Sometimes Island caches -- get out there soon!

  • Dave Read
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20 5:56 PM

      The family and I went out to snag all three of the “Sometimes” caches out by Mansfield Dam today. Contrary to previous reports, it is not possible to walk there without getting your feet wet. We had to wade through about a 20 foot wide stretch of water. It was only about a foot deep at the deepest, but the LCRA reports that the lake level is rising. If the rains keep up like they’ve been going for the past month, it’s entirely possible that these three caches will not be accessible much longer without a boat or a swim.

      So: if you’re considering getting these caches, the time to do it might be now!

      BTW, the hike out to the caches is easy and the landscape is entertaining just because it’s so unusual and rare. I highly recommend these caches just for the alien scenery!

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20 6:44 PM
        Oddly enough, that's good news!

        Russ the Waterweasel

        The family and I went out to snag all three of the “Sometimes” caches out by Mansfield Dam today. Contrary to previous reports, it is not possible to walk there without getting your feet wet. We had to wade through about a 20 foot wide stretch of water. It was only about a foot deep at the deepest, but the LCRA reports that the lake level is rising. If the rains keep up like they’ve been going for the past month, it’s entirely possible that these three caches will not be accessible much longer without a boat or a swim.

        So: if you’re considering getting these caches, the time to do it might be now!

        BTW, the hike out to the caches is easy and the landscape is entertaining just because it’s so unusual and rare. I highly recommend these caches just for the alien scenery!

      • Shawn Olsen
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20 6:47 PM
          I was secretly thinking that hiding geocaches on sometimes island would cause some supernatural rain events!
          Good news indeed!
          Shawn/s6

          On Feb 20, 2012, at 8:44 PM, Russ Jernigan <waterweasel@...> wrote:

          Oddly enough, that's good news!

          Russ the Waterweasel

          The family and I went out to snag all three of the “Sometimes” caches out by Mansfield Dam today. Contrary to previous reports, it is not possible to walk there without getting your feet wet. We had to wade through about a 20 foot wide stretch of water. It was only about a foot deep at the deepest, but the LCRA reports that the lake level is rising. If the rains keep up like they’ve been going for the past month, it’s entirely possible that these three caches will not be accessible much longer without a boat or a swim.

          So: if you’re considering getting these caches, the time to do it might be now!

          BTW, the hike out to the caches is easy and the landscape is entertaining just because it’s so unusual and rare. I highly recommend these caches just for the alien scenery!

        • wearegaughen
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27 3:02 PM
            As of today (Feb 27) the water is at least waist high. Upon crossing over it was up to the top of my stomach but I found a slightly shallower way back, where the water only came up to my waist. I'm 5'9" so it's a good three feet deep, meaning it's risen two feet in the last week. It seems to not be as deep on the more northerly side of the crossing.
            But hurry! The longer you wait the more difficult these are going to be.
            --Brendan / WeAreGaughen

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Shawn Olsen <shawnolsen@...> wrote:

            > I was secretly thinking that hiding geocaches on sometimes island would cause some supernatural rain events!
            > Good news indeed!
            > Shawn/s6
            >
            > On Feb 20, 2012, at 8:44 PM, Russ Jernigan <waterweasel@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Oddly enough, that's good news!
            > >

            > > Russ the Waterweasel

          • Vicki L. Almstrum
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 27 3:39 PM
              We had considered trying to get out onto Sometimes Islands on Saturday, but changed our minds when the gate-keeper told us about the depth at that point. He said it was likely that the levels will continue to vary, sometimes being lower. He gave us a business card with a number we could call to check levels. Don' t have the card in hand, but if anyone is interested in getting it, please let me know and I'll post it.

              -- Vicki / FG2 in FiedoGang