Re: West Texas Reviewer

  • semperquestio
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
      I had heard rumors (or wishful thinking?) that Texas was being divided into 3 or 4 regions with new reviewers to go with them. Perhaps it has actually come to pass.

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Indigo Parrish" <indigo.parrish@...> wrote:

      > Check this out :
      >
      > ;; West Texas Reviewer
      > http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=306e32a6-1162-4dca-a592-eaadc36a8065
      >
      > ;; Published Log by them (near Pecos River Bridge)
      > http://coord.info/GL7J2HBQ
      >
      > To my knowledge, this is the first time I've seen a traditional cache reviewer other than Prime Reviewer in Texas. I wonder what's up here?
      >
      > -Keith (Indigo Parrish)

    • John Baker
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012

        I saw that too when I was in West Texas a couple of weeks ago.
        John/thenkengrene

        On Mar 7, 2012 7:17 AM, "Esther Lopez" <bigguy9211116@...> wrote:

        Must be a new "Sheriff" in town!

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Mar 7, 2012, at 6:33 AM, "Indigo Parrish" <indigo.parrish@...> wrote:

        Check this out :

        ;; West Texas Reviewer
        http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=306e32a6-1162-4dca-a592-eaadc36a8065

        ;; Published Log by them (near Pecos River Bridge)
        http://coord.info/GL7J2HBQ

        To my knowledge, this is the first time I've seen a traditional cache reviewer other than Prime Reviewer in Texas. I wonder what's up here?

        -Keith (Indigo Parrish)

        =
      • Richard
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
          Bring back NineKey!

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Indigo Parrish" <indigo.parrish@...> wrote:

          > Check this out :
          >
          > ;; West Texas Reviewer
          > http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=306e32a6-1162-4dca-a592-eaadc36a8065
          >
          > ;; Published Log by them (near Pecos River Bridge)
          > http://coord.info/GL7J2HBQ
          >
          > To my knowledge, this is the first time I've seen a traditional cache reviewer other than Prime Reviewer in Texas. I wonder what's up here?
          >
          > -Keith (Indigo Parrish)

        • Shawn Olsen

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <rtyoungster@...> wrote:

              > Bring back NineKey!

              It'll never happen, Dick. Will was just way too "color outside the lines" for Groundspeak to tolerate. <sigh>

              Candy
              moosiegirl
            • Jay Bingham
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012

                I made a suggestion to that effect probably about six months ago. Perhaps it is actually happening, it is hard to tell since the suggestion mechanism has been changed in the mean time.

                To me it just seems like it is asking a lot to ask one person to administer all of Texas when a state the size of Rhode Island (1,045 square miles of land area) has its own reviewer. Why is one person asked to review all of the caches in Texas (268,820 square miles of land area)? Granted Texas is not as densely populated in many areas as is Rhode Island, but you can put 257.24 Rhode Islands in Texas, heck, can probably find some chunks land in Texas the size of Rhode Island that don’t have a cache in them. Even so with only 3 or 4 reviewers for the entire state they are still going to have a lot more work to do to keep up with the caches in their areas than the reviewer in Rhode Island .

                --| Jay / Bing-GTX

                href="http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=306e32a6-1162-4dca-a592-eaadc36a8065">http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=306e32a6-1162-4dca-a592-eaadc36a8065

                > ;; Published Log by them (near Pecos
                River Bridge )
                > http://coord.info/GL7J2HBQ
                >
                > To my knowledge, this is the first time I've seen a traditional cache
                reviewer other than Prime Reviewer in Texas . I wonder what's up here?

