Re: Best GPS for the Texas Challenge?

  • semperquestio
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2012
      I absolutely LOVE my 60csx, even with its limitations. And after long discussions with folks about the newer Garmins and the Delorme's, I will most likely replace it with another one when it dies if I can still find one by then. They are tough as nails, absurdly accurate, a breeze to use, and have a killer signal lock. If you want to go that route, you can find them for a LOT less than the cost of most, if not all, of the top-of-the-line gizmos with all the uber-cool bells and whistles out there today.

      For the paperless part, I use Cachemate for my regular PQ-loaded caches (using GSAK, of course) to see the descriptions, hints, prior logs, and to post field notes. I use the Geocaching app on my phone for on-the-fly lookups and to get more logs on my pre-loaded caches. But even when I use that, I very nearly always put the coords into my trusty 60csx to make the find. Most of the time the phone GPS is too wonky and the Geocaching app is too slow for my taste.

      OK. So call me old school if ya want. At least I'm not still using my old Maggie ST Map and reams of paper! :D