wild river otters go up a creek, pretty much intentionally ignoring all the folks there at Muir Woods. We would stay on our boardwalk, they had the creek. No interspecies problems. Same with bear and moose in Alaska.
      Only the law abiding will attend to a no tresspassing sign. And without a steady supply of suburban eyes, you're going to get illegal encampments -- and, regardless of how you feel sociologically, they are a MESS -- kids dumping, illegal dumping.... it's the areas where folks don't go in the greenbelts that get trashed. As geocachers we've SEEN this.
      Keep people moving through in a predictable manner, and nature adapts -- plus, we keep an eye on the area.

      Keeping folks out won't protect Panther Creek.

      But I think the folks making the call really have little understanding regarding the very eco zones they wish to save. This, is, of course, prejudice -- built from years of observing provably stupid responses to protecting species. [Such as a 'Don't Stop! Eagle's Nest' sign -- well, hell, EVERYBODY stopped then! And it was the Eagles who picked the spot overseeing two highways....]

      -B/Tygress