                > -Keith (Indigo Parrish)

              • Indigo Parrish
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Jay Bingham <binghamjc@...> wrote:

                  > I made a suggestion to that effect probably about six months ago. Perhaps it
                  > is actually happening, it is hard to tell since the suggestion mechanism has
                  > been changed in the mean time.
                  >
                  > To me it just seems like it is asking a lot to ask one person to administer
                  > all of Texas when a state the size of Rhode Island (1,045 square miles of
                  > land area) has its own reviewer. Why is one person asked to review all of
                  > the caches in Texas (268,820 square miles of land area)? Granted Texas is
                  > not as densely populated in many areas as is Rhode Island, but you can put
                  > 257.24 Rhode Islands in Texas, heck, can probably find some chunks land in
                  > Texas the size of Rhode Island that don't have a cache in them. Even so with
                  > only 3 or 4 reviewers for the entire state they are still going to have a
                  > lot more work to do to keep up with the caches in their areas than the
                  > reviewer in Rhode Island.

                  It cracks me up that Texas is 257x as large as Rhode Island.
                  With 254 counties in Texas that means that the AVERAGE county
                  in Texas is STILL bigger than Rhode Island :)

                  West Texas Reviewer must indeed be pretty new --

                  I see the Groundspeak Wiki still only lists Prime Reviewer :

                  https://wiki.groundspeak.com/display/GEO/Texas

                  -Keith (Indigo Parrish)
                • semperquestio
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
                    Yeah, I first saw this suggestion come up several years ago in the wake of the 9key incident and the subsequent Great Texas Revolt.

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Jay Bingham <binghamjc@...> wrote:

                    > I made a suggestion to that effect probably about six months ago. Perhaps it
                    > is actually happening, it is hard to tell since the suggestion mechanism has
                    > been changed in the mean time.
                    >
                    > To me it just seems like it is asking a lot to ask one person to administer
                    > all of Texas when a state the size of Rhode Island (1,045 square miles of
                    > land area) has its own reviewer. Why is one person asked to review all of
                    > the caches in Texas (268,820 square miles of land area)? Granted Texas is
                    > not as densely populated in many areas as is Rhode Island, but you can put
                    > 257.24 Rhode Islands in Texas, heck, can probably find some chunks land in
                    > Texas the size of Rhode Island that don't have a cache in them. Even so with
                    > only 3 or 4 reviewers for the entire state they are still going to have a
                    > lot more work to do to keep up with the caches in their areas than the
                    > reviewer in Rhode Island.
                    >

                    > --| Jay / Bing-GTX
                    > |+| Georgetown, TX USA
                    > |-- "What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for."
                    >

                    > _____

                  • Kevin (KoosKoos)
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
                      The problem is that Groundspeak doesn't take suggestions for new reviewers from the field.  The only time they add reviewers is when a current reviewer asks for more help or their general 3 day turnaround time for publishing is getting too long.

                      Our reviewer has been able to stay on top of the queue for the most part and hasn't been asking for assistance, so we've had the single reviewer since our 2nd one resigned.

                      I'd love to see several reviewers in Texas and hope this is the step toward that.  and not that Prime isn't just creating sock puppets to throw us all off. ;)

                      Kevin
                      KoosKoos

                      On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM, semperquestio <sqcaching@...> wrote:

                      Yeah, I first saw this suggestion come up several years ago in the wake of the 9key incident and the subsequent Great Texas Revolt.

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Jay Bingham <binghamjc@...> wrote:

                      > I made a suggestion to that effect probably about six months ago. Perhaps it
                      > is actually happening, it is hard to tell since the suggestion mechanism has
                      > been changed in the mean time.
                      >
                      > To me it just seems like it is asking a lot to ask one person to administer
                      > all of Texas when a state the size of Rhode Island (1,045 square miles of
                      > land area) has its own reviewer. Why is one person asked to review all of
                      > the caches in Texas (268,820 square miles of land area)? Granted Texas is
                      > not as densely populated in many areas as is Rhode Island, but you can put
                      > 257.24 Rhode Islands in Texas, heck, can probably find some chunks land in
                      > Texas the size of Rhode Island that don't have a cache in them. Even so with
                      > only 3 or 4 reviewers for the entire state they are still going to have a
                      > lot more work to do to keep up with the caches in their areas than the
                      > reviewer in Rhode Island.
                      >

                      > --| Jay / Bing-GTX
                      > |+| Georgetown, TX USA
                      > |-- "What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for."
                      >

                      > _____

                    • lowracer
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
                        HA! "West Texas Reviewer" is one of my many sock puppets. I've been working behind the scenes secretly since the great Texas revolt of 2003/2004 to gain the trust of the overlords in Seattle and it has finally paid off.

