Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] How totally random

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 10, 2012
      Midway or Ohare?

      Pretty certain I searched of one at Midway but may be wrong . . .

      Russ the Waterweasel

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 10, 2012
        GC5165!  Boy, you couldn't place a cache like that today!  TreyB and I got that one way back in 2006.  We saw it, but we weren't sure we could get to it without going out of the secure area.  We kept walking and about a half mile later, we were there!

        I still remember the answer, too!

        The San Diego airport has a virtual at a sculpture right on the sidewalk outside the luggage area, but that's not the same.

        Cheers,

        On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Dave Read <dave@...> wrote:

        I'm flying back from the DC area today, connecting thru Chicago. I have been playing with the geocaching app on my new company-issued iPhone 4S all day to see if it's any better than it was on the old 3GS I had (it is), and I accidentally searched for caches while my plane was taxiing to the terminal. Lo and Behold! There's a virtual *inside* the airport...and it's at the gate right next to my flight to Austin!

        So if any of you find yourselves connecting thru Chicago, head for the B concourse and put Illinois on your caching map!

        p.s. the new iPhone is waaaaay better for caching than the old one. I'm getting sub-20 foot accuracy on it...the best the 3GS ever reported was 55 feet, with an average error of closer to 150. I actually found a cache in a forested location today using only the phone!

      • Dave Read
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 10, 2012
          O'Hare. GC5165.

          Now I just hope the snow lets up and I can make my flight home tonight.

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 10, 2012
              Hey! I found that one last summer. Consider yourself lucky. I started on the opposite side and DNF'd it the first time. My flight was delayed so off
              I go AGAIN! My exercise for the day and a smiley as
              My reward.
              I got the 4S for Xmas  and have had good results.  I am almost
              Tempted to use it to hide a cache just to see how it does.
              Have a safe flight.
              Esther/ BGTx

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Feb 10, 2012, at 5:11 PM, Dave Read <dave@...> wrote:

[...]

              =
            • Jay Bingham
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 10, 2012

                Cool, last time I was in O Hare was way before geocaching was even invented. Bummer that you have to fly to Chicago to get to Austin from DC.

                Glad to hear that the 4S has better a GPS than the 3GS. I don’t have either of those phones, I have an HTC running Windows 6.1, but the GPS in it is pretty good most of the time, I have never used it to hide a cache, but it does great for finding them especially when I use the map mode to navigate.

                +-+ Jay - Bing-GTX
                |+| Georgetown , TX USA

                I'm flying back from the DC area today, connecting thru Chicago . I have been playing with the geocaching app on my new company-issued iPhone 4S all day to see if it's any better than it was on the old 3GS I had (it is), and I accidentally searched for caches while my plane was taxiing to the terminal. Lo and Behold! There's a virtual *inside* the airport...and it's at the gate right next to my flight to Austin !

                So if any of you find yourselves connecting thru Chicago , head for the B concourse and put Illinois on your caching map!

                p.s. the new iPhone is waaaaay better for caching than the old one. I'm getting sub-20 foot accuracy on it...the best the 3GS ever reported was 55 feet, with an average error of closer to 150. I actually found a cache in a forested location today using only the phone!

              • Greg Jewett
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 11, 2012
                  Just say Noooo!  This is from a fellow iPhone 4s Geocacher! :)   But I guess if you make it obvious in your description and hint that you did it with the iPhone and to expect possible bad coordinates just to see how bad they are.

                  Greg Jewett
                  Geocacher Handle:  GeoJewett
                  (512) 627-7290
                  geojewett (at) geocachingaustin.com