Re[2]: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Best GPS for the Texas Challenge?

  • John Daleske
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2012
      Yes, I've heard this from a number of folks.  You can bet I will use a GPSr or ask a friend with one to come validate before publishing.

      I'm certainly glad the CO for "Goblin's Overlook" had a reasonably accurate location.  Crawling all over those cliffs (more than I did) would not have been fun.

      + John
      (Great feedback folks!  Very helpful!)

      On 2/1/2012 at 10:57:33 AM, Dave Read <dave@...> wrote:

      This is wisdom. I spent an hour searching for a new cache in the Barton Greenbelt last week, only to strike out. I learned later that the hider had been using an iPhone. When I found the cache (the CO added some directions to it in the hints), I measured 100+ feet from the cache to the posted coordinates. Gah.

      From: "moosiegirltx" <candylind@...>
      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 16:16:59 -0000

      Just one warning - once you get a GPS you won't want to go back to using your phone! I suggest you try to set up some geocaching trips with locals who can show you how their units work, what map software they use, and will let you get a feel for it. I've always used Garmin products - I'm still with a GPSMAP 76CSx simply because I can't afford to upgrade to the latest and greatest "standard" handheld (although I know some people who don't like the latest generation as much as the gen I'm using), nor have I ever had the chance to try out the tough-screen line from Garmin either. I know people who own DeLorme's and love them, but I've never had the chance to try one out. In any case, once you get a chance to try a few out, buy a unit from a place that will allow you to return it in a reasonable time frame if you decide you hate it. You'll pay more for that luxury but it is worth it.

      Good luck!
      Candy
      moosiegirl

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "jddaleske" <john@...> wrote:

      > Next, I need recommendations on best GPS.

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:

      The New "Skinny" Fruit
      How This Strange 62-Cent African Fruit Is Making Americans Skinny.
      HLifestyles.com