                        Let's just say that it's going to be real easy to get all sorts of caches approved in West Texas now. If you have any special requests you can paypal bribes to west_texas_sockpuppet_bribes at yahoo.com.

                        BTW for those who still don't have an autographed copy of my Geocaching Murder Mystery novel "First to Find," I have a handful of signed trade paperbacks left at this link for $15.99ea:

                        https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/first-to-find-novel-trade-paperback-21305.html

                        These make great gifts for that Geocacher on your Easter gift list (yes there's still plenty of time to get your Easter gift under the Easter egg tree) and if you purchase three copies I will include a free business card complete with QR code, a $0.03 value.

                        I sure do miss all you Austin cachers. Stop by if you're ever in Dallas. (Like that will ever happen!) ;-)

                        -Mark
                        aka lowracer

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Indigo Parrish" <indigo.parrish@...> wrote:

                        > Check this out :
                        >
                        > ;; West Texas Reviewer
                        > http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=306e32a6-1162-4dca-a592-eaadc36a8065
                        >
                        > ;; Published Log by them (near Pecos River Bridge)
                        > http://coord.info/GL7J2HBQ
                        >
                        > To my knowledge, this is the first time I've seen a traditional cache reviewer other than Prime Reviewer in Texas. I wonder what's up here?
                        >
                        > -Keith (Indigo Parrish)

                      • angelikafuller
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 8, 2012
                          Can you enlighten those of us who don't know about the Great Texas Revolt?

                          -Bicycle_Junkie/Angelika

                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "semperquestio" <sqcaching@...> wrote:

                          > Yeah, I first saw this suggestion come up several years ago in the wake of the 9key incident and the subsequent Great Texas Revolt.
                          >

                          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Jay Bingham <binghamjc@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I made a suggestion to that effect probably about six months ago. Perhaps it
                          > > is actually happening, it is hard to tell since the suggestion mechanism has
                          > > been changed in the mean time.
                          > >
                          > > To me it just seems like it is asking a lot to ask one person to administer
                          > > all of Texas when a state the size of Rhode Island (1,045 square miles of
                          > > land area) has its own reviewer. Why is one person asked to review all of
                          > > the caches in Texas (268,820 square miles of land area)? Granted Texas is
                          > > not as densely populated in many areas as is Rhode Island, but you can put
                          > > 257.24 Rhode Islands in Texas, heck, can probably find some chunks land in
                          > > Texas the size of Rhode Island that don't have a cache in them. Even so with
                          > > only 3 or 4 reviewers for the entire state they are still going to have a
                          > > lot more work to do to keep up with the caches in their areas than the
                          > > reviewer in Rhode Island.
                          > >

                          > > --| Jay / Bing-GTX
                          > > |+| Georgetown, TX USA
                          > > |-- "What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for."
                          > >

                          > > _____

                        • semperquestio
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 8, 2012
                            I don't remember all the particulars, but a few years ago a lot of Texas cachers got mightily upset with Groundspeak. There were a few efforts at making 1 or 2 Texas-centric geocaching sites and there was a lot of talk of bailing from geocaching.com in favor of terracaching and/or navicache. Some cachers just quit caching. It was a brief, but kind of ugly, period and Texas cachers still carry a bit of a reputation of being troublemakers. It comes up in the Groundspeak forums from time to time in one form or another, usually now centered around Texas having only 1 reviewer as compared to WA, CA, the UK, etc.